PDA

View Full Version : OT: Stiff yet compliant...

William
04-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Mrs William is involved in marine cargo insurance so I get to see all the cool photos and vids of shipping incidents and stormy weather. This one is pretty amazing when you consider the size of the ship and the waves breaking over the bow (remember, each of those containers piled about 5 – 6 high are essentially semi truck trailers). What really amazed me was the shot from inside the ship looking down a long corridor running the length of the ship. Talk about stiff yet compliant…. :eek:

Stiff yet compliant.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE_ri8PkihE)

William

stevep
04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
incredible barometer reading.
those guys musta looked at and said
oh oh.
s
tough job sometimes

Tobias
04-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Stiff is not compliant. Are they not the opposite?
I think this is more like "compliant yet strong".

Sandy
04-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Tell the truth big guy. That was taken in your bath tub with your little toy ship and matchbox cars on top. I should know. You had my little rubber ducky Donald that you were also playing with that you took.....I mean borrowed from me. :)

Quack Quack,

Sandy

Sandy
04-03-2008, 09:16 AM
The Emma Maersk is a container ship which is the longest ship in use (397 m, 1302'6") as of 2007. It is capable of carrying 11,000 containers with a weight of 14 tons each. That is a little more than William and Rhea Basset can lift together. :)

Super Strong Serotta Sandy

Volant
04-03-2008, 09:28 AM
I believe Wal-mart places its shower curtain containers at the front of the ship so they can avoid water testing at Consumer Testing Labs.

THAT ride is not for me.

William
04-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Hmmm, I think we'll be seeing a substantial discount on Shimano and SRAM gruppos this year......

;)

William
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
What do you do when your ship runs aground in Mexico??

Drink some good Tequila and get tanked with Dave Thomas. Jump in a chopper and hover over it while they build a road to it and try to unload enough Shimano gruppo and Colnago frame containers to make it light enough so the tugs can pull it off the beach at high tide before the waves break her up. Then go back to the cantina to drink some good Tequila and get tanked with Dave Thomas.

William ;) :D

William
04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
more...

CarbonCycles
04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Now that took talent to beach a cargo ship like that

William
04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Now that took talent to beach a cargo ship like that

Well, broken steering and high winds and wave action can do that. I believe that's what happend there. Either that or the cap-I-tan wanted to get ashore for some good Tequila. ;)

William

chuckred
04-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Tought my girls that at an early age!

MilanoTom
04-03-2008, 10:48 AM
"Stiff yet Compliant"

If I ever go back on Match.com, I'll have to use that for my headline. Any woman who gets the joke would be the one for me!

Tom

CarbonCycles
04-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, broken steering and high winds and wave action can do that. I believe that's what happend there. Either that or the cap-I-tan wanted to get ashore for some good Tequila. ;)

William

Tequila i can understand but whatever happened to anchors away?

William
04-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Tequila i can understand but whatever happened to anchors away?

I'll have to double check with Mrs William....

But I belives it was broken steering, stormy seas, and a sandy bottom. Not to be confused with Sandy's bottom....which might be a stormy area as well depending on what he had for dinner. :rolleyes:

William ;)

soulspinner
04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Amazing how much that flexes! Made me squirm just watchin...

stevep
04-03-2008, 04:34 PM
some years ago shimano had a container of the dura ace pedals ( among other things ) fall off a ship in taiwan.
killed forever.

might have been in the big typhoon?
i forget now... just remember not having pedals for 6 months.

Grant McLean
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
some years ago shimano had a container of the dura ace pedals ( among other things ) fall off a ship in taiwan.
killed forever.

sounds like a job for Your_Friend !

-g

thinpin
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Hope my steel Peg is not in one of those containers :D !

stevep
04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Hope my steel Peg is not in one of those containers :D !

as salt water pours out of the seat tube...
bringing tears to the eyes of thinpin.

Jack Brunk
04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
as salt water pours out of the seat tube...
bringing tears to the eyes of thinpin.
Stainless steel doesn't rust and remember rust never sleeps. Just ask Neil.

William
04-04-2008, 04:43 AM
killed forever.

Well, if Shimano had incorporated “Air” technology into their pedals like Nike shoes, our forum brothers in Oregon would have DA pedals up the yin-yang. I mean, how do you think Shino gets his shoes anyway? Beach combing for Air Jordan’s washing up on the Oregon coast. ;)

William