PDA

View Full Version : Bibs vs Shorts

navclbiker
04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
A question from a wannabe...Last year I spent over $100 for a pair of high end biking shorts for the first time. I love them and I am ready to purchase another pair so's I can switch between them. I have never tried bibs. I have read opinions in several posts about how much people love their bibs and will never go back to shorts. For those people, what exactly were the benefits that you experienced? How for you, are they better?
-Dave

dsimon
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Im fat and they dont roll down point blank!! also some people just dont like the rub in the waist I guess you could say do you like a belt or suspenders? I love them hope this helps :bike:

SoCalSteve
04-09-2008, 06:57 PM
The ONLY downside is having to take off your jersey when ya gotta do # 2.

Besides that, they are MUCH more comfortable.

Enjoy!

Steve

J.Greene
04-09-2008, 07:00 PM
My favorite Bob Roll story included bibs, diarrhea, a crash, and a picknicking french family during the tdf.

JG

avalonracing
04-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I frickin' hate bibs. Why the hell would you want bra straps hanging over your shoulder and more material on your torso making you sweat?
It think that bibs might be good for guys with guts or some bird-chested climbers but a good pair of shorts is the way to go for me.

maunahaole
04-09-2008, 07:04 PM
1. No gap at the base of the jersey/top of the short line = no low back sunburn.

2. No rolled waist in front.

3. The suspenders keep the shorts in place a little bit better, which helps when the lycra gets tired.

I agree with Steve in that they do make dropping the chalupa a little more challenging.

junior2189
04-09-2008, 07:05 PM
BIBS RULE
I HATE SHORTS
PS SKINSUIT ARE BAD ASS :banana:
JUNIOR

CNY rider
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
The ONLY downside is having to take off your jersey when ya gotta do # 2.

Besides that, they are MUCH more comfortable.

Enjoy!

Steve

You're buying the wrong ones.

Get the ones with the zipper down the middle of the rear end! :banana:

dsimon
04-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Skin suits are for the young and brave not old and chubby :beer:

ecl2k
04-09-2008, 07:13 PM
bibs don't dig into your waist, I hate that feeling

J.Greene
04-09-2008, 07:14 PM
PS SKINSUIT ARE BAD ASS :banana:
JUNIOR

was your recovery ride sufficiently boring?

JG

Grant McLean
04-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Bibs and sleeveless base layers are the two best cycling inventions ever.

Pete, go ahead at lock this thread here :banana:

-g

M.Sommers
04-09-2008, 07:21 PM
My favorite Bob Roll story included bibs, diarrhea, a crash, and a picknicking french family during the tdf.

JG

My favorite J.Greene story is about Bob Roll and included bibs, diarrhea, a crash, and a picknicking french family during the tdf.

:beer:

SoCalSteve
04-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Isnt there a "Smiley sensitive nipple" thread somewhere regarding bib-shorts?

Just askin'

Steve

navclbiker
04-09-2008, 07:31 PM

JG
Where do I get a copy of this story?! :D

davids
04-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I tried bibs for the first time two years ago. I prefer them to shorts for the following reasons:

1. No waistband
2. Slightly less constricting
3. The straps keep the shorts in place

...but my preference is slight.

And peeing is a bit trickier, but I don't spend an awful lot of time doing that...

I'm happy with shorts, but like bibs a bit more. I only buy bibs now.

wc1934
04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
BIBS
Comfort, Comfort, Comfort

Blue Jays
04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
navclbiker, my preference is absolutely, positively for BIBS:
smooth-fitting and gap-free
superior coverage with variety of jersey cuts
increased durability and useful longevity compared to shorts
improved garment integrity if crashed
bib straps help conform base layer
Good luck with your selection. :beer:

Grant McLean
04-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Isnt there a "Smiley sensitive nipple" thread somewhere regarding bib-shorts?

Just askin'

Steve

the straps go OVER the base layer...

-g

J.Greene
04-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Where do I get a copy of this story?! :D

amazon. it's in the first bob roll book.

