PDA

View Full Version : triple; campy or shimano

dentlfly
04-03-2008, 08:38 AM
waiting on custom ottrott; considering triple. any feedback on campy chorus vs ultegra sl in triple configuration.

Pete Serotta
04-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Campy no longer makes a triple in record. Their triple offerings are COMP and two others. Additionally they only come in 170 and 175 length (not 172.5)

What this means to you, I will have to leave to the more knowledgeable.

As to Shimano - I have Ultegra on my S&S travel bike and it works beautifully (although I like the looks of campy better). Saw some of the SL Ultegra and liked the way it looked. Dure Ace Triple has a reputation of not working as well as Ultegra (I do not know if this is fact or fiction and will also leave this to the knowledge of GRANT, DBRK, and others.)

FSA also has some triple Stuff

I still have a prized TA from DBRK that will be going on my CURT or BedFord. (Yes BB Dave, I will have three bikes then ;) ;) )

97CSI
04-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Would be Chorus for me, but I'm primarily a Campy person. Nothing wrong with Ultegra, but Centaur is generally considered to be at the same level. And, I would pick Centaur over Ultegra. All three set-ups would provide excellent results. If buying new, there is no Chorus triple these days. Only the Comp, which, I believe, is considered to be at the Centaur level. All Chorus with the Comp triple crankset & BB would be very similar to what I have been running for the past 8 years and it has been flawless, other than the normal wear items (cables, chains, chainrings & cassettes).

Dave
04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
The Campy shifters will give you a lot better control of the front derailleur. There are seven identical clicks to place the cage wherever you want it. There are no "soft" or partial clicks for trimming. A medium cage RD will handle any cassette except a 13-29. If you think you might want a 13-29, get a long cage RD.

As for cranks, I would not buy Campy. Their chainring offerings are antiquated. I've always used FSA cranks, but Shimano will work also. I like FSA for the 53/39/30 and most often change the little ring to a 28. That gives me the same low gear a s 30/27 using a 12-25 cassette, with closer spacing than a 12-27.

Tobias
04-03-2008, 11:04 AM
That gives me the same low gear a s 30/27 using a 12-25 cassette, with closer spacing than a 12-27.Dave, it’s funny how taste differ. With Shimano cassettes having identical 12 through 21 gearing, I’ll take a 12-27 over a 12-25 any day. I figure that for the few times I need anything bigger than the 21 I’ll take as much range as possible as long as the shifting is good. And with Shimano the 12-27 cassettes have worked great for me in both 9 and 10 speed. Not that one is better than the other -- it's just a matter of what we like.

Dave
04-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Dave, it’s funny how taste differ. With Shimano cassettes having identical 12 through 21 gearing, I’ll take a 12-27 over a 12-25 any day. I figure that for the few times I need anything bigger than the 21 I’ll take as much range as possible as long as the shifting is good. And with Shimano the 12-27 cassettes have worked great for me in both 9 and 10 speed. Not that one is better than the other -- it's just a matter of what we like.

To each his own, I say. Campy doesn't offer a 12-27, so it's not an option for me (no Shimano on any of my bikes). A 12-27 9 speed has no 16T cog, which sucks. I assume that you also have a little ring smaller than a 30T? The 28/25 low that I've got has always been sufficeint, but I do have a 13-29 on my early season bike. I've only used the 28/29 a couple of times, mostly just to see what if felt like. The 13-29 has more value when I'm out of the mountains, but may use the 39/26 on a hill, in the early season.

SoCalSteve
04-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Campy no longer makes a triple in record. Their triple offerings are COMP and two others. Additionally they only come in 170 and 175 length (not 172.5)

What this means to you, I will have to leave to the more knowledgeable.

As to Shimano - I have Ultegra on my S&S travel bike and it works beautifully (although I like the looks of campy better). Saw some of the SL Ultegra and liked the way it looked. Dure Ace Triple has a reputation of not working as well as Ultegra (I do not know if this is fact or fiction and will also leave this to the knowledge of GRANT, DBRK, and others.)

