PDA

View Full Version : Battenkill Tires

theprep
04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Up-Staters,

Can you run your normal race wheel setup (23 mm tires) for this race or will the unpaved sections require something extra fat/durable?

I am hoping there is nothing that is "Deerfield rough" on this course. I used a Cross bike with fat tubulars for Deerfield.

opinions appreciated,
Joe

Tom
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
It depends if it is going to rain, or has recently. There was a short section of dirt in the Balloon Festival race in the same town, and there were absolutely no issues running 23s despite it being a rainy day in June.

However, I know nothing about the current road conditions. For all I know, it's still mud season around there, but tail end if still at all.

I'd ride my normal setup.

EDS
04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Last year I used Michelin Pro Race 2s in 700x23 and never felt I needed anything wider.

On the first big dirt hill the ground was very spongy and I found that I was better off climbing seated with my weight on the rear wheel. Other than that just watch for the potholes and there was one nasty corner around 30 miles in that caused a bunch of people to go down.

Velociotis
04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree with everyone else. I ran pro race2 23s last year with no problem. Didn't know anyone who made significant changes. Watch out for the dirt potholes, one almost swallowed me in the very last section when my attention wandered.

There's a lot of paved road too...

Definitely have a tube/co2 as it's a big course.

Good luck.

BumbleBeeDave
04-09-2008, 11:27 AM
. . . last fall--57 miles--and found the unpaved sections to be mainly hardpack. There were a few sections with very minor potholing and washboarding, but certainly nothing bad. You should be easily able to use 23's or 25's unless this past winter has been very unkind to the course. The last two years they have had a wheel wagon, but I'm not sure if that is the only one or if it's only there for the Cat. 1&2's.

I'm going to be driving the course backwards this weekend to scout photo positions. I'll see what it looks like and try to post.

BBD

flux
04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
No need for anything special but if you have Krylons you may as well throw them on.

theprep
04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
. . .
I'm going to be driving the course backwards this weekend to scout photo positions. I'll see what it looks like and try to post.

BBD

Thanks Dave - looking forward to your update.

Joe

jtferraro
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
wheel choices:

1) Zipp 404 tubular w/Veloflex Carbon 22mm tires
2) Mavic Ksyrium ES
w/following tire choices:
a) Veloflex Pave 22mm
b) Continental Gran Prix 4-Season 23mm
c) Michelin Pro2 Light Service Course 23mm

Hmm...leaning towards the Ksyrium ES/Veloflex Pave's w/the Conti's taking a close 2nd option. Anybody care to comment/provide recommendations?

BBDave, I'm looking forward to your update as well.

Thanks,

Tom
04-10-2008, 01:14 PM
They're fast. A little prone to cuts, but I think I can get them to last the day.

BumbleBeeDave
04-10-2008, 08:25 PM

. . . but my girlfriend wants to go with me on the survey drive, so I might get, uh, distracted a bit. :rolleyes:

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
wheel choices:

1) Zipp 404 tubular w/Veloflex Carbon 22mm tires
2) Mavic Ksyrium ES
w/following tire choices:
a) Veloflex Pave 22mm
b) Continental Gran Prix 4-Season 23mm
c) Michelin Pro2 Light Service Course 23mm

Hmm...leaning towards the Ksyrium ES/Veloflex Pave's w/the Conti's taking a close 2nd option. Anybody care to comment/provide recommendations?

Thanks,

. . . is here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=43919

BBD

theprep
04-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the update Dave.

I'm thoroughly terrified now!

batman1425
04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey all... I did a lap on the course yesterday (not including the P12 section as I'm just a lonely cat 4) and I did it using 23mm pro race 2's. I would say that Dave's report is pretty accurate. Thankfully the weather is going to be really good this week in upstate, mostly sunny and warm so that should dry out the course a bit. The course is definatly passable with the 23's. I don't know how much advantage the 25's would give you, but they would definatly make the paved sections hurt a bit more and believe me, the dirt climbs will take care of that just fine....No need to suffer both places!

Definatly keep your wits about you looking out for holes in the unpaved sections... Drafting off someone else is going to get you hurt if you don't have enough time to react as some of them are man eaters.... I would bring a tube, co2 cartrige and multi tool as you are a fair ways from anywhere for the majority of the race.

The climbs on the dirt sections are tough, and the dirt makes them tougher... Be very aware of holes, larger rocks and ruts carved up by farm equipment.

I haven't been racing very long, only about 3 years and this is my first Battenkill, but it is the hardest course I've ever ridden on. It is going to be a suffer fest for sure!

BumbleBeeDave
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
. . . and if we get no more rain I think all the dirt sections will be OK except one small spot on Juniper Swamp hill and a longer stretch on McKie Hollow over Two Top. That section in particular was so torn up that it's probably going to dry that way and be very rough.

The other spot I'd still worry about even if it's dry is down the hill on Intervale after Willard Mountain. There's a LOT of sand there. Hey Batman, did you have any trouble getting down there?

BBD