PDA

View Full Version : Campy Compatible Chain?

don'TreadOnMe
04-09-2008, 07:08 AM
I've got '07 Chorus, need a new chain.
I didn't feel like buying the Campy chain tool in order to deal w/a Campy chain, so I cheapCharlie'd a SRAM PC-1050 chain, figured it was 5.9mm wide.
Ugh, the SRAM 1050 is a pile of doodoo on this drivetrain, so....

What's everybody/anybody recommend besides a new Campy chain?
Any of those quick link chains work on the Campy ultra narrow 10sp drivetrains?

'Preciate it, and TIA.

don'TreadOnMe

e-RICHIE
04-09-2008, 07:14 AM
What's everybody/anybody recommend besides a new Campy chain?
Any of those quick link chains work on the Campy ultra narrow 10sp drivetrains?

'Preciate it, and TIA.

don'TreadOnMe
use this atmo -
http://cantitoeroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=40

http://cantitoeroad.com/assets/Image/wippermann/chains/10_s1.jpg

Grant McLean
04-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Why throw the baby out with the bath water?
Use a campy chain, and install a quick link.

-g

thinpin
04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Have used both Connex and KMC on campag 10s. With KMC I've has issues with bent plates - dunno why. Connex were great but I've ended up using a Connex link on a Campag chain. I rotate a few at a time.

Grant McLean
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM
The other thing to consider is the basic new chain/old cassette issue.
How worn are the cogs on the drivetrain you've just installed a new chain?
The issues you found with the new chain may have nothing to do with
the sram chain compatibility, and everything to do with needing a new cassette.
or not. hard to tell through the interwebs.

-g

Dave
04-09-2008, 07:49 AM
I haven't tried a SRAM chain with my Campy drivetrain yet, but I have used the orginal Campy 10 chain, the new Campy UN, a Shimano DA 10 and now the inexpensive KMC DX10SC. All seem to work fine, but the Campy will last the longest.

You don't need the Campy chain tool to install a Campy HD-L pin. The only trick is to eliminate all the tension on the chain, by drapping it over the BB shell, while the pin is installed from the left side. I've had good luck with this process, but the tool's driving pin must be in good shape. I've had one failure, where the pin started in crooked, so I gave up on it and installed a connex link.

There are several links that will fit the Campy UN chain properly - The Wipperman connex 10S1 or "Shimano compatible" model, a Forster Superlink 5.9mm, or a SRAM 10 powerloc. The SRAM powerloc is not offcially reuseable, put can be removed using a special pair of Park chain pliers or needle nose pliers ground down on the end. If the link doesn't snap when reinstalled, it should be replaced. The connex is the easiest to remove and install, but it must be installed in the proper direction to work properly. The slotted end of the link should be on the left side, as viewed from the right side of the bike, on the lower section of chain.

don'TreadOnMe
04-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone, they're a huge help.
The cogs are not really that worn, maybe 3500 miles on that cogset and my road drivetrains get a lot of care.
The issue w/the PC1050 is more of a twisting thing...it twists from the chainrings back to the cogs, not a side-to-side thing, but more like a dna helix/corkscrew, kinda weird.

znfdl
04-09-2008, 08:05 AM
use this atmo -
http://cantitoeroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=40

http://cantitoeroad.com/assets/Image/wippermann/chains/10_s1.jpg

e-Richie:

I bought a couple of the ewarly versions of this chain and would break them within 800 miles (Too Tall remember our ride in the park). Have you had any problems?

Grant McLean
04-09-2008, 08:15 AM
The cogs are not really that worn, maybe 3500 miles on that cogset and my road drivetrains get a lot of care.

If there are 1 or two cogs you use frequently,
this is enough mileage to have wear issues with a cog.
I wear out the 18/19 pairing on my 12-23 cassette
because i use those two cogs about 75% of the time
with both the big and small rings. The rest of the cassette
looks new.

-g

sspielman
04-09-2008, 08:16 AM
e-Richie:

I bought a couple of the ewarly versions of this chain and would break them within 800 miles (Too Tall remember our ride in the park). Have you had any problems?

The STAINLESS versions of this chain are DANGEROUS and break as you have described...on the other hand the NICKEL versions are very durable and have no bad history of failure.....

Pete Serotta
04-09-2008, 08:18 AM
e-Richie:

I had one go on me also - BUT I know plenty of folks who have used them and continue to use the,.

TMB
04-09-2008, 08:23 AM
The STAINLESS versions of this chain are DANGEROUS and break as you have described...on the other hand the NICKEL versions are very durable and have no bad history of failure.....

I use the nickel versions, they work a treat; quiet, easy to install and just seem to last ..........

pdxmech13
04-09-2008, 09:22 AM
I have used a shimano 5600 105 all winter with an 6.1 link assembly from KMC. I expected some issue with the link but had none surprisingly. Shifting was smooth going to a higher gear but I believe the shimano chain sticks just a bit going to a lower gear, especially under load. Not saying it was slow just a little lag. I'll also agree with Dave that the Campy chain will provide the longest life.

Crazy Chris
04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Until last week I used a Mavic chain on Campy 12-25. Lasted 1 year. Good shifting.