FSA also has some triple Stuff

I still have a prized TA from DBRK that will be going on my CURT or BedFord. (Yes BB Dave, I will have three bikes then ;) ;) )

Fiction, for sure...

Set up properly, a Dura Ace 7803 drivetrain works as well as a Dura Ace double. The only difference being the 30t bail out gear.

Again, the key is in the set up. Done well, its perfect.

Just sayin'

Steve

PS: I should know, I have 4 bikes with 7803 drivetrain's. I built up all 4 bikes, all 4 bikes work great (Im a real picky frucker too, I wouldnt have them if they didnt work well).

bzbvh5
04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Would be Chorus for me, but I'm primarily a Campy person. Nothing wrong with Ultegra, but Centaur is generally considered to be at the same level. And, I would pick Centaur over Ultegra. All three set-ups would provide excellent results. If buying new, there is no Chorus triple these days. Only the Comp, which, I believe, is considered to be at the Centaur level. All Chorus with the Comp triple crankset & BB would be very similar to what I have been running for the past 8 years and it has been flawless, other than the normal wear items (cables, chains, chainrings & cassettes).

I recently (January 2008) bought a new bike and had Centaur brifters (which are carbon) and brakes installed as well as the Comp triple crank, rear and front derailer. Comp being the best one of the 3 triple cranks is made to be used with centaur bottom bracket and I would agree would be considered Centaur level because of that and the fact that the cranks are not carbon. The pieces all work well together and I have no regrets about purchasing any of the campy components.

dave thompson
04-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I've run Shimano triples, both Ultegra and Dura Ace for years. I find them reliable, easy to set up and I've had no problems with any of them at all.

When we was in Italy last year we rented DeRosas with Campy triple running gear. They worked well, did all they were supposed to do and we had no problems during the time we had them. What we didn't like was the shape of the shifters and the manner in which they operated, as we were used to Shimano.

I would say that either will do you good service and ultimately what you choose will be because of personal preference, as IMO there are no mechanical superiorities involved.

palincss
04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
As for cranks, I would not buy Campy. Their chainring offerings are antiquated.

What does that mean? Out-of-fashion sizes? Non-ramped and pinned rings?

Pete Serotta
04-03-2008, 12:01 PM

My gripe is that the middle ring is 42 (not 39)

velotel
04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Personally I'd forget both Shimano and Campy for the crankset (but staying with Campy for the rest) and use Spécialités TA cranks. They're lighter than the others and you have a huge selection of crank lengths plus you can use a wide range of chain rings.

MilanoTom
04-03-2008, 12:44 PM
On my only triple-equipped bike, I have a Record drivetrain, 'cept for an FSA carbon triple crankset - with the 42 middle ring replaced by a 39. I can't remember right now whether the big ring is a 52 or 53, and the small ring is a 30.

If I could have found one for a reasonable price, I would have opted for the then-available aluminum Record with the 50/40/30 chainring option (if I happened upon one in 170mm at what seems to be the current going rate for Record aluminum cranksets, I'd probably replace the FSA).

Regards.
Tom

Ken Robb
04-03-2008, 01:35 PM
In addition to the above comments I would consider Sugino triples which typically come with 48-38-28 or 26 rings but can be fitted with about any combo you like due to 110/74 bolt spacing.

I have a lovely TA Zephyr triple that was in my Kirk and will very likely end up in my forthcoming Goodrich.

thwart
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
The Campy shifters will give you a lot better control of the front derailleur. There are seven identical clicks to place the cage wherever you want it. There are no "soft" or partial clicks for trimming. What Dave said. More of an issue with a triple than a double, atmo.

Plus, Campy is just better... ;)

Tobias
04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
A 12-27 9 speed has no 16T cog, which sucks. I assume that you also have a little ring smaller than a 30T?No, I use the standard 30T.
Dave, the Shimano 12-25 and 12-27 have the same gearing except for the two large cogs.
One goes 21-23-25 and the other 21-24-27. All other cogs -- where I spend most of the time riding -- are the same.
On the 9-speed they are both missing the 16T. Both suck equally in that regard. ;)

Dave
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM

It means no 39T middle ring. Using a 42T middle ring makes no sense at all, since the largest cog and middle ring shouldn't be used due to the extreme chainline. You're then forced into using the little ring on hills where you could have got by without it. Shimano finally wised up a couple of years ago and changed the Ultegra level triple to a 39T middle ring, just like DA.

Dave
04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
No, I use the standard 30T.
Dave, the Shimano 12-25 and 12-27 have the same gearing except for the two large cogs.
One goes 21-23-25 and the other 21-24-27. All other cogs -- where I spend most of the time riding -- are the same.
On the 9-speed they are both missing the 16T. Both suck equally in that regard. ;)

I much prefer the closer spaced 21-23-25, coupled with a 28T little ring. I get the same low gear and no big jumps.

97CSI
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Campy offers a 50/40/30 combo on the Comp. That is what I run on the Centaur crankset with a TA-26 on the small ring. Works wonders on long climbs to be able to gear-down and sit down and spin for a while to give one's standing muscles a chance to recover. Have found the TA-rings to be high quality and work very well. I do like the idea of a 39 middle ring and will probably change out to that and a 48 big ring.

Dan Le foot
04-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm running a 5 year old Record triple (13/29) on the Ottrott and a 1 year old Ultegra triple (12/27) on the CDA.
I find the Ultegra to shift just a bit more smoothly. I also seem to do much more feathering with the Campy FD. I had to rebuild the right Campy shifter (my wife's too)something I never had to do with Shimano.
On the other hand I like having that 29 back there on some of the nasty mountain passes my wife hauls me up.
At current pricing levels I probably have bought my last Campy grouppo.
Good luch
Dan

MilanoTom
04-03-2008, 07:46 PM
In addition to the above comments I would consider Sugino triples which typically come with 48-38-28 or 26 rings but can be fitted with about any combo you like due to 110/74 bolt spacing.

I have a lovely TA Zephyr triple that was in my Kirk and will very likely end up in my forthcoming Goodrich.

I'm using one of those cranks (with just the two outer rings) on my Kelly. They're beautifully made, but are they 10-speed compatible?

Tom

Tobias
04-04-2008, 09:15 AM
On the other hand I like having that 29 back there on some of the nasty mountain passes my wife hauls me up.Dan, if you don't mind using an MTB RD you can go up to a 34 with Shimano. Until recently it was limited to 9-speed, but I think 11-34 10-speed cassettes are now available. A nice option when riding up a wall.

fiamme red
04-04-2008, 09:30 AM
It means no 39T middle ring. Using a 42T middle ring makes no sense at all, since the largest cog and middle ring shouldn't be used due to the extreme chainline. You're then forced into using the little ring on hills where you could have got by without it. Shimano finally wised up a couple of years ago and changed the Ultegra level triple to a 39T middle ring, just like DA.I strongly prefer the 42t middle ring to the 39t for rolling terrain. If I bought a triple crank with a 52t or 53t big ring and 39t middle ring, I'd immediately change the middle to a 42t.

But most of the time that I ride a triple crank, it's with a 50/46/30 in front, 14-28 5-speed in back, half-step plus granny.

Tobias
04-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I strongly prefer the 42t middle ring to the 39t for rolling terrain.Same here -- whether on a triple or double. I wish Shimano would offer a 42T middle-ring 10-speed triple.

As to changing the middle from 39 to 42 I'm not sure what would happen. I expect the front derailleur is tuned for a 39, but who knows. Maybe Shimano engineers just wanted to make the gear spacing consistent.

If you try it please let us know how it works.