JG

Polyglot
04-09-2008, 08:21 PM
All the manufacturers prefer bibs because it makes their work of keeping the chamois in place twice as easy.

myette10
04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
most importantly... bibs are much more PRO

Erik.Lazdins
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I've got 1 pair of shorts and about 10 pairs of bibs - I prefer bibs.

BIBS BIBS BIBS BIBS BIBS BIBS BIBS :beer:

Satellite
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Seriously buy a pair of bibs. You already know what riding in shorts is like, now try bibs. They don't have to be expensive (at first) ;)

I never ever thought I would ride in Bibs, sure wish I would have converted sooner. :crap:

Satellite

jerk
04-09-2008, 08:38 PM
unless you're racing the Munich six day, or finishing the vuelta with a gastrointestinal bug that has forced Tupperware to be included in the team carinventory, bibs are the only way to roll. shorts are for the clueless mirror fasterbackwards crowd.

jerk

1centaur
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Uh, 50 years of pro riders can't be wrong. Bibs.

The waistline on shorts tends to either move down or be too constricting (note I am not chubby; shorts would be even worse if I were) - bibs allow freer body movement without having a waist line that moves down.

Seriously, years ago when I started reading forums and the shorts vs. bibs debate came up, there was never a single thread that had as much shorts love as this one. Very few debates in life are this easy. One of my rules of thumb about political polls is that at least 19% of respondents will always pick an inconceivably stupid position. You would not find 5% of riders with significant experience with shorts and bibs who prefer shorts.

MarleyMon
04-09-2008, 09:39 PM
... bibs are the only way to roll.

jerk
yup

WadePatton
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
The only time I wear shorts is when all my bibs are dirty.

...it happens. ;)

Fixed
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
bibs for me i like to unzip the jersey when it's hot
but they cost more so i end up with shorts most of the time
cheers
bro i really think you need about 5 kits if your riding a lot

DavidR
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Bibs are the only way to go!

Louis
04-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Obviously I'm in the minority here (ain't the first time) but I prefer shorts. Everything is just simpler.

I agree, bibs do a slightly better job of holding things up, but only marginally better, and IMO that benefit is outweighed by the hassles, which aren't that big, but I still find them mildly annoying. Plus, they are more expensive. Plus, for a small group of people who have wacky torso lengths compared to their waist diameter, the straps can be too tight or too loose. Finally, I bet you that if the Pros used shorts and not bibs, half the folks who use bibs would not, even if they did stay up better...

Bottom line: Try them and see if you like 'em. If you do, then go for it.

avalonracing
04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Okay guys, be honest... How many of you "bib advocates" have less than 12% body fat -AND- can bench press more than 150lbs?

I don't mean to be too much of a d*ck here but the guys I know who love bibs and hate shorts are either too big, too skinny or just pro wanna-bees.

(And skin suits are for time trials or crits where you don't mind destroying them)

Grant McLean
04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Okay guys, be honest... How many of you "bib advocates" have less than 12% body fat -AND- can bench press more than 150lbs?

let's be serious, how many are just less than 12%?
If you answered no, your shorts don't matter, just ride.

-g

WadePatton
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
do tanita numbers count?

Big Daddy
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM

I don't mean to be too much of a d*ck here but the guys I know who love bibs and hate shorts are either too big, too skinny or just pro wanna-bees.

(And skin suits are for time trials or crits where you don't mind destroying them)

yes
yes
moreover skinsuits are for 'cross!

avalonracing
04-09-2008, 10:34 PM
do tanita numbers count?

Those scales usually have a margin of error of +/-30% :D

saab2000
04-09-2008, 10:39 PM
yes
yes
moreover skinsuits are for 'cross!

word. crit racing in skinsuits is so 'look at me' pretentious.

Jack Brunk
04-09-2008, 10:47 PM

8.2% and I didn't even know they made biking shorts(just kidding about the biking shorts). I hate coming up behind guys who are wearing shorts and their crack is showing, It's kinda gross in a gross way. Exte Ondo bibs are cut really low which makes #1 very simple. I think there are just as many large in the stomach guys riding in shorts as there are in bibs. This of course is just my opinon and it may different than yours.

huey
04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
bibs are the only way to go. for the record, i'm 6'3" and about 230.

