PDA

View Full Version : tufo tape HELP!!!!!!!!

CSi guy
04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
just made the stupid mistake of using the more aggressive tufo tape on some sewups a couple of months ago and then decided I would rather use the normal glue. I was able to get the white sludge off the rim but it is firmly imbedded in the tire base tape. I have been using a putty knife to carefully (without gouging the tire) remove the tape. It does not want to come off. Once I remove most to the tape residue can I just put a couple of layers of conti glue on the base tape or should I use something else and try to strip it off further.( the gooh)

Too Tall
04-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Leave it in place. I've done the same for teammates who use the stuff. That's basically a solid gluing surface. I've used conti and mastic one both with good results.

dirtdigger88
04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
ditto what TT said- I have done this myself and also spoke to Tufo directly on this very issue

Jason

catulle
04-08-2008, 07:19 PM
There are a few things I don't like about the Tufo tape. Mainly that it is messy; that is, it is slightly wider than the tubular and ends up being a dirt magnet. A tubular that is glued correctly is as clean looking as a clincher.

It is heavy and bulky if compared to a neat glue job of fine layers of glue. And when time comes to remove it, well, you know what happens.

I think the best use for the Tufo tape is in case of an emergency. Or if you carry a new tubular as spare. I keep some around just in case; but taking the time to glue properly a pre-stretched tubular is a great deal of fun. It's one of those Zen things.