PDA

View Full Version : apparently I'mn a mutant

Alexi
04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
just got back from a bike fitting and I should be using a 130 stem on my 56 cm bike and something about my femur length I should have a 73 seat tube angle...

what does it all mean?

capybaras
04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Make the baby fight a bear!

(Sorry you are a mutant.)

jimcav
04-08-2008, 06:27 PM
if someone told me to use a 130 stem, i could (I, in the past, have on a 54cm) and i found the steering a little slower than my preference. and on one bike, a 73 STA is perfect for a setback post, on another bike, I have a zero setback, they both handle the same, and although my saddle is not dead centered on the rails, it makes no difference to my a$$ in terms of how i feel riding. if you can , ala princess and the pea, tell where on the rails your clamp is, it is alot cheaper to get a seatpost that puts it there (given you saddle relative to BB position) than to design a STA that puts the saddle centered on the rails for a specific seatpost)

now, all that said, if you try the 130 and it is a revelation, then give your fitter a 6-pack.

jim

William
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Don't sweat it. According to the obtuse jerk, you're a poseur with anything less than a 140. ;)

William

shinomaster
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
just got back from a bike fitting and I should be using a 130 stem on my 56 cm bike and something about my femur length I should have a 73 seat tube angle...

what does it all mean?

Sounds like my bike.

capybaras
04-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Sounds like my bike.

Sorry you are a mutant.

William
04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Sounds like you need a :banana:

William ;)

jimp1234
04-08-2008, 07:07 PM
errr.. .like X-MEN mutant??

capybaras
04-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Sounds like you need a :banana:

William ;)

Amen to that! :banana:

Grant McLean
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM

what does it all mean?

It may mean that your bike fits...

That would be a standard set up for that size bike a few years ago.
Only since the high handlebars/short stem upside down trend of
the last few years would a grown man have a stem less than a 12.

-g

M.Sommers
04-08-2008, 08:59 PM

what does it all mean?

I have short femurs.

Irish curse? :confused:

:beer:

capybaras
04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I have short femurs.

Sorry, you are a mutant.

mflaherty37
04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I have short femurs.

No, thats a different limb all together.

fiamme red
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Attack of the mutant bananas

http://static.flickr.com/31/110758852_66b222cb0f_o.jpg

M.Sommers
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
83.5cm inseam
36.5cm upper leg

Will I live, will there be sniper fire at the airport?

capybaras
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
83.5cm inseam
36.5cm upper leg

I think you will be ok. You might not even be a mutant. Did you remember to take off your shoes before you measured?

thinpin
04-09-2008, 04:04 AM
83.5cm inseam
36.5cm upper leg

Only if you bring Hillary...anyway its all over now or so Im told... progress

Dave
04-09-2008, 07:34 AM

what does it all mean?

A given STA needs a seatpost setback value to go with it, to be meaningful. You can cover about 3 degrees worth of STA with posts ranging from zero to 35mm of setback.

A 73 degree STA would be common on a 56cm frame, although some may be as steep as 73.5 - 73.75. For a given TT length, a one degree steeper angle will increase the reach by about 1cm (reducing the stem length required) and require a little more than 1cm greater seatpost setback.

It would be more meaningful if you explained what was changed. Was the saddle moved forward, making the longer stem necessary?

Fixed
04-09-2008, 07:42 AM
bro i thought everybody used 130's
cheers

WadePatton
04-09-2008, 08:27 AM
We're all mutants. No one is average. Average is a mathematical thingmo.

paczki
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Embrace it. Think X-Men.

M.Sommers
04-09-2008, 08:41 AM
We're all mutants. No one is average. Average is a mathematical thingmo.

Every warrior has a flaw. When I ride past the Kryptonite Depot I tend to get a little light headed, but no biggie. :D

"The greatest flaw of human beings is to remain glued to the inventory of reason. Reason doesn't deal with man as energy. Reason deals with instruments that create energy, but it has never seriously occurred to reason that we are better than instruments: we are organisms that create energy. We are bubbles of energy."
~Carlos Castaneda

http://www.mtsu.edu/~socwork/frost/god/castaneda.htm

capybaras
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Every warrior has a flaw. When I ride past the Kryptonite Depot I tend to get a little light headed, but no biggie. :D

"The greatest flaw of human beings is to remain glued to the inventory of reason. Reason doesn't deal with man as energy. Reason deals with instruments that create energy, but it has never seriously occurred to reason that we are better than instruments: we are organisms that create energy. We are bubbles of energy."
~Carlos Castaneda

http://www.mtsu.edu/~socwork/frost/god/castaneda.htm

Ok but you are still a mutant. I was just trying to be nice before.

Fixed
04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
bro datura helps me
cheers

dbrk
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
It may mean that your bike fits...
-g

I seriously doubt it. Of course, I'm not there, don't know you or your fitter. But if it were me, I'd run away as fast as I could from this sort of fit thinking.

Most old school race bikes had 100, 110, or 120 stems. French style touring bikes had shorter stems. Most folks were happy on stock bikes because the vast majority of us fit them. Custom geometry was the exception, not the rule. Custom bikes didn't usually have geometries that far from stock. Rather custom meant details, and had little to do with all this fit nonsense. As far as I'm concerned, it's making the exception the rule that has made fit such a conundrum. My "fitters" ask me what top tube I like. That's about it.

dbrk

p.s. feel free to ignore this post...it's not likely a popular opinion.

M.Sommers
04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
bro the brady kid hung from the chin up bar in the backyard bro do that upside down and grow the femurs.

Tobias
04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Only since the high handlebars/short stem upside down trend of
the last few years would a grown man have a stem less than a 12.

-gExcept when 12 is not the same as 12.
Measurements are not consistent.
Distance to steering axis is what's important.
Everything else is just about appearance.