Louis
04-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I forgot one:

With shorts you can buy a T-shirt that's a size too small, tuck it into the top of your shorts, and make believe you are wearing a skin-suit !!!!

(No, I don't do this, but all this talk of skin-suits got me thinking.)

inGobwetrust
04-09-2008, 11:06 PM

The first time I tried bibs it was because I forgot my shorts and the only thing available to borrow was a pair of Nashbar bibs. I've never worn shorts since. Your assumption is way off base. I don't give a rats a$$ what the pros wear. Bibs are more comfortable and like Jack said, there are low-cut ones available that make going to the john a hassle-free venture.

paczki
04-09-2008, 11:08 PM

Are you suggesting that I just wear a penis gourd instead? Crikey that's a good idea! Then I wouldn't have that problem with my rolls of fat. Thank you!

avalonracing
04-09-2008, 11:27 PM
I hate coming up behind guys who are wearing shorts and their crack is showing, It's kinda gross in a gross way.

Kinda nothing, that is uncool!
Maybe I just wear jerseys that fit but I never seem to have a problem with my jerseys riding up.
I don't want to bust balls but the jersey vs. shorts thing has been a torn in my side for a long time. I did the uniform order for my team for a couple of years and we always had to deal with the last minute "no, I wanted bibs, no I wanted a full-zip jersey" calls.

That said... Full zip jerseys suck too. They split up logos and they bunch in the front. ;)

Sasha18
04-09-2008, 11:55 PM
It's like that thread about lowering the pressure in one's tires. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what your missing. I'm in good shape. I'm not tall and don't have a lot of fat on my body. I would wear nothing other than bibs. I used to wear shorts. They are convenient for some things, but not nearly as comfortable. You just have to try them. But make sure you're comparing comparable levels of shorts to bibs. Cheap bibs probably won't be as nice as expensive shorts.

Go try them.

3chordwonder
04-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Shorts are so much easier and more comfortable imho.

Assos make some with a perfect cut that's high at the back and low at the front to contour your body. They don't sag or move around - they just work. And on baking-oven-hot summer days, the extra cooling compared to bibs is very welcome.

ymmv.

swoop
04-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Bibs. Please.

Simon Q
04-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Bibs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. May not be for everyone but definitely for me and, it seems, most others. Try them.

RudAwkning
04-10-2008, 01:53 AM
I've got 8 pairs of bibs and 2 pairs of shorts. I only wear the shorts as a base layer when I snowboard.

Bibs all the way! :banana:

William
04-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Been wearing bibs since the mid 90's. Yeah, I'm less than 12% body fat bro, I just find that I like the looser feeling of bibs. The only time I ever found bibs to be a pain was right before the start of a race. You've tried emptying everything out of the system, but invariably, right before the start, you’ve that sudden urge to unload out the back door. Race to the porta-john, take your helmet off, wrastle the jersey off, drop trou, and do your thing. Finish up and race back to the starting line. Other than that, I like them much better.

~and~....

If you have a smart arse like me in the group and you're wearing shorts....you might just all of a sudden find that the back of your waistband is pulled down under the bottom of your saddle (ala American Flyer style) as I go speeding by. :p Yeah, good luck catching me. :D

William

djg
04-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Shorts are best if you don't have time to change in between workouts and plumbing jobs.

Otherwise, I like bibs.

bluedog18
04-10-2008, 06:46 AM

Don't forget about skin suits for cyclocross, it helps to keep the mud and cold air out. I have about 6% body fat and I wear bibs. Bibs are great around the holidays for when you eat way too much! :p

ergott
04-10-2008, 07:14 AM
If you have a smart arse like me in the group and you're wearing shorts....you might just all of a sudden find that the back of your waistband is pulled down under the bottom of your saddle (ala American Flyer style) as I go speeding by. :p Yeah, good luck catching me. :D

William

I love this guy (no homo).

avalonracing
04-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I love this guy (no homo).
:D

WadePatton
04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
157# at 5'10.5"-- go figger. still have work to do. :rolleyes:

visible crack--good place to fly a flag.

