PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure Med Advice Sought

Bill Bove
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
O.K. now, for the last ten years my BP has been on the borderline high side. I'm going to see my doc next month and he's going to suggest I get on something to bring it down. Now that I'm a little older I'm just about giving up on it getting better on it's own and will probably actually listen to the guy this time. What should I take? I don't want to screw up my riding, especially the fast stuff but I thinking a stroke or a heart attack might suck. What is working for you? Changing my diet is not a viable option at this point. I am a single guy who lives alone and does not like to cook. I don't eat out of the pot over the stove, I eat of the wrapper on the way out of the 7-Eleven.

ecl2k
04-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Lose weight, exercise regularly, decrease sodium intake, first line medication is usually a thiazide diuretic (like hydrochlorothiazide) for most people. Sounds like salt is a major problem for you since you eat a lot of processed food.

PS. this assumes secondary hypertension has been ruled out by your doctor, I'm not sure of your age or past medical history.

Bill Bove
04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Side effects?

50 years old, 20 lbs over weight, 50 over racing weight at 30, dad and uncles died of heart attacks.

Fixed
04-06-2008, 01:28 PM
amy's and kashi
frozen dept at the store
ask about the meds screwing your liver
cheers

Crazy Chris
I recently was prescribed Enalapril 5mg, a generic drug costing me approximately $10/month. I'm hoping to get my BP down because I think our nasty winter put stress on my entire body. Try to eat more healthy foods. I've started reading "The China Study" and have been following most of the author's recommendations. Good luck.

Louis
I am a single guy who lives alone and does not like to cook.
Same here, but it only takes 10 minutes to cook some pasta (thinner requires less time) toss in some frozen green vegetables (broccoli, spinach, whatever) or a fresh sliced-up zucchini and a few other things to spice it up. And yes, I do eat it straight from the pot.

Louis

OtayBW
04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Watch out for 'beta blockers'. They will effectively reset your Max HR to some lower number, and consequently your perceived effort at any target HR zone that you ride in will vary as well.

I had to go on them a year ago, not for a BP problem, per se, but because I had an arrhythmia that I finally had to do something about. For me, I control it well with a minimal dose of the beta blockers that I now use, and there is almost no effect on my HR.

So, for whatever it's worth, watch the beta blockers.

ecl2k
04-06-2008, 01:39 PM
This is a good easy to read guide with all the information you are probably looking for:
http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=kidn_dis/7485&view=print

Bill Bove
04-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks Otay, that's what I wanted to know. Central Mass? I'm from Framingham but left 15 years ago.

Bill Bove
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
This is a good easy to read guide with all the information you are probably looking for:
http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?
topicKey=kidn_dis/7485&view=print
Perfect! :banana: :banana: Mucho's Garcias

SoCalSteve
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Diuretics (sp) worked great for me! And, as a secondary, I dropped a few extra pounds by being on them.

Dont over-do them though as you will become really light headed and de-hydtrated.

Stay as far away from Beta Blockers as you can. These are the worst for athletes. Its like having a governor on your ability to excercise.

Good luck!

Steve

rePhil
04-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Bill, I am in the same boat. Even though I need to lose weight I doubt it would be enough. I believe heredity has a lot to do with mine.I have been taking Diovan for the past few years with no side effects.

BUT, Listen to your doctor.Ask questions, do research, and listen.If you need meds take them.

http://www.diovan.com/info/about/about_diovan.jsp?WT.svl=CM

M.Sommers
04-06-2008, 03:02 PM
1). You admit to having a horrible diet.
2). You acknowledge high blood pressure for over ten years.
3). You point out genetic dispositon for heart attack/sudden death in family.
4). You display your weight as +20 to +50lbs.
5). I used to point out to clients, "The first three letters of the word 'diet' spell DIE."
6). You're staring at a light in the tunnel. Do you want it to be an oncoming train or a flashing light for a safe harbor, the station?

