PDA

View Full Version : BB30 BB shells-I can get one....

rayhuang
04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
So it all starts like this. I am having local frame builder Zak Dieringer build me a Deddaciai shaped steel SS/Fixie cyclocross frame. I had thought I'd like to make it BB30 BB, but there are no readily available shells that I know of. I contacted a supplier I had hoped to work with a few months ago and asked for a quote and possibility on making steel, aluminum and TI BB shells for me.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they could and in all three materials. Probalem I have is to get a decent price I of course need ot buy in qty. not a huge amount, but enough to make it non-worthwhile.

I can see this being a nice little niche product to have as I too hope to start making frames over the next few years (hobby at first of course).

But heres the million doll hairs question. Do any frame builders want to make BB30 frames and are they geting any requests?

I am NOT a frame builder so I have other questions as I learn about all of this. One further question is what type of steel , alum and Ti are best (easiest to machine and weld) nd of course are stiff enough for a BB?

TIA,
Ray

CaptStash
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Million Doll Hairs?

That's a new one on me.

smudgecycles
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
So it all starts like this. I am having local frame builder Zak Dieringer build me a Deddaciai shaped steel SS/Fixie cyclocross frame. I had thought I'd like to make it BB30 BB, but there are no readily available shells that I know of. I contacted a supplier I had hoped to work with a few months ago and asked for a quote and possibility on making steel, aluminum and TI BB shells for me.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they could and in all three materials. Probalem I have is to get a decent price I of course need ot buy in qty. not a huge amount, but enough to make it non-worthwhile.

I can see this being a nice little niche product to have as I too hope to start making frames over the next few years (hobby at first of course).

But heres the million doll hairs question. Do any frame builders want to make BB30 frames and are they geting any requests?

I am NOT a frame builder so I have other questions as I learn about all of this. One further question is what type of steel , alum and Ti are best (easiest to machine and weld) nd of course are stiff enough for a BB?

TIA,
Ray

I bet more builders will start once cranks become more readily available but only at the prodding of their customers.

I know Paragon just did a run of ti shells, give them a call to see if they've got some steel ones down the pipe.

Maxsec
04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I was wanting a BB30 bottom bracket shell when I was having a Titanium hardtail made for me by Carl Strong this winter. I had emailed Paragon Machine Works, who more or less said I was stupid for wanting this, that nobody else was wanting it, that it provided no advantages over a standard BB and that the larger bottom bracket would be too heavy.

I responded with the advantages of design and that the BB shell wouldn't be that heavy if he made it out of 6/4 ti. I also let him know that if he made it, people would buy it. He didn't believe me.

Right after Carl started on my frame, I got an email from Paragon Machine Works letting me know that they are now making a Ti BB30 bottom bracket. When he was at NAHBS, he realized the demand.

Too bad he decided to let me know one week too late, I was really wanting to use Cannondale's 2x9 crankset. I might see if I can get it to work with Zipp's BB30 bottom bracket, which fits in a normal shell.

Anyway, yes you can get a ti BB30 bottom bracket.

Also, my hardtail is really sweet. I'll post pictures on here within the next week.

rayhuang
04-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I will keep doing research. I am having a sample made and shipped to me very soon. The sample will be Ti. Probably 6Al4V, but production ones may be different spec.

timto
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Ray you should post your question on this board. Lots of builders of all kinds frequent there to share info etc. Fun place!

http://www.frameforum.org/forum3/index.php

cheers

tim

musgravecycles
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I looked into doing a BB30 frame.

Kirk Pacenti convinced me that the Shimano standard will be better. He spoke of having Paragon do a run of shells for him, don't know if anything has ever come of it.

Does this mean I have to pay his 30 percentmo now...

rayhuang
04-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Ray you should post your question on this board. Lots of builders of all kinds frequent there to share info etc. Fun place!

http://www.frameforum.org/forum3/index.php

cheers

tim

Thanks Tim. I registered on the forum. I decided to go ahead and get a sample (did I already say that??) and then put together a full order of 4130, 7005, 3/2.5Ti and maybe 316 Stainless if they have all the materials in stock. I may end up with a bunch of BB in my warehouse for a 100 years or maybe there is a need. I think there is a small one.

Kirk Pacenti
04-13-2008, 07:55 AM
I looked into doing a BB30 frame.

Kirk Pacenti convinced me that the Shimano standard will be better. He spoke of having Paragon do a run of shells for him, don't know if anything has ever come of it.

Does this mean I have to pay his 30 percentmo now...

I have since (the Taipei show) modified my position on BB30. While I still think the Shimano version is / will be much easier for small builders to work with, I now think BB30 will emerge as the standard in just a couple more years.

I even think I heard that Shimano may also get on board with the BB30 system, though I have not confirmed that yet. Iirc, FSA is already making adapter kits for most non-BB30 cranks to work with the new shell size.

