M.Sommers
04-07-2008, 08:45 PM
What does this equipment do ?

Tremor.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2002/ANS01130.html

coylifut
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
What does this equipment do ?

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/deep_brain_stimulation/deep_brain_stimulation.htm

Buzz
04-07-2008, 08:47 PM
First American to win a road stage at the Tour de France, no?

Good Luck Davis!

pdxmech13
04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
whoa pretty intense stuff.
Best of recovery for all those involved :banana: :banana:

coylifut
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
First American to win a road stage at the Tour de France, no?

Good Luck Davis!

I thought it was Jeff Pierce? No? I can't say I remember it.

rounder
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
cool things went well

i bet he is a cool dude

He is a cool dude. If you ever have a chance you should watch the Zuperman video about the Tour du Pont. Davis was the narrator and it will give you an idea about bike racing back then and how he looked at things. I remember seeing his bike (they rode serottas) with a rolls titanio on it and thinking...i gotta get me one of them.

David Kirk
04-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't know Davis very well by any means but I have met him on many occasions and had the chance to ride with him a few times. Back in the day he used to show up at the factory once a season an spend a few days hanging out at the shop and helping (or trying to not get in the way) and boosting morale. He was absolutely game to do anything. I remember him standing at the sandblaster for a few hours one day. Not a fun task but he did it with a smile.

One time we shut down the shop early so all the boys could go for a ride with Davis. It was a flat 15 mile or so ride and it was wonderful to see some of the guys who really weren't cyclists riding along side Davis. Toward the end of the ride we were headed back to the shop and one of the real characters of the shop, Richard, thought he'd have some fun with Davis. He passed the group from behind and yelled taunts at Davis saying something about him not being able to keep up. Real school yard taunting. Davis looked at me and asked if he was for real. Davis and I were talking as Richard awkwardly sprinting away up the road looking like he might crash out there all by himself as he weaved around. Davis waited a bit and looked at me and gave me a "watch this". He took off and unleashed the real deal. It's amazing how fast he went away. He caught Richard very quickly right before a mandatory 90 degree turn covered in gravel. Richard panics seeing the gravel corner as Davis whizzes by and he shuts down. Davis on the other hand railed around the corner as if it was perfectly clean at a good 30 mph......... gravel spitting and the bike sliding. It was amazing. He never hit the brakes or looked at all shook up by this despite the fact it was one of those corners that group rides crawl around with everyone yelling "gravel!". That was fun to watch.

A few years later Serotta was introducing a new mountain bike and being the resident MTB guy they put me on a plane and sent me to Moab for the fat tire fest. I met Davis there and we rode Slick Rock with a bunch of journalists from bike mags. I was on my personal bike and Davis was riding a borrowed bike that we shipped out for him. The first time he rode it was out of the slick rock parking lot. The rode the whole loop together and he cleaned everything despite the fact that he never rode that bike before. About 1/2 way around the loop the guy from Bicycling mag had the bike he was testing fail. We rigged it together well enough for Jeff to continue. Davis couldn't help himself and slip in a "should be riding a Serotta" dig. Fun stuff.

So we finish the ride and Davis needs to take off for a race or something and he pulls me aside and says something like "make sure someone tunes that bike I used before anyone else rides it". I didn't ask. So he leaves and I take the bike he road around the parking lot and it was an absolute mess. One of the brake levers was floppy loose, the front brake didn't work and the front changer was stuck in the middle ring. So Davis rode Slick rock, a difficult ride in anyone's book, without a front brake and stuck in the middle ring. I was so pissed at the wrench back in NY who "tuned" that bike and so impressed with Davis. He never said a word and rode like the rock star. A true professional.

He's one a kind.

Thanks for reading.

dave

rounder
04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Good story Dave.

shanerpvt
04-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey Dave, thanks for sharing those stories. Never get tired of hearing about the "good guys". Prayers to him and his.

:beer:
shaner

Len J
04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks Dave...I've met Davis twice aand came away feeling like I met a real gentleman........class act.

Len

thwart
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Great story. Reminds me of why I idolized Davis and his peers when I was younger... for d*mn good reason.

Nowadays, those qualities in pro riders seem less likely.

Thanks for sharing it, Dave.