PDA

View Full Version : I knocked over my buddy's bike, and.....

d_douglas
04-06-2008, 05:10 AM
I have fixed up my buddy's cool old steel Marinoni with some near period Chorus 8spd ergo parts. I haven't quite finished it, so it is sitting in my storage unit.

I am putting away some stuff and tip his bike over landing on the ergolever and BAM, the carbon body cracks. It is dead and irreparable. SH#T!!!

Fortunately, I have a set of NOS Mirage 8spd levers to use, but it is a bummer that I will have to downgrade. That said, the ergos had been pretty worked over, so some new ergos might not be such a bad thing.

Haven't told him yet. He won't be angry - just bummed. He had his first child ten days ago, so this will be his 'welcome to fatherhood' gift - with a cruel twist.

This is like when people tell me how they drove into their garage with their Meivici on the roof rack.....

malcolm
04-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm a campy fan, but I knocked over my spectrum on grass and the record break lever must have flexed just enough to pop all the gel coat off the front of the lever. Still works but looks like ****e, ***.

gregclimbs
04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
and BAM, the carbon body cracks. It is dead and irreparable.

no it isn't. the carbon body is a repaceable part and available.

matter of fact, I think in my parts bin I have a 8sp body laying around.

just take all the guts from the "irreprable" lever and put it in a new body.

g

Dustin
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm a campy fan, but I knocked over my spectrum on grass and the record break lever must have flexed just enough to pop all the gel coat off the front of the lever. Still works but looks like ****e, ***.

Pisses me off that they don't offer these in good old silver aluminum!!

malcolm
04-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I feel ya, alloy. I still have one set of '03 chorus all alloy.

Smiley
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
I have a set of 8 speed Campy levers I used to use on my size cycle that your welcome too. These have the tippy points on them right ?? If so they are yours for being such a good guy to your pal. They are with Silver levers though.

deanster
04-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Pisses me off that they don't offer these in good old silver aluminum!!

Check out Branfordbike.com. They have both.

d_douglas
04-07-2008, 02:39 AM
To be clear, these are old 8spd ones, so they only came in aluminum. Only the body is carbon (though I see no carbon myself).

It would be sad to put the Mirage shifters on, given that my buddy will happily use Campy 8 speed for the next 15 years (or longer). I would feel bad giving him these. I suppose I could be cheap and switch the blades that say 'Chorus' onto the Mirage levers, but that's like putting a Porsche emblem on a Golf.

Thanks for the kind offers - I will inquire about replacement parts....

Dustin
04-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Check out Branfordbike.com. They have both.

You got my hopes up, so I e-mailed Branfordbike to see if they had any remaining stock of silver record or chorus brifters, but alas they are all sold out. E-bay is pretty much it these days, and NOS ones do not come cheap!!!