PDA

View Full Version : Shorts

PCR
04-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Can I get some advice/direction on a decent pair of padded shorts for commuting? I'll be commuting 28 +- miles per day/3 days per week. Budget at or under $70 USD. Thanks everyone.

Louis
04-05-2008, 12:27 AM
You ought to be able to find something good for 14 miles a shot for well under $70. Voler (web site (http://www.velowear.com/category.aspx?cat=CAT-BOTTOMS-MENS-SHORT)) used to be a really good deal, but they've raised their prices a bit recently. Performance will probably have a bunch of good sales on shorts as we move into spring. If you only need it to be good for less than 1 hr rides, then you have tons of options.

Good Luck

huey
04-05-2008, 12:30 AM
as louis stated above, you can't beat voler for the dollar. thin chamois, great construction, and the include a tootsie roll with your order. i've got a pair of bibs from 03 that are still comfy.

stevep
04-05-2008, 06:49 AM
you can also get some baggy stuff for similar $$..if that is the direction you wanna go.
they often have a padded insert a lot like a basic pr of shorts.
i dont use them but i know they exist.
they would probably work ok.

Fixed
04-05-2008, 07:30 AM
you can also get some baggy stuff for similar $$..if that is the direction you wanna go.
they often have a padded insert a lot like a basic pr of shorts.
i dont use them but i know they exist.
they would probably work ok.
+1

dwightskin
04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Performance and Nashbar are decent. Voler is great, but hard to get in "just black"

Couple other places to check that have high end stuff - often last years model:

www.sierratradingpost.com

www.campmor.com

Warning on the "baggy" shorts. I've tried them and they can be way too HOT. Very poor moisture transfer.

CNY rider
04-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I think Performance makes high quality shorts and bibs, especially the 2 higher end models. They don't have cache but you get quality goods at a reasonable price.

I have some of both and have gotten years of comfortable riding out of them.

Often on sale for less than you are looking to spend.

OperaLover
04-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Just bought two pairs of bibs for $70. Nothing fancy good for commuting.

PCR
04-05-2008, 07:20 PM
You guys are great, thanks for the help... off to shop!
Cheers :beer: