PDA

View Full Version : Inspired!

taylorj
04-09-2008, 01:53 PM
So the spring has really been springing out here in the high desert. Now that I am regularly out on the roads at my normal hours (i.e. in the morning before work as opposed to sneaking out during lunch---though not really too sly since I have clothes and underwear hanging in my office and this seems to attract folks to the fact I am not at my desk).

This morning, while (happily) complaining to myself that it is still too cold in the mornings, and patting myself on the back for being outside suffering in the cold, I see this gal riding uphill---happily suffering with a smile on her face.

She has only one arm. I've seen her many times---but never this early. She always inspires me. I will think of her while climbing Ebbetts this weekend---when the out of shape winter body screams at me as I pass the 8'000' mark.

Ride on!

-Joni

Big Daddy
04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
that's what I'm talking about!

thanks!

johnnymossville
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
That's what it's all about. :)

taylorj
04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
...and the thing is that this gal is never whining or congratulating herself for being out in the cold. I am humbled always by her strength. She climbs seated, while I am standing up (though I always climb out of the saddle---).

She just smiles and nods (waving isn't an option for her), ensuring my ego stays in check!

willy in pacifi
04-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I have a long ride this weekend and I always tell myself when I feel like quiting to remember the guy in Utah (I think) who was out hiking alone and got his arm stuck under a falling boulder. He was stuck there for 6 days or so just waiting to die until he discovered he could cut his arm off and walk out.

I figure if he can cut off his arm and walk out I can keep pedaling for a while longer.

willy in pacifica

znfdl
04-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Joni:

Nice story.

Thanks.

Fixed
04-09-2008, 02:29 PM
bro ...sorry i don't know how to start without that
missing one arm but made up for it with a larger heart and she gave some of it to you this a.m. nice story
imho cheers

72gmc
04-09-2008, 02:33 PM
On my route to work I am lucky to occasionally see a little boy out walking. I think he is 3 or 4, and he works hard, grasping a four-wheeled metal walker that comes up to his waist. His dad is always walking next to him, often holding his sweatshirt hood or shoulder to steady him.

He is usually smiling a huge happy grin. And so am I, as I say good morning to him, and for a long time after.

taylorj
04-09-2008, 02:43 PM
bro ...sorry i don't know how to start without that

You can call me "bro" anytime!!

CarbonCycles
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I know watcha mean...every so often I'll see a couple of guys on their handbikes (for ppl who are wheelchair bound), and it reminds me that if there is a will there is always a way.

It's nice to be reminded (and humbled) that of all the things we bitch about in our daily lives, someone else has it worse but has made the best out of their situation.

IXXI
04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Now SHE is a stud. Amen for her.

thwart
04-09-2008, 03:02 PM
I figure if he can cut off his arm and walk out I can keep pedaling for a while longer. What works for me, especially in the summer, is the scene from "Schindler's List"... the one with the folks headed to Auschwitz packed like sardines in cattle cars waiting at a railroad loading spot... no air movement at all in a blasting heat wave... before Schindler mercifully turns on the fire hose to give them a bit of relief.

I've never been even close to that... and I don't know anyone who has.

csm
04-09-2008, 06:31 PM
When I'm suffering on a ride I sometimes think of that guy who had testicular cancer and survived. he went on to win several races on the other side of the pond. his name gets banded about here on occasion.

Javaman
04-10-2008, 05:48 AM
When I'm suffering on a ride I sometimes think of that guy who had testicular cancer and survived. he went on to win several races on the other side of the pond. his name gets banded about here on occasion.

Wasn't this the same guy who said that pain is temporary, it may last 1 hour, 1 day, or even 1 year...but you when quit, it lasts forever...something to that effect? Or was it somebody else? Those words inspire me nonetheless. :)

Climb01742
04-10-2008, 06:04 AM
on one of my morning routes, i often see an old gentlemen (maybe 80?) who is out running. the road has a series of rolling hills. there are other, flatter roads nearby that this guy could run on. but no. he tests himself and chugs up these hills. it's cool.

A.L.Breguet
04-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Quite a few times when riding near here, I see this old duffer walking. He has CP or some serious skeletal problem, but where I see him is pretty far from anywhere. He inspires me, and I always wave.