"Changing my diet is not a viable option at this point. I am a single guy who lives alone and does not like to cook. I don't eat out of the pot over the stove, I eat of the wrapper on the way out of the 7-Eleven"...point out that you used the word 'I' three times in that paragraph, the answer is within you. Tough love bro. It has a purpose. Health is the responsibility of the individual.

You say, "Now that I'm a little older (50) I'm just about giving up on it (your blood pressure) getting better on it's own." Dude, you NEVER tried to make it better. :confused: You don't need to listen to "The guy", you need to listen to the man in the mirror; you are a perfect candidate for a heart attack or stroke and an honest Md would offer as much atmo.

Change diet = brilliant idea.

Good luck to you.

:beer:

gasman
04-06-2008, 03:36 PM
1). You admit to having a horrible diet.
2). You acknowledge high blood pressure for over ten years.
3). You point out genetic dispositon for heart attack/sudden death in family.
4). You display your weight as +20 to +50lbs.
5). I used to point out to clients, "The first three letters of the word 'diet' spell DIE."
6). You're staring at a light in the tunnel. Do you want it to be an oncoming train or a flashing light for a safe harbor, the station?

"Changing my diet is not a viable option at this point. I am a single guy who lives alone and does not like to cook. I don't eat out of the pot over the stove, I eat of the wrapper on the way out of the 7-Eleven"...point out that you used the word 'I' three times in that paragraph, the answer is within you. Tough love bro. It has a purpose. Health is the responsibility of the individual.

You say, "Now that I'm a little older (50) I'm just about giving up on it (your blood pressure) getting better on it's own." Dude, you NEVER tried to make it better. :confused: You don't need to listen to "The guy", you need to listen to the man in the mirror; you are a perfect candidate for a heart attack or stroke and an honest Md would offer as much atmo.
Change diet = brilliant idea.

Good luck to you.

:beer:

Harsh-everyone has their problems and nobody's perfect. It's going to be better for Bill to take meds and to take care of himself than not to do either. I would say I see WAY more many people that have a less than perfect diet and are a bit overweight-it happens especially as you age.

That being said, there are a lot of good antihypertensives and diuretics for athletes are a great option. It will depend on what you and your physician are comfortable doing.

malcolm
04-06-2008, 03:39 PM
M.Sommers you are harsh but honest. I do know some healthy folks in spite of diet and exercise that still have HTN. Most that are involved in endurance sports use ACE inhibitors or some version, possibly the newer angiotensin receptor blockers. If these work I think they have less effect on performance unless things have changed since I last checked on it.

Big Dan
04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Same old Viper.

bostondrunk
04-06-2008, 04:29 PM
BB - Stay away from Two Jays Deli!!! But man, they make good food... :)

thinpin
04-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Why should telling like it is be harsh? M.Sommers has soundly whacked the nail. The sound should be ringing in your ears.
Bill, the fact that you exercise is half way threre. Most folk dont even do that. Surely it can't be that hard to seek out a healthy diet even if it is from a take-out source, the benefits of this have already been posted.
Good luck

Bruce K
04-06-2008, 05:39 PM
You might have to cut back on Taco Lady take-out as well.

You can do this Bill.

We're pulling for you.

BK

thwart
04-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Try a visit with a nutritionist with the theme "how to eat out / eat fast food in a healthy way".

Can be done.

Oh yeah... more on-bike time equals less meds. Guaranteed.

gasman
04-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Why should telling like it is be harsh? M.Sommers has soundly whacked the nail. The sound should be ringing in your ears.
Bill, the fact that you exercise is half way threre. Most folk dont even do that.Surely it can't be that hard to seek out a healthy diet even if it is from a take-out source, the benefits of this have already been posted.
Good luck

It 's harsh because Bove is 50 and is a smart guy. He already knows he needs to have a better diet-who here doesn't know that they don't do everything right ? He's not asking for a lecture that he should eat better and lose weight, he was asking for advice on antihypertensives. I know I don't eat healthy especially when I am working-like today-taking care of sick as heck patients with little time except to throw down some hospital swill and type on this keyboard between cases.

