PDA

View Full Version : diametrically opposed: Rival and cycling.tv

myette10
04-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Had the pleasure/aggrivation of using both today.

Rival:
Installed easily (last night)
Quick set up (and I'm no bike mechanic) this morning
Worked beautifully on the road
Inexpensive, widely available and pretty straight forward

cycling.tv:
Requires two browser windows for some unknown reason. (both tend to show the same thing... nothing)
Impossible to get working come race time
Expensive, largely unavailable and delivered in a confusing array of packages

Rival is a good value while cycling.tv just plain blows.

Fixed
04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
try it with a mac bro
cheers

Moosedryvr
04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I gotta agree that cycling.tv is frustratingly painful at times, I spent the better part of the first hour trying to get the race in something better than 92 kbps, but it's all we got and I'm glad for it. Hopefully they invest some of my $100 to get the system up to speed for the big races. It works great for the semi-classics and mid-week races and their video on demand is sweet, but the live stuff on Flanders or P-R weekends is usually rough going. I think their business model is the future, but they aren't there yet.

Shawn G

nowheels
04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Should have seen how bad they were back in 05........

MerckxMad
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I've subscribed to cycling.tv since the very beginning. While it's better than nothing, they really have not improved and may have become a bit worse. The clunky windows, searching for the right server and the right transfer speed are a royal PITA. My big problem is the quality of the video. The video that comes across (at 800kbps), when it's not choppy, looks like there's Vaseline smeared on my screen. Youtube and other video sites seem to play fairly clear on my pc, but the cycling video is all blurred. Seeing the Ronde on cycling.tv and then watching the same video later on Versus, really highlights the poor quality. I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same problem.

znfdl
04-07-2008, 08:59 AM
what is the link for Rival?

Thanks.

paczki
04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Macs are even worse with cycling.tv. I subscribed fro two years, hardly got any value out of it. So frustrating! Now I just watch the recaps on VS.

Longdaddy
04-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Agree.
I have had little to no luck running cycling.tv on my MacBook (Pentium chip, OS X). My old, toshiba w/windows ME (!) does a better job.

Fixed- what is the Apple secret? :confused: