PDA

View Full Version : OK, who left THIS lying around?

BumbleBeeDave
04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Who do we know on the forum that rides blue bikes and lives in the Big Apple?

BBD

===========================

**FILE** This file photo originally released by the New York City Police Department on March 7, 2008, shows an abandoned bicycle recovered from the trash that police suspect was used in the bombing of the Times Square military recruiting station in New York on Thursday, March 6. Still stumped by last month's explosion, police are again asking for the public's help tracing the origins of the blue Ross 10-speed and have re-released the photo to the public.(AP Photo/New York City Police Department)

fiamme red
04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Who do we know on the forum that rides blue bikes and lives in the Big Apple?I do. But this one isn't mine. :rolleyes:

I'd guess that this isn't one of the Ross "Signature Series" built by Tom Kellogg. :p

goonster
04-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, those Rosses with steel rims, suicide levers, kickstand and cool reflecteurs are really rare, no?

fiamme red
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, those Rosses with steel rims, suicide levers, kickstand and cool reflecteurs are really rare, no?My father has a Ross Europa, but hasn't ridden it in years.

Can't say that I blame him. ;)

Fixed
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
many years ago i had a ross professional traded it for px 10 I made out good
imho
cheers

MilanoTom
04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
It must belong to Ross Perot. It's got his name all over it.

BumbleBeeDave
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
. . . so fiamme red has implcated his poor old Dad in this dangerous terrorist plot. anyone else care to step forward to take the rap before we send the marshals after the old guy?

BBD

William
04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/fourpaintings/manet/large/manet.jpg

PaulE
04-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Last night they talked about this bike on the news. Apparently the bike has a decal on it from a bike shop in Yonkers, NY that has been out of business for several years, as well as one clean fingerprint that they don't have on file.

Drift but Ross and NYC-related...

Today on W 42nd Street at Bryant Park there was a much nicer Ross bike locked to one of the bike stands. Lugged steel with an aluminum cotterless crank and a very nice honey brown Brooks saddle. The frame was painted brown and it had matching brown brake cable housing.

goonster
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
When you think about it, what's remarkable about these bikes is:

- how many were sold
- how old they are
- how many sit in garages, mostly unridden (to be pulled out and dusted off every five years for a squealing, saddle sore-causing role in the 5 Boro Bike Tour)
- how many remain in 100% original spec
- how functional they still are (i.e. as "functional" as they ever were)
- how completely anonymous they are (the perp really could not have picked a more inconspicuous bike)