PDA

View Full Version : OT - maybe somebody in advertising knows?

PaulE
04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
What are these small ads that have been spread throughout the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal this week?

These ads all say "The people want............" and have a picture of a 1960's VW Beetle in front of a microphone. Some of today's in the NY Times say:

"The people want athletes, not their countries, to decide whether to boycott the Olympics." (Sports section)

"The people want a salary cap in professional sports." (Sports section)

"The people want to know less about celebrities' lives." (Style section)

"The people want to close the gap between rich and poor." (Business section)

Earlier in the week the ads said The people want more news and less opinion in their newspapers or something to that effect, so not quoted. There are also a bunch more sayings.

The ads don't say who is behind them. Since it's an old VW and I don't think VW would necessarily say some of these things in an ad campaign, my guess is it's not them. I would also guess it's not the NY Times, because the ads are also in the Wall Street Journal.

So, the ads have caught my attention. Does that make it a good ad campaign?

And if anyone knows who is responsible for these ads, please tell.

William
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
That means they're working.

I noticed them too in the WSJ. I'm also wondering who's behind them.

William

Climb01742
04-03-2008, 10:41 AM
they are what's called a "teaser" campaign. to tease/pique your interest for what comes next. they're from VW. if you go to their website, it becomes clearer.

they caught my eye, too. VW has been searching for a "brand" campaign for a few years. perhaps this is it. they've been doing a series of product or promotional campaigns of late. VW's u.s. ad agency, crispin+porter, is extremely talented. but it's tough for anyone to live up to the classic doyle dane bernbach stuff from the 60s. think small. lemon. it was the only thing to do after the mule died.

johnnymossville
04-03-2008, 10:52 AM
that did these ads. I believe vw is trying to get back some of it's mo-jo. Wonder if they'll work.

johnnymossville
04-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Crispin Porter also does advertising for Shimano, maybe that's why they appealed to you? hehe.

PaulE
04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks. I hope VW gets its mo-jo back. A lot of people will agree with some of those things the ads say but will have strong feelings against some of the other things said in the ads too.

The people definitely did not want to spring $80k or more for a VW Phaeton to have it parked at their country clubs while their friends were having their Lexuses, Mercedes, BMWs, parked. And did it make sense to offer a VW Phaeton when VW already has Audi and Bentley under their roof? Back in the day of this Beetle there was VW or the big 3 and American Motors (and assorted British, French, Italian brands which were minor compared to VW). Now there are well made cars from Japan and Korea and soon from China too.

Well the ads got me interested, I wouldn't have thought they were from VW. It will be interesting to see how they tie these ads into their current lineup.

PS, The people want a car with cupholders and fewer quality issues and recalls.

chuckred
04-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Wasn't that where the bug originally came from?

capybaras
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Maybe someone in advertising knows who came up with this? Who knew frumpy shoes had such power?

swoop
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
the phrase 'german engineering' is a brand they're selling.
my german engineered car was made in mexico.
and the next in hungary i think.

IXXI
04-03-2008, 05:39 PM
VW has to be careful with alllllll the elements that go into brand (consumer experience being the biggest part of it). Their Mexico plans are understandable, but regrettable imho cause of the hit n miss quality. I've owned VWs from 1967s to 2001s, I am a fan and I would be hugely reluctant to buy one that wasn't from where it should be from.... see? Brand.

They've put out some great VW ads lately, just not consistently. So to me, their advertising has only been somewhat more consistently good than the actual experience of their cars. So the brand is still...squishy.

CPB can seldom do wrong in my book. Genius strategies, unusual memorable inspired executions. These ads are good, but for me theyre CPBlite. (BTW, I doubt that blame/glory rests only with the agency.)

PaulE
04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
my german engineered car was made in mexico.

Does it use oil of olay?