Just sayin

Bernie
04-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Bill, M. Sommers hit the nail on the head. You're smart, you know it.

Only advice I can give on medications is stay away from them unless they are the only choice. That is ONLY choice. I give that advice from being a caretaker for my dad and seeing firsthand the problems associated with medications. True, some are lifesavers, but only if there is no other choice. Most have side effects you don't want, then other medications to counteract the side effects, then medications for those. It is a slippery slope you don't want to be on.

You already have the foundation for better health, your cycling and exercise. Add in a little lifestyle change (whether it is change in the way you eat or stress reduction or combination) and you will do more for yourself in the longterm than any medication ever will. You can't do anything about the genes you have. Everything else is within your control.

Good luck to you and I hope you make a choice for your future.

93LegendTG
04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm all for being harsh. I'm 50 now and a few years back I was 50 lbs. over my old racing weight and considered myself about 20 lbs. over where I should be as an average guy. I also was borderline to high BP and gave into my Doctor's advice and went on Calcium Channel Blockers. The easy way out wasn't easy at all: heart palpations, dizziness, ect. I hated every minute of it and finally went off of them. Your body is telling you something and IMHO big pharma is not the first answer. I started eating healthy by cutting out the high fat meats and carbs. It was a life style change that has resulted in me returning to my old racing weight, (I was fooling myself with that 20 lb. thing), and my BP is now normal. A big plus is that I feel great and can once again stay with the front group on the climbs. Its more than worth the effort to eat healthy. Everyone is different, but FWIW, I highly recommend, "The Paleo Diet For Athletes," by L. Cordain PhD and Joe Friel. Good luck.

Dekonick
04-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Bill -

I think Gasman is spot on. There is nothing - and I mean NOTHING wrong with taking medication to control your hypertension. I suppose Skrawny could offer some expert advice, being that he is a heart doc and all...but I'll try my hand as a 12 year old playing an expert on the forum...

Minor diet modifications can make a big impact, but I, like you, have a food fetish...so understand the difficulty in eating dirt and grass to stay alive...

OK - here is the deal on a majority of the meds out there - you probably need an ACE inhibitor or blocker. Any doc worth his or her salt (pun intended) won't put you on a beta blocker - especially if you let them know you are an athlete. Thiazide meds work, but I believe the ace inhibitors and ace blockers (sometimes in joint formation with thiazide diuretics) are now the front line choices. I am not sure a 'water pill' is a good choice for someone who needs to stay hydrated...ask your doc.

If you have any concern, I strongly urge you to go to an internal medicine doc, and possibly a cardiologist (may as well get an ekg if you have family cardiac history - good to have something to compare to if you experience a cardiac event...)

whatever anyone here says, make sure you take it with a grain of salt :D and follow up with YOUR doctor!

:)

tbushnel
04-06-2008, 10:59 PM
one, sometimes overlooked modifiable cardiovascular risk factor is obstructive sleep apnea. It can, by itself, cause high blood pressure and there are good treatments for it. Not trying to oversimplify things, but worth keeping in mind.
Cheers,

Ted (thats ergolever to you..) :)

thinpin
04-07-2008, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=Dekonick]Bill -
...so understand the difficulty in eating dirt and grass to stay alive...
Whats that all about? :confused:

Sure, anti-hypertensives should be taken when indicated. But notwithstanding the family history it would seem prudent to take all measures proven to work. Taking medication when some of the causes can de addressed with lifestyle (I hate that word but it will do) and diet changes is like painting over rust - can't see it but its there. In the end though - it is your call. I really don't want to debate the issues around your health here - it seems so impersonal.
Hope all goes well for you no matter what road you take, :beer: