PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shamal Ultra tubular wheels

Jack Brunk
04-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm setting up a set to use on DC's and other long distance/climbing days. Has anybody ridden these wheels? Pro's and cons? They seem really well made and fairly light at 1360 grams.

Thanks,

chrisroph
04-03-2008, 01:39 PM
haven't tried them. they look intriguing. you have some great wheelsets that i'd love to try. i recommend at some point that you get a set of handbuilt 32 cross 2, 3 box section tubulars ties and soldered with some really good tires.

shinomaster
04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Jack I have an Idea. You could get me a set to test for you in the steep hills of Portland. If I like them, and think they are fast enough for you, I will encourage you to buy some more. Sound good? :D

Blue Jays
04-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Currently running Campagnolo Shamal Ultra clinchers with the titanium-gray finish. They've treated me well so far. Suitably predictable, quick-reacting, and no pinging spokes when they were brand new.
These wheels might become a challenge in crosswinds, but I'll have to let you know on that theory since they're still quite new. Good luck with your purchase. :beer:

Fixed
04-03-2008, 03:29 PM
haven't tried them. they look intriguing. you have some great wheelsets that i'd love to try. i recommend at some point that you get a set of handbuilt 32 cross 2, 3 box section tubulars ties and soldered with some really good tires.
bro I tell the cats around here that and they laugh at me and tell me to get mavic k's but

chrisroph
04-03-2008, 03:39 PM
bro I tell the cats around here that and they laugh at me and tell me to get mavic k's but

k's are allright.

but i like your gl330 wheels. i've been building old style wheels lately. they ride great, they're strong and they're cheap. my next pair will be centaur 32 rr hub with nos gp4, 14-15 dt brass, x3 drive x2 non drive, and front DA 32 hub with nos gl330, revo alloy x2. i'll glue up either cx or steyer. if i get dropped its not because of the wheels.

handsomerob
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm setting up a set to use on DC's and other long distance/climbing days. Has anybody ridden these wheels? Pro's and cons? They seem really well made and fairly light at 1360 grams.

Thanks,

note to self...

I will know I made it when I consider a 1360g wheelset to be "fairly" light. ;)

shanerpvt
04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
note to self...

I will know I made it when I consider a 1360g wheelset to be "fairly" light. ;)

that's the same thing I was thinking.........Jack is my Hero!

dave1215
04-04-2008, 12:02 PM
bump for jack :beer:

i'm also interested in the responses ;)

Sasha18
04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are all your wheelsets pre-built?

With such an appetite for hand built exotica, why not play the field of wheel builders - Ergott, Mike Garcia, Ligero, etc? I'd like to see some edge composites with king rims or something. Sure, there's less artistry in hubs and rims, but wheel building takes some talent.

Redturbo
04-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Jack
why not use your lews or lw's? :confused: :banana: :beer:

sg8357
04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
From that font of life wisdom "The Untouchables"

Malone: "You carry a badge?" "Yes." "Carry a gun."

"Ride a bike ?, build your own wheels"

pdxmech13
04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
those should make for some ok wheels Jack
all this talk of handbuilts make me sleepy and bored

jimcav
04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
so i imagine the tubulars to be nicer still.
i have no trouble with mine in cross winds.
I bought mine when gold was the only option--and the one i wanted as i got them for your x-meivici.
personally, i'd rather ride on topolino v39 at 1170 grams, but those looks aren't for everyone.
jim

Jack Brunk
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Jack
why not use your lews or lw's? :confused: :banana: :beer:
Good question. Some of the longer more out of the way rides don't have the best conditioned roads. I don't want to risk cracking a wheel and not being able to finish the ride. I cracked a LW on last years Knoxville classic double and I was fortunate to finish but I had a hassle getting the wheel fixed under warranty.

shinomaster
04-04-2008, 09:20 PM
My K's are kinda funny in a crosswind. Get Neutron ultras.

terrytnt
09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm still interesting in what riders think of the Campy Shamal tubular wheels. What about compared with the Campy Euros? My sense is that aside from the carbon hubs and paint scheme, they're pretty similar.

Anyone have knowledge or experience with Shamal? Would love the Hyperion tubulars, but the price is outrageous!!!