PDA

View Full Version : Winter's icy grip

David Kirk
04-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Thank god. The Bridger Bowl is still open and today they got 19" (so far - still coming down) on the hill.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow. The ski area closes on the 14th for the season. We now have well over a 100" base. Crazy stuff.

dave

thwart
04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
You can have it, Dave.

It's bike riding season. :beer:

Finally.

Louis
04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
The ski area closes on the 14th for the season. We now have well over a 100" base. Crazy stuff.

Why don't they stay open longer? (I grew up in the Caribbean, so I know nothing about skiing.)

biker222
04-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Up here in Ottawa Canada we got over 13 feet of snow this season. I am sick of it. The weather has been warming up the past couple weeks, tomorrow it is going up to 54° F. Going out for another group ride, as thwart said it is being season. :beer:

MRB
04-05-2008, 08:51 PM
It's crazy how much snow we've got this year. More than the last 5 years combined it seems. Here is a taste of the H*ll that we've had to endure here in Montana

Ginger
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Yep, snowdrops are out!

Steevo
04-05-2008, 09:43 PM
By April 15th its time to:

A) Hike up the Mtn

B) Ride the Bike

c) Line up at the post office

link
04-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Why don't they stay open longer? (I grew up in the Caribbean, so I know nothing about skiing.)

It's likely either one or both of two reasons.

Their National Forest Service lease dictates the closing date that may coincide with better wildlife management practices.

Revenue decline as spring heads closer to summer.

I'm not ready to stop skiing - but I am ready to start cycling. I love this time of year when I find the spring seasonal weather great for both skiing and cycling. Sometimes it's a blazing sunny day in the upper 40s and 50s and sometimes it's all out spring snow storm with tons of powder and no tourists.

Karin Kirk
04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree Link, I'm not ready to stop skiing, but I am kinda anxious to get going on the bike.

So this morning we skied buoyant spring powder in sparkly sunshine. The first few runs of freshies were epic with super fun snow and the look of diamonds in the snow.

But by lunch the sun had worked the formerly fluffy powder into ferocious mank so we bailed at 2:00. I came home and got on my bike for my first ride of the year - hooray! It was 46 degrees and I just wore the same base layers I was already wearing, plus a cycling jacket and insulated tights.

I only rode for like 40 minutes and found it to be remarkably difficult! :rolleyes:
But at least it's a start to the painful butt-break-in phase of spring riding.

Oh, and now it's snowing again!

Erik.Lazdins
04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree Link, I'm not ready to stop skiing, but I am kinda anxious to get going on the bike.

So this morning we skied buoyant spring powder in sparkly sunshine. The first few runs of freshies were epic with super fun snow and the look of diamonds in the snow.

But by lunch the sun had worked the formerly fluffy powder into ferocious mank so we bailed at 2:00. I came home and got on my bike for my first ride of the year - hooray! It was 46 degrees and I just wore the same base layers I was already wearing, plus a cycling jacket and insulated tights.

I only rode for like 40 minutes and found it to be remarkably difficult! :rolleyes:
But at least it's a start to the painful butt-break-in phase of spring riding.

Oh, and now it's snowing again!

You skied until 2PM so why would you expect cycling to be easy - my hat is off to you!

If you rode until 2PM would you be able to ski?
:) :)

great post thanks - E

David Kirk
04-06-2008, 08:35 PM
The snow this morning was epic. All two feet of it.

Tough life.

Dave

sailorboy
04-06-2008, 08:38 PM
well, there goes another day that I'll have to wait to get my new Kirk... ;)

enjoy Dave!!

Karin Kirk
04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
You skied until 2PM so why would you expect cycling to be easy - my hat is off to you!

If you rode until 2PM would you be able to ski?
:) :)

Yes, yes. I know. I misunderestimated how empty my legs would be. But seriously, my main intent was to break in my butt. I'm leaving for Europe on April 14 and I'd like to be at least somewhat ready to enjoy some easy riding over there.

Oh, and it's snowing again this morning! Relentless! :)

davep
04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
I had been semi thinking about going to Colorado during my son's spring break next week, but since he has only Wednesday through Monday off decided it was too much work for three days of skiing. These reports are making me reconsider. :fight:

William
04-07-2008, 09:16 AM
It's crazy how much snow we've got this year. More than the last 5 years combined it seems. Here is a taste of the H*ll that we've had to endure here in Montana

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I miss the snow...but I'm glad it's not here now. ;)

William

sailorboy
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Yea, thanks for those pics. Your mountains are so beautiful out there! Very pointy and craggy--looks like another planet for someone used to the appalacians. I think Montana is high up on my list of places I must see...soon.

chuckred
04-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I had been semi thinking about going to Colorado during my son's spring break next week, but since he has only Wednesday through Monday off decided it was too much work for three days of skiing. These reports are making me reconsider. :fight:

If you can, go skiing with your son! I haven't as many times this year as I'd like, but when my daughters say they want to go, it's a real treat!

Snow's great right now - spring conditions - hard to know what you'll hit. Supposed to snow off and on all week at the resorts. Crowds should be down.

Great front range riding over the weekend, snow today.

scrooge
04-07-2008, 06:10 PM

I went to keystone today--it was great. There were places were there was a foot of untouched powder. It's supposed to snow on and off all week (but be 45 on Sunday)...I'd think about it if I were you.

MRB
04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I miss the snow...but I'm glad it's not here now. ;) William

Glad you enjoyed them. Somewhere on my P.C. I have a photo of the snow as high as a street sign (with the help of a little drifting) but I can't seem to find the photo. :crap:

David Kirk
04-08-2008, 11:03 PM
We got another 13" overnight at the hill. Pretty darn good sliding.

dave

mjb266
04-09-2008, 01:53 AM
This is what we saw in our neighborhood today on the way to some backcountry turns

scrooge
04-09-2008, 10:41 AM
This is what we saw in our neighborhood today on the way to some backcountry turns

I'm replying just because I think this deserves to be seen...

Karin Kirk
04-09-2008, 06:13 PM
mjb, where is that picture from? It's great!

Today was our employee day at Bridger Bowl. They close down the mountain to the public and just run a couple of lifts for all those who worked hard all season and now deserve a day to play. It's always a fun, sentimental, and festive time. This year, with the base depth at 118" and 3 feet of snow in the past 5 days, the skiing was especially sweet.

The lift stops at noon, followed by a brief snowball fight at the top, followed by enormous group hugs, photos, cheap beer, etc, etc. Then the trick is to make it to the bottom without getting pegged by any of the rowdy employees.

Then all the ski area bosses serve up a huge lunch with free beer and we settle in for awards, end of the year storytelling and a general feelgood pep rally. It's a perfect day, really, and makes me appreciate the cool life we've made out here. Sometimes I feel silly having made skiing such an important part of my life. But on days like today I realize just how lucky I am to be able to enjoy this wonderful life.

Every year on the drive to or from the ski area on employee day, I see my first sandhill cranes of the season. This year I thought I wouldn't see them because the place they hang out is still 100% snow covered. But sure enough, I spotted 5 cranes on the drive home. Proper!

Tomorrow... bike ride.
But for now... nap :)