Too Tall
04-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Because you can pull the leg up to pee. That's sort of like learning to glue tubulars ;)

Because I can stuff cr@p under the material over small of my back.

Because I'm an overgrown ape and jerseys are too short.

WWKD? (what would King do)

davids
04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't mean to be too much of a d*ck here but the guys I know who love bibs and hate shorts are either too big, too skinny or just pro wanna-bees.OK, I confess. I'm too big, too skinny and a pro wanna-be.

Acotts
04-10-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm with Milkman Dan on this one.

Bibs for me, please.

EDS
04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
8.2% and I didn't even know they made biking shorts(just kidding about the biking shorts). I hate coming up behind guys who are wearing shorts and their crack is showing, It's kinda gross in a gross way. Exte Ondo bibs are cut really low which makes #1 very simple. I think there are just as many large in the stomach guys riding in shorts as there are in bibs. This of course is just my opinon and it may different than yours.

I have bibs that I hate and shorts that I hate, and vice-versa, but all of the shorts I have ever owned have such a high-cut waist that the possibility of any "crack" showing is 0%.

To me, the most important thing is the chamois and the cut and supportive properties of the fabric covering my thighs.

I am a sucker for power lycra and seamless chamois with some stretch built in.

rphetteplace
04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I wear low cut shorts only with a thong underneath, that way when I bend over you get whale tale.

While you envision this remember I'm 6'6" 300lbs and bald

fiamme red
04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Boxers or briefs?

avalonracing
04-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I wear low cut shorts only with a thong underneath, that way when I bend over you get whale tale.

It's not just for teenage girls anymore.

capybaras
04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Bibs are for babies. :banana:

tys
04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Bibs are great!
I love how Assos calls their non-bib shorts "Half Shorts" since we all know proper shorts have straps :D
Some have said they're only for skinny riders, while others say they're for fatties, I say they're great for those of us who fluctuate. When I get fat, there's no elastic waist to dig into my flab. When I get thin, they don't fall down!
Ibex is now making Merino wool bibs, they're fabulous :banana:

catulle
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Bibs = Driving with sunglasses on a sunny day
Shorts = No sunglasses on a sunny day

navclbiker
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I have never seen a biker in shorts with a visible coin slot. Maybe I just don't ride with the right people. :rolleyes: Anyhoooo....Do all bibs require a base layer underneath? Do I want an extra layer of insulation in 90+ degree heat and 80+% Virginia humidity? :confused:
-Dave

jbl
04-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Do all bibs require a base layer underneath? Do I want an extra layer of insulation in 90+ degree heat and 80+% Virginia humidity? :confused:
-Dave

I do not usually put a base layer under my bibs unless it's cold out.

catulle
04-10-2008, 03:23 PM
in 90+ degree heat and 80+% Virginia humidity? :confused:
-Dave

That's about my weather all year around unless I get up very early. Bibs are much more comfortable than shorts no matter what. You won't notice any difference with bibs because the weather is hot and humid.

DfCas
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I prefer bibs in all but the hottest weather. I do find find the extra coverage hotter and in those temps I wear shorts.

avalonracing
04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I just got back from a ride on a perfect day. 72ºF, mostly sunny, low humidity (hey I know you SoCal guys think "so what?" but in Maryland it's a big deal).

Anyway, I wore my shorts and not once did my lower back or upper ass see the light of day. I guess they fit right. Admittedly it was a Castelli Squadra team kit and not some duds from "Acme Jersey & Shorts Supply Company LLC".

capybaras
04-10-2008, 06:18 PM
My favorite J.Greene story is about Bob Roll and included bibs, diarrhea, a crash, and a picknicking french family during the tdf.

:beer:

Dear M.,
Please tell it.
Sincerely,
capybaras

capybaras
04-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Are you suggesting that I just wear a penis gourd instead? Crikey that's a good idea! Then I wouldn't have that problem with my rolls of fat. Thank you!

That will scratch your bike worse. Best to keep your knickers on.

BumbleBeeDave
04-10-2008, 07:49 PM
If the straps are the right length they will work perfectly to keep the chamois taught and where it's supposed to be. No chance of wrinkles that lead to, uh, unpleasantness. You just need to find a brand that has the right length and elasticity straps for your build. I have some shorts and I wear them, but if I'm going on a longer ride it's always the bibs. Just remember that if you're carrying some extra weight and wear the shorts, there's always the danger of what my teenage daughter calls "Muffin Top Syndrome."

Ick.

BBD

Cary Ford
04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
This thread is a joke, right?

Fivethumbs
04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I wore shorts all my cycling life (which began in the late '80s) After being on this site and reading all the posts about bibs (which made it sound like I was the only person wearing shorts) I decided to buy my first pair of bibs earlier this year. I immediately bought about 5 more pair. I can never wear shorts again. The bibs do so much better job of holding my package in place and not moving around while riding. My favorite bibs are Santini Twist Gel or the Fluid Twist Gel. And as Too Tall said, don't take off the jersey, use the leg opening.

ColdRider
04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I have never seen a biker in shorts with a visible coin slot. Maybe I just don't ride with the right people. :rolleyes: Anyhoooo....Do all bibs require a base layer underneath? Do I want an extra layer of insulation in 90+ degree heat and 80+% Virginia humidity? :confused:
-Dave

I was a longtime shorts user until last year when I tried out some good bibs that were on discount at the LBS. Let me start off by saying that I am rather skinny and short. I do find the bib more confortable although I could not pinpoint what it is exactly. Some people say that waist"line" from the shorts are bothersome but I don't find it so. It could be the snugness from the bibs for me.

After some experimentation, I started wearing a base layer all the time at the end of last summer. The first reason is that perspiration seemed to accumulate on my tummy below the bellybutton and get clammy. Not a big deal, but the baselayer wicks the humidity from that region and keeps that part dry. It also helps to avoid some chafing if you ever get "happy" days.

I don't consider the baselayer as an extra layer of "insulation" but more along the line of moisture control. I do feel slightly hot(ter) at the beginning of the ride, but I never seem to notice during the ride. I think how cool you feel depends on how much sweat you can move. I ride in Montreal weather which means anywhere betwen 77 to 95F with 60-100% humidity.

Lastly, and probably the less meaningful and hands on observation, is that I saw the pros during the dog days of the Tour and Vuelta wearing the baselayers. I figured that if these guys were wearing them for 5-7 hours per day, day in and day out in that kind of heat, it might be something worth trying. Although my cynical side tells me it could be prime advertising space :cool: ...

To sum it up, I would go bibs with baselayer. Bibs can be found relatively cheap. I use Defeet sleeveless and I think Grant convinced me to never try with base with sleeves, although I will try some Patagonia Capilene this summer and see how that works out.

Louis
04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
OK, all these confessional posts are to blame, I have to come out of the closet:

I was straight for years, but a while back I happened upon the NAMBLA forum and they convinced me to give it a try. I'll tell you what, I'm way into it now, and I'm not going back. You guys just don't know what you're missing - don't knock what you haven't tried.

Sheesh, next thing you know you're going to tell me that tubulars are better than clinchers. Just how gullible do you think I am?

coylifut
04-11-2008, 12:11 AM

While you envision this remember I'm 6'6" 300lbs and bald

I was in a race once and a guy stood up on a climb in team gear with a white panel and he was wearing a black thong underneath. I said "good god man sit down."

William
04-11-2008, 04:06 AM
... And as Too Tall said, don't take off the jersey, use the leg opening.

Works fine for #1.

Not so good for #2. :eek:

William ;)

fiamme red
04-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Nipple arousal.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=16618

beungood
04-12-2008, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=William]Works fine for #1.

Not so good for #2. :eek:

What if your part Irish..