PDA

View Full Version : Neutron vs. Neutron Wheels

97CSI
04-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Are the Campy Neutrons and Nucleons the same wheels with a newer name (Neutron)? Same spokes and rims? Thanks.

Grant McLean
04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
pretty much. all the one's with the hourglass hubs are the same hub.

The Nucleons (with the silver spokes) didn't have the machined material removed
from between the spokes like the first generation of black spoke Neutrons did.

Now that there is Neutron, and a Neutron Ultra, the basic version is back
to being non-machined, and the Neutron Ultra has the same machined rim
that the original basic Neutrons used to have. whoa. that's confusing...

so i guess you could say:
2002-3ish Nucleon = 2008 Neutron
2006 Neutron = 2008 Neutron Ultra (plus a carbon hub)

-g

97CSI
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks. Found a set of Nucleons locally that needs a couple of spokes. Based on what you've said, am guessing that the Neutron mini-spoke kit would take care of the missing spokes on the Nucleons, as well?

Grant McLean
04-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty sure all the Nucleons had silver spokes.
The Neutron kits will be black.

If you know a shop that has access to the distributor EuroAsia Imports,
they likely have the old silver spoke kits still in stock.

-g

saab2000
04-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Grant knows the details better, but Nucleons are terrific wheels. I have two sets of tubulars and one set of the clinchers and the tubulars are the best wheels I have ever had. Solid feel and extremely reliable. Solid riding, not harsh riding.

97CSI
04-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty sure all the Nucleons had silver spokes.
The Neutron kits will be black.
If you know a shop that has access to the distributor EuroAsia Imports,
they likely have the old silver spoke kits still in stock.
-gYes. Silver spokes. Thanks. I may buy them. Not sure I would mind if only black replacements are available. Still debating a pair of new Scirocco or a pair of used Neutron/Nucleon or Proton wheels. Listings for used Protons seem to dried up.

djg
04-05-2008, 07:50 PM
You know, there's just no comparison IMO. The Scirocco is a good solid "budget" wheelset, but the Nucleons are just plain excellent Al rimmed wheels -- I have two sets (one used for road and one cross).

thwart
04-05-2008, 08:23 PM
G-
I have a pair of new 2005 Protons (well, 9 miles...) which recently dropped into my lap (ouch... :D ).

Yours for $300 shipped.

Or... a 2002 pair (silver spokes, much like the Nucleons) which are in great shape. $240 shipped for those.

Yes, I'm keeping a pair for myself. They are great wheels... but 3 sets... :rolleyes:

97CSI
04-06-2008, 05:14 AM
G-
I have a pair of new 2005 Protons (well, 9 miles...) which recently dropped into my lap (ouch... :D ).

Yours for $300 shipped.Thanks! I'll take 'em. PM sent.

weiwentg
04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
minor data point, but the Nucleons had larger 14g bladed spokes on the drive side.

the Neutrons had smaller double butted bladed spokes driveside. they might have been the same gauge as the rest of the spokes, but I haven't looked at any up close.