PDA

View Full Version : Anybody experience this?

TAW
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm working on a bike that has the older Dura Ace bottom bracket cups.
The non-drive side splines are so stripped out that the tool will not grab.
Any solutions to getting this out? Machine shop?

There's a small amount of threads outside the frame, but I'm not sure there's enough to grab onto with some channel locks.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Boundgear
04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
If it sticks out far enough to grab onto, table vise as tight as possible. Remember to rotate the bike in the right direction. Throw out cups when done.

cak
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Will the tool just spin in the splines, or will it grab until you put a bit of pressure on it?

Most home BB tools are not so good. They have a tendency to slip even under the best conditions. There are tools out there that will thread into the spindle and hold the splines much more securely and that will allow for even pressure on the splines to reduce the tendency for slippage. Most shops will have these.

I would suggest taking the bike into a good LBS and letting the head wrench take a look at it. It might be something as simple as using the shop version of the bb tool you have. If it is just that the splines are stripped, then a good wrench should be able to get it off without to much fuss. If it is that the splines stripped because the cup is rusted/corroded into the shell, then you are still better off letting someone that has removed such shells before get it out for you.

Andrew

Ti Designs
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Use the right tools.

The lockring tool isn't the single tooth Hozan version - it's an aluminum lockring. Use the one that fits around the locking with teeth engaging all of the splines. Next, there's also a spline around the spindle, the same spline used in the UN series bottom brackets. Use both to get enough torque.

giordana93
04-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't think he's talking about the lockring, and it's probably not the cup and cones adjustable cup unit either that you might be able to grab with some vice, etc.
best advice, assuming you have tried the correct tool already (and can't find a way to cinch it in more tightly, which sometimes helps), is the LBS. better to rely on an on-the-spot diagnosis and treatment by s.o. with a few more tools and experience than risk wrecking the frame

WadePatton
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm working on a bike that has the older Dura Ace bottom bracket cups.
Any solutions to getting this out? Machine shop?

There's a small amount of threads outside the frame, but I'm not sure there's enough to grab onto with some channel locks.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

I recently removed a plastic "cup" with all the splines beaten off. It was an all day sort of thing. Small hammer and and punch and tick tick tick tick. Metal might have been easier as the plastic kept chipping and breaking.

Seizure may be the issue that caused the buggering of the part to begin with. In that case the extremely judicious use of heat may be necessary. Good luck.

TAW
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't think he's talking about the lockring, and it's probably not the cup and cones adjustable cup unit either that you might be able to grab with some vice, etc.
best advice, assuming you have tried the correct tool already (and can't find a way to cinch it in more tightly, which sometimes helps), is the LBS. better to rely on an on-the-spot diagnosis and treatment by s.o. with a few more tools and experience than risk wrecking the frame

You are correct, no problem with the lockring. I might be able to grab some of the threads still sticking out with a vice, however. I'm going to check with the LBS today. Thanks for the advice. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open. My greatest fear is completely mangling the cup so that no-one could get it out, and ruining the frame.

cak
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
I would suggest _not_ gripping the cup in a vise. To get enough pressure to hold the cup without spinning in the vise, it (the cup) will most likely fold on you. Then you are at the cut it into strips with a hacksaw blade point. That is if the other cup and the cartridge has come out.
Take the bike into a shop. Let someone who has done this before have a crack at it. It might take him 30 seconds, he might tell you to come back in a few days.
Andrew

chrisroph
04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
you need to find the right tool for the job. many shops have a tool that, after pulling out the other cup, will tighten against the stuck cup and allow it to be removed without needing to use the splines. See tool 30 for an idea of how these things work.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/var/pages/var0016.html

its not exactly what i'm talking about but you should get the drift. the one i'm thinking of has essentially two flat surfaces that tighten against the inside and outside of the cup. you then put a wrench on the tool and unscrew the cup.

i had one at the shop where i worked in about 1978 and it worked like a charm.

Kervin
04-09-2008, 01:22 PM

IF you can find a big bolt that just fits in the hole. Put a nut on the other side. You want the bolt/nut combo to be in such a way that tightening the bolt will move the cup in the loosening direction.

TAW
04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'd considered the vice thing, but I did wonder whether it would just crush the cup. There's no corrosion or rust, but the cup is stuck tight so that any attempt to move it with a bottom bracket tool just makes it worse. I can see how the tool Christoph mentioned would work, so I'm going to check with the LBS and see what they say.

Thanks again.