PDA

View Full Version : Randy Van Zee

scrooge
04-06-2008, 08:43 AM
A family member from NW Iowa just sent me this. I know some know Randy (or of him):

Nationally known bicycle rider, Randy Van Zee of Sheldon died Friday as the result of a car-bicycle accident.
According to the Iowa State Patrol, 56 year old Van Zee was westbound on B-14, about a half mile west of L40, when he was struck from the rear by a vehicle driven by Sarah Johnson, 21, of Archer.
The State Patrol was assisted at the scene by the OBrien County Sheriffs Office, Sanborn Police Department and Sanborn Ambulance.
The accident is still under investigation.

Sad on any level...but hits close to home for me because these are the roads I grew up riding, and a person I grew up riding with...not a lot, but just enough to be inspired by him to want to try things like riding my bike for 24 hrs straight.

If you're not familiar with his accomplishments on the bike, here's a blurb from the 2004 RAAM race report:

The last finisher in the solo race was 52-year-old Randy Van Zee of Sheldon, IA. He finished in eighth place (second night time solo finisher) on Friday morning at 2:40 a.m. with a time of 11:16:26 over eight hours behind Moonen.

Riders have to finish in less than 12 days and 2 hours to be official, i.e., by noon, Friday, July 2. Randy had over nine hours to spare. He had the classic solo RAAM finish - exhausted with failed neck muscles and terribly swollen feet and ankles; he had to be helped off his bicycle by crewmembers. Having an all rookie crew with just two minivans, he slept on cement at times. Waking up at 4 a.m. to ride before work every day in training finally paid off, though he said, "I never trained enough for RAAM." When his neck gave out on him in New Mexico, he had to start wearing an Allen Larsen-inspired neck brace. His friends made it after they watched Larsen's RAAM videotape. Two ladies he works with brought him this device and adjusted it on him. He crashed near Troy, OH, injured his groin and cracked his pelvis. Although he couldn't walk, he could still ride!

Randy's daughter Rachel lives in Germany and flew to Atlantic City to see her father finish. Her husband Chris (serving the USA in Iraq) learned by e-mail of Randy's finish. Standing very proudly on the Boardwalk, Randy said, "If you can do RAAM, you can do anything." So how can a 52-year old, full time worker and grandfather finish RAAM while other much younger men training full time have to drop out? The difference has to be in attitude. Van Zee had an iron-willed desire to make it to the finish line regardless of whatever obstacles were thrown into his way. When his neck muscles gave out in New Mexico, he could have thrown in the towel. When his feet and ankles became painfully swollen, he could have checked into some hospital and had a doctor tell him things will only get worse if he keeps riding, but he didn't. My vote for the Ian Sandbach inspiration award would have clearly gone to Randy Van Zee, but then the award couldn't have been handed out at the awards banquet on Wednesday evening. So I hereby create a new award called Chew's Most Tired Award given to the solo rider who finishes looking the most exhausted/beaten-up thus embodying the true spirit of RAAM. Few people got to see Randy finish in the wee hours of the morning that night (many officials, media people, riders, and crew had already left for home), but those who did will forever remember Van Zee's courageous/heroic finish. His neck muscles will heal and the swelling of his feet and ankles will go down, but his finish will never be forgotten. Randy became the 169th person (including unofficial finishers) to finish solo RAAM - a number far less than those people who have climbed to the top of Mt. Everest.

A.L.Breguet
04-06-2008, 08:49 AM
that's sad. I feel for his family and friends.
We're all vulnerable out there.

spiderman
04-06-2008, 09:44 PM
we are all stunned here in nw iowa.
i rode with randy on gutcheck last fall.
he finished first riding through the most unbelievable conditions
you could possibly imagine!
he is/was a true inspiration!

scrooge
04-06-2008, 10:44 PM
we are all stunned here in nw iowa.
i rode with randy on gutcheck last fall.
he finished first riding through the most unbelievable conditions
you could possibly imagine!
he is/was a true inspiration!

Spiderman: Have you heard any more information on the accident?

I was a part of the same bike club as him in Iowa. When we road Ragbrai, he often would beat the truck into town--after putting in an extra 30+ miles.

spiderman
04-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Randall 'Randy' Van Zee

SHELDON, Iowa -- Randall "Randy" L. Van Zee, 56, of rural Sheldon died Friday, April 4, 2008, as a result of an accident northeast of Sheldon.

Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at United Methodist Church in Sheldon. Burial will be in East Lawn Cemetery, Sheldon. Visitation will be after 3 p.m. today, with the family present 6 to 8 p.m., at the church. Arrangements are under the direction of Vander Ploeg Funeral Home in Sheldon.

Car-Bicycle Accident

Saturday, 05 April, 2008 09:52 AM

(Sanborn, IA)--State troopers are still investigating a car-bicyle accident that happened Friday evening that claimed a life.

Authorities say 56 year old Randy Van Zee from Sheldon was riding his bicycle west on a county road when he was struck from behind by a car driven by 21 year old Sarah Johnson of Archer. Van Zee was killed in the accident.

The accident happened a half mile west of county road L-40 on B-14.

Sanborn police and ambulance along with O'Brien county deputies were called to the scene. The accident was reported around 7:15 PM.

scrooge
04-07-2008, 09:43 PM

spiderman
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
was very well attended.
and the family was holding out remarkably well.
i tried to picture my family
under similar circumstances
and could not...
my riding partner from gutcheck
my local bike shop owner/friend
and i attended.
we arrived just as randy's support driver came in.
the timing was really something.
on display was his raam bicycle and jerseys,
matted and framed from raam and gutcheck.
the outpouring of support was obvious
and the cycling community
was well represented according to his wife.
there was a palpable presence of God,
His peace that passes all understanding
as we celebrated a passionate life, well lived
...having completed the journey
as an example to others
of joyful determination/perseverance!

JohnS
04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
My wife mentioned that she had gotten an email about his death since they were both surveyors for an organization that accreditates rehab NPO's.