PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Ergonomics

Marco
04-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Simple Question: Is there any difference in the ergonomics of the hoods/brifters for Rival, Force and Red?

e-RICHIE
04-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Simple Question: Is there any difference in the ergonomics of the hoods/brifters for Rival, Force and Red?
i'm building my RED bike up today and tomorrow,
and assembled my wife's (aka the lovely deb) unit
last week. it had FORCE. i'll compare parts at work
sometime after leakfast.

Rubeboy
04-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I have 1 Rival and 2 Force groups and the hoods are the same on those.
Comfy for my hands

Jack Brunk
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
i'm building my RED bike up today and tomorrow,
and assembled my wife's (aka the lovely deb) unit
last week. it had FORCE. i'll compare parts at work
sometime after leakfast.
Richman,

The lovely Deb deserves better than force. Give a little bit. Supertramp

e-RICHIE
04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Richman,

The lovely Deb deserves better than force. Give a little bit. Supertramp
i'm already down 60 percent man.
kick me atmo.

Jack Brunk
04-07-2008, 10:36 PM
i'm already down 60 percent man.
kick me atmo.
I fell ya enough is enough. Give some red as in Campy Red. That will show how special she really is. It will show your sensitive side.

Bruce K
04-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Other than shifting action, they are the same so far as I can tell.

The simple minded person (me) says that since they all use the same hood, they should all be the same anyways. :D

BK.

J.Greene
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
iassembled my wife's (aka the lovely deb) unit
last week. it had FORCE.

That's good news she's riding again.

JG

e-RICHIE
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
That's good news she's riding again.

JG
doode she has a paper route atmo.

J.Greene
04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
doode she has a paper route atmo.

may the force be with her then

JG

Climb01742
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Other than shifting action, they are the same so far as I can tell.

The simple minded person (me) says that since they all use the same hood, they should all be the same anyways. :D

BK.

bruce, do you have red shifter? do they shift better (smoother, more precisely) than force? thanks!

roman meal
04-08-2008, 11:29 AM

red has adjustable reach, which may throw things around a bit, and one of the cables (brake/ shift) i forget which, can be routed either front or back. I think the shape of the bodies is the same.

Bruce K
04-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Climb;

Yes, I have Red shifters on both the Ottrott and Meivici and Force on the Concours and Concours Cross.

The shifting is a little quicker (or shorter throw if you will) on the Red.

The other thing is that the trimming feature works on the big ring vs the small with Force.

BK

Climb01742
04-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Climb;

Yes, I have Red shifters on both the Ottrott and Meivici and Force on the Concours and Concours Cross.

The shifting is a little quicker (or shorter throw if you will) on the Red.

The other thing is that the trimming feature works on the big ring vs the small with Force.

BK

bruce, this may be hard to quantify but here goes...red shifters are about $500. with red, is the shift quality improved $500 worth? i love sram shifter ergonomics but the upshift quality of force is frustrating. again, thanks.

Bruce K
04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Climb;

I'm not sure what you're asking on this one but I'll give it a shot....

From what I can see there's only a $50 - $100 difference between Force and Red shifters. For that small difference I bought Red for the higher end road bikes and yes there is a noticable difference - not huge but noticable and definitely nicer. The shorter throws require less effort and the shifts are almost instant.

I wouldn't spend for Red on a cross bike until I can upgrade about 2-3 Categories and that's not happening anytime soon. :D

I hope that helps more.

BK

Climb01742
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Climb;

I'm not sure what you're asking on this one but I'll give it a shot....

From what I can see there's only a $50 - $100 difference between Force and Red shifters. For that small difference I bought Red for the higher end road bikes and yes there is a noticable difference - not huge but noticable and definitely nicer. The shorter throws require less effort and the shifts are almost instant.

I wouldn't spend for Red on a cross bike until I can upgrade about 2-3 Categories and that's not happening anytime soon. :D

I hope that helps more.

BK

thanks very much, bruce. i wasn't clear, sorry. i have force on a bike now. if i upgraded just shifters to red, that's the $500. i was told the red shifters would work with all the force stuff and improve the shifting. just trying to figure out if it's worth the dough.

Bruce K
04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Climb;

If you had another bike or a buyer for the Force to offest some of the cost I would say "Go for it."

I'm not sure it's worth $500 to upgrade.

I upgraded the Meivici, bought used Red for the Ottrott and put the Force on the Concours.

I sold off most of the Shimano 10 speed pieces from the Ottrott and the 9 speed stuff from the Concours to offset the costs.

BK