PDA

View Full Version : Frame pump

Andreu
09-13-2004, 08:34 AM
I am thinking of going back to frame pumps after having a couple of bad experiences with pumps/CO2.

Some stupid questions:

1. Do they make frame pumps in different sizes so that they fit perfectly? (had one near miss with a pump popping out once and nearly entangling my spokes).
2. I remember them rubbing the paint on my old Tomassini....not badly scratching the paint work but causing very very fine lines. Can this be avoided?
3. Does anyone make custom frame pumps or is it pot luck depending on what the manufacture wants to paint ´em or the material he uses?

Ta
A

Jeff N.
09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Zefal frame pumps are best, IMO, and they make sizes to fit the majority of frames. Jeff N.

dbrk
09-13-2004, 09:16 AM
1. Do they make frame pumps in different sizes so that they fit perfectly? (had one near miss with a pump popping out once and nearly entangling my spokes).
2. I remember them rubbing the paint on my old Tomassini....not badly scratching the paint work but causing very very fine lines. Can this be avoided?
3. Does anyone make custom frame pumps or is it pot luck depending on what the manufacture wants to paint ´em or the material he uses?
A

1. Yes, most frame pumps come in three sizes or more. Measure the insides of the top tube. The Zefals fit more snuggly than the Silcas.
2. I use a piece of electrical tape on the end of the pump peg.
3. Mike Barry has painted frame pumps to match my Mariposas and I think JB will do so if you ask really nicely. Otherwise it's black or silver, of course.

dbrk
who thinks bikes without pump pegs are missing something...I bring both a pump and the dreaded CO2 (which I only use under duress for the environmental guilt that ensues and because I hate them (that being irrational, mostly...)

cpg
09-13-2004, 09:26 AM
who thinks bikes without pump pegs are missing something...I bring both a pump and the dreaded CO2 (which I only use under duress for the environmental guilt that ensues and because I hate them (that being irrational, mostly...)

I wholeheartedly agree with dbrk. A road bike without a pump peg isn't as roadworthy as one with a pump nubby.

Ahneida Ride
09-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Zefal may not be perfect but the High Pressure (HP) version works. I usually bail other cyclists with it. 4 sizes are available.

Andreu
09-13-2004, 09:54 AM
We don´t tend to get too many punctures here (luckily) but invariably after messing about with CarbonO2 and trying to get air in with mini-pumps (the minaturisation disease has transferred from mobile phones to other aspects of our lives including cycling) we are always glad someone is there with a grown-up frame pump!
A :beer:

Moveitfred
09-13-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm sure many of you remember back in the day when custom frames came with a matching, painted pump. My 25 year old Davidson still sports its matching black Silca pump that fits snugly along the top tube. Heck, bikes used to come with pedals too. I still think frame pumps are the way to go. There's also the option of the small ones that mount under bottle cages--they sit snugly suspended right off the frame, ie, no paint scratches.

Bradford
09-13-2004, 10:09 AM
I have the Zefal XP on my touring bike and it works very well. It fits between the seat post and the rear wheel, one of the nice features of a proper touring bike.

I don't like having a pump under my top tube, so I use a Topeak Road Morph on my road bike. It fits under the down tube, where the third water bottle would be on a touring bike. It is so inconspicuous I forget that I have it on and it doesn’t scratch the paint. The Road Morph is like a little floor pump with fold out foot hold and a flexible hose so you don’t tear off the valve stem. It even has a built in gauge. I can get mine up to about 100 psi without too much trouble. My pump is silver and black, which matches my decals, so I never really thought much about the color. Also, considering that my components are a mix of silver and black, it seems to match just fine.

Spectrum Bob
09-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Moveitfred
Spectrums come with a pump pegs and matching frame pumps; mine even matches the bleed of my top tube. I bought it built up and it came with my choice of peddles. The record kit included the speed play ti pedals. What a deal!

christian
09-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Zefal may not be perfect but the High Pressure (HP) version works. I usually bail other cyclists with it. 4 sizes are available.

I rode the TA Century in NYC yesterday. I used my HPX to pump a 650c tire for a guy. His Crank Brothers pump couldn't manage 50 psi, but the HPX just got a little hot at over 100 psi, but kept pushing in air.

Love the HPX.

- Christian

davep
09-13-2004, 02:33 PM
I recently bought a Zefal HPX for a travel bike, since you aren't supposed to fly with CO2. At the recent TdFL I pumped my tires up as much as I could and then borrowed a floor pump to get them up to pressure (I usually like 110psi). When I put on the head I was surprised when the gauge on the floor pump read 120psi. Considering the performance, not having to worry about running out of cartridges (I know its a small worry) and the environmental considerations, I think I'll use it for all my riding.

Louis
09-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Got my first flat in over a year on Saturday. My Blackburn frame pump, (full size), which I had never used before, worked fine. I can't see myself ever going to CO2, but you never know. I have no problem with the slight weight penalty of with a full-size pump. It's nice to be able to get the tire up to 95% of the floor pump's pressure without a gazillion number of strokes.

The only bummer is that the tire will have to be retired (ha ha) but it was getting pretty old anyway.

Louis

Too Tall
09-13-2004, 04:17 PM
I feel like a dittohead saying this but here goes. If I were leaving the house for a very long ride with uncertain support options or multi-day no question I'd reach for my ancient and reliable Zephal HP. However, because I am vain and dig the panache of traditional Silca Pumps...is my daily grind. Silca is very light and the XL version easily pumps to 90+ PSI and it takes paint nicely. Use a snip of 700c innertube slipped over the pump handle end to stop frame rub and secure the pump head end with a small velcro strap.

bostondrunk
09-13-2004, 04:35 PM
don't ya just cringe when you see a real nice bike with......a frame pump attached to it?!?!?! I know, necessary evil for some....yuk.
I use tubies, and I honestly flat so rarely that I just take a cell phone, and accept that I'll find a way home, call for a ride, or ride on the flat.
I'm rarely out in the middle of 'nowhere' on my training rides... :bike: