PDA

View Full Version : bike Fatigue

Acotts
04-04-2008, 04:05 PM
So, i have been riding pretty hard for a few years now and I have finally gotten my bike to place that I really like (nice fit, nice parts, nice wieght, nice looks...etc) Really, i dont plan on changing it out too much from this point on.

So here is my question...

How often does one replace Wheels, Stems, Bars, and Cranks simply for safety.

For wheels, I was thinking about having 2 sets, replacing one every 1.5 years? Is that excessive? Lets assume that I like nice, pretty light wheels.

The bars and stems and seatpost, I have never considered replacing...but now I realize I have been on the same bars and stems for 3 years. Should at 5, I be replacing. If I go Carbon, should I consider replacing every 3 years? Or again, am I being excessive?

What about Cranks? What about carbon cranks?

Same with the seat post. I am on a carbon post...do I need to worry about it fatiging?

For a little about my self, I ride 2k a year on my bike, weigh about 190 and I am a peddle masher. I have never had a major break on my bike other than a snapped BB, but I fugure it is bound to happen sometime unless I really stay on top of things.

Thanks.

Fixed
04-04-2008, 04:09 PM
bro mine starts talking when it gets tired
cheers listen for odd sounds and feels

stevep
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
a lot depends on how light the stuff you have is.
race equipment is light. it has an expected life span.
it should be looked at and replaced.
that said..6,000 is not a lot for normal ( not extralight ) parts that are undamaged.

you will hear on here about some will ride stuff until it breaks.
i am not an advocate of that.
i prefer my bones intact.

RPS
04-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Just curious about your frame material. You don't mention it.

Lots of guys put 10,000 miles on their bikes in a year. At 2000 a year it will take you five.

Acotts, fatigue curves are very sensitive to stress. You are not going to find one "correct" answer here because no one can know exactly what you are riding, under what conditions, etc...

swoop
04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
just evoke the inner obi wan kanobi and ask yourself what bits you feel are tired. listen to that voice and replace. especially if its stems and bars and posts and things that connect via pipe cutters.

but before you do.. have a look at sach's nub of a bike on flickr or wherever he stuck it.

Larry
04-04-2008, 04:51 PM
So, i have been riding pretty hard for a few years now and I have finally gotten my bike to place that I really like (nice fit, nice parts, nice wieght, nice looks...etc) Really, i dont plan on changing it out too much from this point on.

So here is my question...

How often does one replace Wheels, Stems, Bars, and Cranks simply for safety.

For wheels, I was thinking about having 2 sets, replacing one every 1.5 years? Is that excessive? Lets assume that I like nice, pretty light wheels.

The bars and stems and seatpost, I have never considered replacing...but now I realize I have been on the same bars and stems for 3 years. Should at 5, I be replacing. If I go Carbon, should I consider replacing every 3 years? Or again, am I being excessive?

What about Cranks? What about carbon cranks?

Same with the seat post. I am on a carbon post...do I need to worry about it fatiging?

For a little about my self, I ride 2k a year on my bike, weigh about 190 and I am a peddle masher. I have never had a major break on my bike other than a snapped BB, but I fugure it is bound to happen sometime unless I really stay on top of things.

Thanks.

Bro...... Campy just keeps on tickin' along. I am heavy at 228.
I still have original rear derailleur from years ago.
Brake pads I changed out at 20,000 miles.
Carbon cranks...... I do not know.
Centaur Ultratorque seems like it will wear a LONG time.
Campy wheels are tough! Depends on your riding style and roads.

Seatpost, fork, and bars would be my biggest concern.
Advice from your knowledgeable serviceman would be the best bet.

Fixed
04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
ju
but before you do.. have a look at sach's nub of a bike on flickr or wherever he stuck it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9866331@N08/sets/72157604107713726/
the good stuff
cheers

Kines
04-04-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm sure the manufacturers would love to have you think you should be replacing things at intervals.

To answer your question, I think that yes, in general, you are being excessive. If you use it, not abuse it, even carbon should last for years and years. I have the original Serotta seatpost from '02 with thousands and thousands of miles on it, and I don't plan on replacing it for a long time. It looks and performs perfectly.

Most of the other stuff I have lasts until I want, not need, something new. Only chain, rings, and cassette have ever been replaced because they "fatigued", and I guess that technically is not really fatigue, but wear and tear.

