PDA

View Full Version : Conti GP4000 S Sidewalls

znfdl
04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I tested some of the Conti 4000 S tired while out in Arizona. I do like they ride and roll, however when I had to ride through some gravel, the sidewall got cut. Anyone had any similar experiences with the new tires?

zap
04-08-2008, 01:04 PM
No.

We've taken our tandem on short gravel roads (river road to white ferry) and also flung an errant rock on the road (during our first ride on the s) with no damage to sidewalls.

When that rock flicked loudly off the front tire, I was concerned about the sidewall and not wanting to crash again due to a blowout, we stopped and I inspected the tire. Saw the dust marks that the rock left but no damage to the tire.

What happened to the other folks on the tour?

znfdl
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
No one else had a sidewall cut. :crap:

chuckred
04-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I tested some of the Conti 4000 S tired while out in Arizona. I do like they ride and roll, however when I had to ride through some gravel, the sidewall got cut. Anyone had any similar experiences with the new tires?

I ride on rough and dirt roads - no cuts in sidewalls of Conti 4000. Used to cut the Attack almost every time I rode it.

Gravel's kind of a crap shoot I think - it just takes hitting one chunk the wrong way - I stopped riding through my driveway for this very reason.

znfdl
04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Gravel's kind of a crap shoot I think - it just takes hitting one chunk the wrong way - I stopped riding through my driveway for this very reason.

I agree, just wondering what other people's experiences are. But, boy do the tires roll and handle well.

MilanoTom
04-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I ride on rough and dirt roads - no cuts in sidewalls of Conti 4000. Used to cut the Attack almost every time I rode it.

I agree. I had a piece o' gravel nearly take out the sidewall of a brand new Competition ProTection tubular. The only think that saved it was the gatorskin threads atmo (glad I'd bought three of 'em; that one's now the spare).

Tom

znfdl
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
The GP 4000s are pretty flat resistant, as I did not get a flat in almost 1,400 miles of riding in two weeks in the desert. I did have two set of wheels.

Elefantino
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Loved the GP 4000s until ...

Second day of TOSRV (last Sunday), we're flying along in a big group from a West Florida city and everyone suddenly gets out of the way, without word, and leaves me to run over a trash bag. Didn't think anything of it until about 20 miles later, when I flatted the rear. Looked, and there was a slice right through the sidewall. Looked at the front, and it was sliced, with tube showing, ready to blow. There must have been something in the trash bag.

Actually, I don't blame the Contis. I blame the show-offs from out west who will let you hang on their train but if there's something in the road you're on your own.

:mad:

dvs cycles
04-08-2008, 06:00 PM
What air pressure do you use? Too little for your weight and the sidewals of any tire will be in danger.
I'm at 190 and keep my tires at 120-125.

znfdl
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I am 160 and had 110lbs of pressure.

Blue Jays
04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I've been using these tires nearly exclusively. They've performed very well. I maintain them at 110 p.s.i. during warm months and around 100 p.s.i. during winter training conditions.

djg21
04-08-2008, 10:05 PM

I had one last week. The tire had about 300 miles on it. I rode over some road debris.

I didn't find the cut until after I blew a few tubes. I assume I would have cut virtually any tire.

Ahneida Ride
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I've seen just tooooooo many issues with Conti Sidewalls.

I would never ride Contis ...

Too Tall
04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Yah just won't listen to me will you :rolleyes: KA WIT riding Conti. clinchers.

6% - .2% = 5.8% (it's a work in progress).

imm
06-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Loved the GP 4000s until ...

Second day of TOSRV (last Sunday), we're flying along in a big group from a West Florida city and everyone suddenly gets out of the way, without word, and leaves me to run over a trash bag. Didn't think anything of it until about 20 miles later, when I flatted the rear. Looked, and there was a slice right through the sidewall. Looked at the front, and it was sliced, with tube showing, ready to blow. There must have been something in the trash bag.

Actually, I don't blame the Contis. I blame the show-offs from out west who will let you hang on their train but if there's something in the road you're on your own.

:mad:

What makes you think whatever was in the bag wouldn't cut another brand of tire? Have you run a double blind garbage bag test?

:)

Pete Serotta
06-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I did ride the rockies on them and even had a 14 miles uphill hardpack road to ride. No problems.....Over the years I have had cuts on every type tire. Additionally the old conti 3000 I could ruin the side wall in just a few hundred miles or less. So far the 4000 S is really nice (hopefully I will not regret that statement after our SUNDAY ride... :bike:

rustychisel
06-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Still got a pair of 4000s waiting to be mounted whilst I try to wear out a set of Vitt Rubino Pro's. They're tough muthas, just don't ride that well...

Bob Ross
06-30-2008, 09:52 AM
I've seen just tooooooo many issues with Conti Sidewalls.

I would never ride Contis ...

I've got 1100 miles on my current set of Conti GP4000S's, put 2800 miles on the previous set of GP4000S's, and before that went through 3 sets of Conti Attack/Force's, getting between 2200-2600 miles out of each set

...and I never had a problem with the sidewalls on any of those tires. Lottsa nicks, cuts, and embedded glass shards in the tread, but no problems with the sidewalls. I'm 175lbs and run them around 110-120psi.