PDA

View Full Version : mushin your zen fix

Fixed
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
mushin no shin , a zen expression meaning mind of no mind. , a mind not fixed or occupied by thought or emotion and thus open to everything.
“Mushin no Kokoro”
“ mind empty of all thought or emotion, the presence of which interferes with the body’s ability to act automatically in the face of an attack…the detached mind does not stop at any one point…[i]t is free to move about, allowing a flexibility to respond to any situation.”

While a samurai would use this Zen-saying to help him overcome the fear of death in the midst of battle, we can also apply it to our modern, everyday life.

cheers

OtayBW
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
'When the universe is annihilated, 'it' becomes indestructible.'

from The Gateless Gate, Case 23

jerk
04-10-2008, 01:32 PM
you take that bus, you get there

jerk

OtayBW
04-10-2008, 01:44 PM
you take that bus, you get there

jerk

Ah...so-called 'Engaged Buddhism'....

sg8357
04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
In a former incarnation I was a competitive shooter.
There were 5 targets in a popular exercise, I could always
remember engaging the first and fifth targets. The targets
in between were engaged in a state like Fixed is talking about.
No Zen, just lots of practice.
Once the gun jammed at target 3, the only reason I knew
was my timer complimented me on clearing the jam smoothly
after the exercise was over.
I didn't remember the jam.

Scott G.
You can't miss fast enough to win.

shinomaster
04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
When the samurai weren't killing each other, or peasants, they were practicing chado.

AgilisMerlin
04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
the ability to change' one's own mind.

M.Sommers
04-10-2008, 05:09 PM
"I live on Earth at present, and I don't know what I am. I know that I am not a category. I am not a thing — a noun. I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process — an integral function of the universe."
~R. Buckminster Fuller

For Fixed:

"The most important thing to teach your children is that the sun does not rise and set. It is the Earth that revolves around the sun. Then teach them the concepts of North, South, East and West, and that they relate to where they happen to be on the planet's surface at that time. Everything else will follow."
~R. Buckminster Fuller

keno
04-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't know jack for sure, and it's taken me more than six decades to figure that out.

zeno

sychan
04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
As Zen Master Fo-Yin once said: "Fart fart".