PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite MTB tire?

I Want Sachs?
04-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I am looking for MTB tires in 2.1 size for riding 24 hour races on a hardtail. The condition is expected to be dry with some loose stuff over hardpack condition at Leguna Seca. What do you like for the front, and what do you like for the rear?

zap
04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I still like spec. s-works 2bliss tires f/r. Roll very well and lots of grip on hardpack.

smudgecycles
04-04-2008, 12:55 PM
My favorite front tire ever was the Specialized Pro Control. The Enduro tire from 2005 was similarly treaded but the profile was different and it wasn't as predictable cornering on loose surfaces at high speed. The last 26" front tire I liked was the Michelin AT though it has a tendency to push through corners a bit. I really like the Mich 24.1 light as a rear tire. No complaints other than it being a little heavy.

Although most of them are heavy for XC use, I've liked the performance of just about every sticky rubber tire I've tried. The Mich 24.1DH being my favorite. Downsides are weight and that they throw small rocks like crazy.

theprep
04-04-2008, 01:21 PM
I run the Michelin XCR Dry Condition tires in the summer and they roll fast with decent grip.

You can get em in tubed or un-tubed (UST).

The other 3 seasons I run the XCR All Condition which is swell also.

cheers,
Prep

PS - in my experience, for some reason mud does not stick too well to Michelin off road tires.

WadePatton
04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Never seen a reason to pull the Mutanoraptors off my SS--but they're fat(2.3/2.4) and I run very low pressures. I love 'em.

Big Daddy
04-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Sworks- The Captain

gdw
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
You'll get better advice, no offense folks, from riders who know the area and course. Post your question at MTBR.com in the Endurance and NorCal Forums.

sevencyclist
04-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I have ridden that course when it's dry. Kenda Small Block Eight would do well. I think Tinker used them to win last year. I was surprised to see that he was not riding his own Dred Tread for the race. Good luck.