But that's just my opinion.

KN

Kines
04-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I gave it a little more thought. I ride about 5k miles a year. So, if I compute from your 2k and the suggestion of possibly changing wheelsets, etc, every other year or even 3, then I would be talking about replacing things every year.

For me personally (being careful trying not to flame you personally) that would be absolutely ludicrous. I expect my wheelset, handlebars, seatpost, and cranks (not rings) to last for several years if I want them to.

Again, most of the stuff I replace is just because I want to.

My 2c, and it ain't even worth that.

KN

chrisroph
04-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm much more concerned with rider fatigue.

i've never had any catastrophic failures but i replace stuff if its not tip top. for example, i've replaced every carbon seatpost ive ever had cause they got scratched, slipped or just because alloy flat out works better and is plenty light. if i have wheels with worn braking surfaces, or they start going out of true they get replaced. if a wheelstarts breaking spokes, it gets rebuilt. carbon forks get inspected frequently. i replace tires way earlier than most of my friends. if i crash on bars, they get replaced. i've never had a problem with stems but i used forged alloy and i look at them every so often and am careful with torque. if you use your common sense, inspect your equipment and use good strong stuff within its design parameters, you should be ok.

stevep
04-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm much more concerned with rider fatigue.

i've never had any catastrophic failures but i replace stuff if its not tip top. for example, i've replaced every carbon seatpost ive ever had cause they got scratched, slipped or just because alloy flat out works better and is plenty light. if i have wheels with worn braking surfaces, or they start going out of true they get replaced. if a wheelstarts breaking spokes, it gets rebuilt. carbon forks get inspected frequently. i replace tires way earlier than most of my friends. if i crash on bars, they get replaced. i've never had a problem with stems but i used forged alloy and i look at them every so often and am careful with torque. if you use your common sense, inspect your equipment and use good strong stuff within its design parameters, you should be ok.

++ this is proper equipment maintenance, repair or replace as required...common sense.

manet
04-04-2008, 06:48 PM
... paging dr brunk, paging dr brunk

Acotts
04-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I am not worried about the frame, as it is a Serotta Steel. I have just seen in the past two weeks some bad omens. My buddy broke a spoke on his Rolf vigors and the wheel practically tacoed.

Another buddy on a tri forum that I frequent had his bars snap on him going up a hill. I combined that with the post from a few months ago of a crankset snapping and it got me thinking that is all.

I am not an old hand like many of you so this is something that I have never given much thought.

I am guessing that I will be taking a similar approach to Fixed. Really the only thing that concerns me are the wheels as they are the only really high-end piece of equipment that I own.

I just didn't know if there were certain rules of thumb when it came to equipment fatigue.

-A

WadePatton
04-04-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm a ride it and inspect it until it breaks guy.

BUT then I've not broken anything yet. ;)

Metals tend to crack a bit before catastrophic failure. Carbon--no idea, I have no place for it.

Just had two very old, way-oversized aluminum tubed (different makes) mountain bikes in the shop--one with high miles. Very surprised not to find any cracks. They get new bb's and bearing service and are going back into service, but then they weren't outfitted with race-light parts.

Ginger
04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Replace it as often as you feel the need.

One thing you don't mention is a helmet. Now...assuming that you wear one, you probably need to replace those more often than any of the parts you mentioned.

(not including carbon...that you're on your own...although I have a buddy who was recently very sad because his 10 year old TREK OLCV carbon fiber finally cracked...it might have been older than that. )

saab2000
04-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Replace it as often as you feel the need.

One thing you don't mention is a helmet. Now...assuming that you wear one, you probably need to replace those more often than any of the parts you mentioned.

(not including carbon...that you're on your own...although I have a buddy who was recently very sad because his 10 year old TREK OLCV carbon fiber finally cracked...it might have been older than that. )

I frequently don't wear one when riding alone, but my Pneumo is starting to age. It needs to be retired. There is a crack in the styrofoam and the 'pads' are nasty, even though I wash them.

Yeah, they're lame, but you barely even notice them anymore. And my Pneumo was state of the art when I got it about 5 or so years ago. I don't really like them, but if you're going to wear one it may as well be a good one in good shape.