PDA

View Full Version : Historical German Bikes and More!

jmeloy
04-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Ok, so I work for a German company and I went to our global meeting in Mannheim 10 days ago. We had dinner the last night IN the Karl Benz Museum. The museum has over 60 historic Benz vehicles, early German motorbikes, and what they claim are early and famous German bicycles. They believe that the bicycle started in Mannheim.

Unbelievable collection including the FIRST Benz ever built (more below!) all the way up to modern racers. Included a sedan from the 40's that burned wood for fuel!

Last story before pics. The guy running the museum says through the interpreter that he is going to fire up the 1898 Benz for us. He turns the hand crank hits a switch and she starts chugging. He then grabs our CFO's hand and pulls her up onto the bench with him and takes off at a good clip inside the museum, around a corner and BAM clips the fende of a 1911 Town Car. Shrugs is shoulders and drives on!

I apologize for the pics as they are from my blackberry.... a number of bikes, a couple of racers and a German beer bong for DarrenCT!
Also, how about the jerk approved stem on the light blue lugged beauty!
-JAM

A.L.Breguet
04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
nice! :beer:

Fixed
04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
thats a big..
cheers :beer:

Brian Smith
04-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Cool, a Michaux.

Thanks for sharing.

thinpin
04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
That's one big mother of all chainwheels there in that pic. Youd need a ski jump run just to get it turning.

Polyglot
04-09-2008, 11:38 PM
That's one big mother of all chainwheels there in that pic. Youd need a ski jump run just to get it turning.

That is a typical motor/paced or stayer bike. Nothing unusual at all. You can see the rear end of the motor pacer too.

thinpin
04-10-2008, 01:13 AM
So it is :beer:

William
04-10-2008, 04:33 AM

That looks like my sized bike! The EFFIN STAYER BIKE! Now it just needs to got to Toby at Hot Tubes for the Orange & Black treatment. :)

William