PDA

View Full Version : Arione users , a little help please

T.J.
04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
For the last two seasons i have ridden/raced on an Aspide saddles with no issues at all. This season i can just not get comfortable on one :crap: . I cant really figure out for sure what has changed other than after the last two seasons of serious racing i have gone from 180 to 155. Maybe lost some cushy in the tushy? Anyway i picked up an Arione from the shop today and i have a few questions that i hope some of you forumites might be able to answer.

1~ With the saddle being longer do i split the difference when settin it up ( referring to tip of saddle to center of bar measurement)

2~Anything i should know as far set up, tip slightly up, slighty down or dead level.

Hopefully if these can be answered it can put me in the ballpark on set up. Geesh im goin to miss my Aspide's :(

Thanks in advance
TJ

cs124
04-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Tip to bar measurement: I started by splitting the difference but ended up a little bit forward of that by the time I got it dialed.

Tilt: Flat or ever so slightly nose down. The shell is a little bit flexible and makes a very slight hammock.

I've just got back from a hard 130km on mine and I think it might be time for a change!

FWIW1: I weigh 137-140.

FWIW2: With my saddle height of 690mm the tip is virtually over the BB. Not UCI legal. :crap:

regularguy412
04-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I've never ridden either of the saddles you mentioned. However, here's how I try to set up a 'new' style saddle.

I measure the width of the 'old' (good) saddle directly over the center of the post clamp. Then I try to find the exact same width on the 'new' saddle and position it directly over the same place on the clamp. Now, granted, this does not 'always' work perfectly - different saddles are, well, 'different', but it's at least a place to start. Also be aware that the rail-to-saddle top height may be slightly different, so you may have to adjust the overall height a little. Then you just have to get on it and ride. Take your adjustment tools with you. I figure if I can get it in the ballpark on the work stand, I can play with the final tweaks on the road over the course of a few rides.

I've tried to stay with the same manufacturer, if possible. Their tapers and padding 'seem' to stay more consistent. The biggest thing that I try to do when making the purchase of a new saddle is to get the right width.

Mike in AR

M.Sommers
04-05-2008, 09:38 PM
For the last two seasons i have ridden/raced on an Aspide saddles with no issues at all. This season i can just not get comfortable on one :crap: . I cant really figure out for sure what has changed other than after the last two seasons of serious racing i have gone from 180 to 155. Maybe lost some cushy in the tushy? Anyway i picked up an Arione from the shop today and i have a few questions that i hope some of you forumites might be able to answer.

I'd wager that your arse is larger and more muscular now then it was before.

dirtdigger88
04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
arione saddles are longer off the rear

begin the set up with the same distance saddle tip to bars then work it out from there

set the nose about 1* down- the saddle will flex when you sit- it will be level when you are on the bike

M. Sommers- why are you online- Star Wars in on TV

Jason

T.J.
04-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I'd wager that your arse is larger and more muscular now then it was before.

naw, spandex just makes my a$$ look fat :D

thanks for all the tips guys