PDA

View Full Version : Spinergy???

LegendRider
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
How does Spinergy stay in business? Does anyone buy their products??? I can't remember the last time I saw a local rider with their wheels.

false_Aest
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Wheelchairs.

Steve Hampsten
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
they also make wheelchair wheels

Fixed
04-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I have ft wheel for my fix one of those rev x things I found it
cheers

William
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
They’re great for making julienne potatoes.

William ;)

toaster
04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I have a wheelset. Rev-X four spoke wheels.

What are you trying to say?

MilanoTom
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I've got a Rev-X rear that I bought cheap a few years back when an LBS/ski shop closed. It did an amazing job of smoothing out the ride of a lower-end Cannondale I use as my "rain bike." Based on anecdotal reports of sudden catastrophic failures, I don't know that I'd take a chance on using one in the front, but I've got no complaints with the one I have.

Regards.
Tom

Ken Robb
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
They have a very nice new HQ near my home. When I phoned with a question about a minor problem with my out-of-warranty but ultra-low mileage wheels they told me to send them in and they'd see what they could do. When I said I was just a few miles away I was told to come on over. Their head techie swapped my old-style hub for their latest and gave me a spare set of springs in case I wore out the ones in the new hub. No charge.

I sold the wheels and they gave me a couple of brand-new shipping boxes and packing--no charge.

How can you beat that for customer service. The wheels came on my CSI when new and looked and spun great. They are aero wheels though and I don't like what aeros do in our frequent crosswinds at the coast.

They had lots of wheels in stock ready to ship. Yes they do a lot with wheel chair products. I wouldn't trust their old carbon rims though.

Fixed
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
bro I know a cat that crashed his when it went out under him in a crit but he was well over 200 pounds and a sprinter without fear and he rode junk
cheers

deechee
04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I had some spinergy xaeros, were ok but they went out of true too often. Rear hub failure was warrantied but really ticked me off because it happened when I was out of town at a race. Front hub started creaking; it took the longest time to figure out it was the wheel, not the frame. (BB, saddle, etc.)

Some friends of mine have the stealth pbo's (our LBS had an amazing deal on them) and they seem to be holding up. I think they're a good match to alu frames (why I still have them) but my experience has turned me off the brand.

BumbleBeeDave
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
. . . but keep in mind it's just that--things I've heard.

• Original company owners took a bath with the Rev-X's with delaminations and crashes from them. There was a whole web site for a while with stories of disasters with them and lawyers you could go to who were already suing them. I tried the site a year or so ago and it was gone. But there were some pretty scary stories and pics there. Pics of wheels that literally looked like they had exploded. I read somewhere later that the problem came down to if you let the wheels get hot--like leaving them in your car--they delaminated and would go Boom!

• Also lots of single Spox wheels on eBay because the polycarb(?) spokes would break, whip around, and get wrapped around the cogset or hub, bringing the ride--and the wheel--to a rather abrupt end. Owners would try to unload whichever one they had left. Having a yellow bike myself, I thought it would be cool to have a set with the yellow spokes, but then I just heard too many stories . . .

• Customer serivce with the old owners was awful, then company got sold and now things have improved. But in my book they still have a hell of a bad rep to overcome after the fiasco with the Rev-X. But for a few years there they were the ultimate in cool--look at race pics from the 90's. Seemed half the peloton had them!

BBD

big shanty
04-08-2008, 12:33 PM
This dude races cross on them (from molly cameron's website):

http://www.mollycameron.com/wp-content/uploads/theribs.jpg