PDA

View Full Version : pelvic fracture

glaucman
09-12-2004, 12:54 PM
On Labor Day I crashed and the result was a fracture of the right superior/inferior pelvic rami, a stable pelvic fracture. I recieved two consults (orthorped surg) and one said 6 weeks and the other 12 weeks time to return to the bike. Treatment is "tincture of time" with analgesics and cruthches.

I am concerned about the loss of aerobic fitness base and will maintain my weight with caloric restriction.

I would like any words of wisdom from those unfortunates who have suffered the same or similar fate.

Dekonick
09-12-2004, 01:06 PM
swim (just dont kick) or do other water aerobics. That way your hip isnt weight loaded.

Believe it or not, some movement and a little 'jaring' can actually make a fracture heal faster (it stimulates the site) - not major mvt tho.

Bill Bove
09-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Three different people I know have done the same thing, all of them were back on the bike in six weeks. It sucks but in the end it's only six weeks.

Climb01742
09-12-2004, 01:59 PM
didn't floyd landis have basically the same injury last year? my memory isn't great but i think he did. maybe google it and see if you can find any articles on floyd's rehab. good luck.

CNY rider
09-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Not the most pleasant thing to think about, but pelvic fractures can cause severe problems with constipation. Combine that with the dietary changes you are planning, narcotic pain pills and inactivity and it adds up to no laughing matter. Some folks with your situation end up suffering more pain from constipation than from the fracture. Find some foods or over the counter supplements that keep things moving along!

Dekonick
09-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Ohhh - good advice! Nothing like an opiate to bind you up!

I am thinking Prunes are in order....

Too Tall
09-12-2004, 07:09 PM
PM me tommorrow. I'll send you a recommend for supplements to speed bone healing. Checkaroo on swimming and why not spend some time in a yoga class?

Dekonick
09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Yoga - doesnt that involve ALOT of hip movement? Douglas?? Chime in on this one!

Too Tall
09-13-2004, 05:48 AM
For other reasons brah....Yoga is for the heart and mind as well.

William
09-13-2004, 06:03 AM
A good buddy and team mate of mine went down on a decent in the Cascade Classic a number of years ago which resulted in a fractured pelvis. As I remember it took him about 8 - 10 weeks before he was back on the bike.

Good advice on the swimming, yoga, and supplements to smooth things out.

William

ptwinkte
09-13-2004, 01:54 PM
I broke my right hip at work on 8/5/04. After 2 weeks of inactivity, my Dr. had me start using the walker - I have balance problems. I have been using my Schwinn Airdyne since then - It's great! I'm also starting Physical Therapy. Unless you are an older person with Osteoarthritis, I'd suggest throwing the Vicodan away. To me, feeling groggy and being constipated are not desireable side effects. I've found Ibuprofin to work great. Remember - this is not forever. View this time as another type of workout. Your reward will be riding your bike pain free. Good luck.
Tom

glaucman
01-01-2005, 10:18 AM
and feeling well now. I want to thank Too Tall whose nutritional advise I followed and I feel was a factor in what was a fairly rapid recovery. I have been on the bike now for one month and am 100% pain free pelviswise. I am now trying to regain aerobic fitness as well as strengthm lost from the two months of what was a sedentary existance.

Again thanks to all.

slowgoing
01-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Glad to hear you're doing so much better and are back in the saddle again.

Kevin
01-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Welcome back.

Kevin