Cheers,

KP

wawa42p
04-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Folks,

I've got a deposit on a Kirk. He estimates my build in about 11 months. It's a gift from my Mom, so I'm planning on keeping this bike forever. At this point I'm planning on a lugged bike, and I'm also inclined toward the bb30 standard. So if someone comes up with a lugged bb30 steel shell I'll be forever grateful. I'd even be happy with a steel plain bb30 shell since Dave can fillet braze it, and I like that construction technique as well.

Regards,
Wayne

Elefantino
05-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I really like the BB30's looks and hopes it becomes the standard.

Maybe someone from Serotta can weigh in?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/tech/features/seaotter_tech408/BB30_cutaway.jpg

aLexis
05-01-2008, 07:53 AM
I responded with the advantages of design and that the BB shell wouldn't be that heavy if he made it out of 6/4 ti. I also let him know that if he made it, people would buy it. He didn't believe me.

6/4 would be crazy expensive for a BB shell.

Kirk Pacenti
05-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi Folks,

I've got a deposit on a Kirk. He estimates my build in about 11 months. It's a gift from my Mom, so I'm planning on keeping this bike forever. At this point I'm planning on a lugged bike, and I'm also inclined toward the bb30 standard. So if someone comes up with a lugged bb30 steel shell I'll be forever grateful. I'd even be happy with a steel plain bb30 shell since Dave can fillet braze it, and I like that construction technique as well.

Regards,
Wayne

I am tempted to do this...

J.Greene
05-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Crazy question....doesn't the bigger seals of the bearings increase drag. Do the larger stainless bearings not offset any weight loss?

JG

WickedWheels
05-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Are the same people that are poo-poo'ing integrated headsets saying that they want BB30?

nicrump
05-01-2008, 08:52 AM
BB30 make so much more sense than shimano or campy outboard. if the goal is a larger dia spindle and larger dia bearing track(the merits of which are in hot debate but no question in my mind that larger is more efficient) then why continue to work within the confines of the ~ 1.37” circle??

Elefantino
05-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Are the same people that are poo-poo'ing integrated headsets saying that they want BB30?
No. It's the same people who poo-pooed threadless headsets.

Vancouverdave
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I know very little about BB30, but have a fair amount of experience servicing old (pre-Trek) Kleins, which used square tapered spindles with oversized (close to 30mm) pressed-in cartridge bearings. I don't think Klein used an especially fancy grade of bearing, but these systems outwore everything loose bearing or cartridge of their time. Gary Klein might have been figuring out that he should fit his bikes with cartridges containing 1/4" balls--same as serviceable BB's. Other cartridge bb's for standard shells use bearings from 1/8" (Dura Ace 7700) to 3/16". Older Klein bb's, unless you use absolutely garbage quality bearing cartridges in them, will roll smoothly as silk at mileages where other bottom brackets have long since been thrown away.
BB30 makes tons of sense with this in mind.

musgravecycles
05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I am tempted to do this...

As well you should be.

Pretty Please...

Mikej
05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
I was waiting for the 1.5" HS, 140mm spacing, and BB30 TO DO ALL AT ONCE - My new bike is going to be so UP TO DATE! No, fo real, now I will have to see so I don't get stuck w/ a "1 hs", Which is almost what happenned to me in 2000 - Titanium builder -1 1/8" thats for mountain bikes!

WickedWheels
05-01-2008, 05:16 PM
No. It's the same people who poo-pooed threadless headsets.

My point is this...

I'm sure that there are a lot of very legitimate reasons to have BB30. There were also legitimate reasons to have integrated headsets. Yet people who were big advocates of custom frames bashed integrated headsets. The big problem was that once the headset wears out the frame is trash. Personally, I agree with that to some extent.

So what's the difference here?

Realistically, the integrated headsets would take so long to wear out the frames that it isn't a real concern. The BB30 I'm sure is the same way. But if you don't believe in the merits of one, how can you advocate the merits of the other?

Threadless headsets, on the other hand, were a totally different thing altogether, as they did not affect the potential longevity of a frame.

Brian Smith
05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I really like the BB30's looks and hopes it becomes the standard.

Maybe someone from Serotta can weigh in?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/tech/features/seaotter_tech408/BB30_cutaway.jpg

I think that the picture of this bottom bracket - cut away and superimposed on some kind of blue sky - is the best possible representation of this idea.

This reminds me of the aftermath of a steel tubing company coming out with a new alloy in the years of old.

When customers are asking a company that makes bicycle frames for a material change they've never owned, before that company has experimented with it and developed an opinion, what does that say? To me, it says that quality is not that customer's first experience or occupation.

That's the opinion of someone who could make one of these themselves, and have it in a frame soon thereafter. Despite my tendencies toward proven standards, I have other resistances to a new standard being driven by a wear item component choice, rather than being driven by an effort toward making frames themselves better. On second thought, who needs one of these shells in a week and has 5 benjamins handy? That's a rhetorical offer.