M.Sommers
04-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Except when 12 is not the same as 12.
Measurements are not consistant.
Distance to steering axis is what's important.
Everything else is just about appearance.

livestrong stems are so hot right now.

Alexi
04-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I seriously doubt it. Of course, I'm not there, don't know you or your fitter. But if it were me, I'd run away as fast as I could from this sort of fit thinking.

what exactly do you mean here?

I'd like to run a 10cm stem as to have good handling when running a handlebar bag

M.Sommers
04-09-2008, 09:49 PM

I'd like to run a 10cm stem as to have good handling when running a handlebar bag

stemstrong.

capybaras
04-10-2008, 08:06 AM

A baby will not fit in a handlebar bag even if the stem is long. Unless the baby is a mutant....

RudAwkning
04-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Sounds like my bike.

No wonder you're having hip flexor problems :D

RudAwkning
04-10-2008, 10:21 AM

what does it all mean?

Did he explain why this fitting was appropriate? What was the recommended bar/saddle hieght differential? Are you riding this bike as a racer, commuter, tourer, etc.? Are you having any current discomfort on the bike? What length stem are you currently riding? How are your other bikes equipped? Did he specify how much setback on the post you would need?

Strange that he's telling you that you need a new STA, instead of addressing the issue with the proper seatpost setback. That's counter to him suggesting a longer stem, instead of telling you that you need a longer top tube.

Need more answers! :D

and IMHO, if you're of average build (ie your arms aren't longer than your legs) a 130 stem on a 56cm bike doesn't sound right to me. That's like telling someone to wear 5 pairs of socks because their shoes are too big.

73Camaro_Dude
04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I think that bike shop employees are trained to utilize whatever fit equations necessary to get the person to have to purchase something new. Lets say the only 130 stem they have around the shop is some chi chi carbon jobber. Gary Coleman could come in with a fit issue and they would still try and sell him the 130 stem.

There are all kinds of fit equations, it seems like everyone is coming up with them these days and they all are different.

Some of you guys are built like monkeys, some like gorillas. Find a bike in the ballpark and adjust accordingly.

capybaras
04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Some of you are mutants. And some of you are built like mutants.

William
04-10-2008, 11:24 AM
some of you are mutants

http://sayesha.fractalmind.net/Manila/Manila15.JPG

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/angiealan123/i-am-a-banana.gif

saab2000
04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
This bike is a 56 (c-c) and has a 13 stem. Rides nice. Handles great. Don't need to be a mutant to ride it. I would like to say something like, "Take your skirts of guys, these are racing bikes we ride, no La-Z-Boys!" But that would be taken as chauvenistic and mean. So I won't say it...... :D

capybaras
04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
http://sayesha.fractalmind.net/Manila/Manila15.JPG

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/angiealan123/i-am-a-banana.gif

Those little mutant bananas are delicious. But can they dance? How many fit in a Volvo? :banana:

M.Sommers
04-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Dear William,

I believe you have small pinkys. By about 2-3mm. Seriously. How have you made it through life this far? Tell us a good pinky mutant story.

Best regards,
M. Sommers

shinomaster
04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I have short femurs.

Mongolian curse.

Zimmy
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
@William,
I find it funny that you have posted a pic of a cartoon banana and I thought about the hilarity of anal hemorrhaging

capybaras
04-10-2008, 06:08 PM
What does this have to do with fat people? :confused:

capybaras
04-10-2008, 06:27 PM
This bike is a 56 (c-c) and has a 13 stem. Rides nice. Handles great. Don't need to be a mutant to ride it. I would like to say something like, "Take your skirts of guys, these are racing bikes we ride, no La-Z-Boys!" But that would be taken as chauvenistic and mean. So I won't say it...... :D

Spoken like a true cheesehead.

P.S. A mutant does not need a skirt.

Alexi
04-10-2008, 09:40 PM
I think that bike shop employees are trained to utilize whatever fit equations necessary to get the person to have to purchase something new. Lets say the only 130 stem they have around the shop is some chi chi carbon jobber. Gary Coleman could come in with a fit issue and they would still try and sell him the 130 stem.

I'm too tired to answer most of the questions posted on this today but Just wanted to point out that the fit was done by John Allis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allis) at the shop I work for so i doubt he was trying to sell me anything

gregclimbs
04-11-2008, 01:57 AM
a 130 stem on a 56cm bike doesn't sound right to me.

why the heck not?

despite the fact that tt length can vary +/-2-3cm for a "56cm" bike...

what is the acceptable length stem for a 56cm bike?

g

William
04-11-2008, 04:29 AM
@William,
I find it funny that you have posted a pic of a cartoon banana and I thought about the hilarity of anal hemorrhaging

This reminds me of a story that one of my instructors once told us. It involved gardening in the nude, a cucumber, a vague explanation about falling over backwards, and an emergency room visit. I really don't want to go into much more than that..... :crap:

William

William
04-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Dear William,

I believe you have small pinkys. By about 2-3mm. Seriously. How have you made it through life this far? Tell us a good pinky mutant story.

Best regards,
M. Sommers

Mr. Sommers,

I don't use photographs of myself...I have my posse handle the modeling duties....

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3061/midgetwrestlersbs2.jpg

William ;)

stevep
04-11-2008, 06:03 AM
reduce the length of yr femur.
sometimes even a cm or 2 will make it right.
then you'll fit the 10cm stem that you had left over.
swoop gave me this advice when i started.. worked for me.

capybaras
04-11-2008, 07:18 AM
I'm too tired to answer most of the questions posted on this today but Just wanted to point out that the fit was done by John Allis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allis) at the shop I work for so i doubt he was trying to sell me anything

John Allis is clearly a mutant. Have you seen him ride? :banana:

That explains your mutant fitting.