PDA

View Full Version : Dream bikes. Why not Serotta?

MallyG
09-10-2004, 06:39 AM
There have been many threads recently where posters have asked for suggestions for new bikes. Interestingly, I've noticed that - although Serotta figures high on people's lists - seldom does it seem to be No1. What's strange is that about 18 months agao, when I was first looking at the Serotta and came on to the board to check out the feeling, the feedback I got was almost messianic. The passion that you guys felt for Serotta put the bikes head and shoulders above any one else in the market. Now, I sense a slightly diminishing enthusiasm for the brand - don't get me wrong, it's not to the point of being negative or 'dissing' Serotta - it's just a kind of 'it's great, but not my dream bike' thing that is creeping in to some of the posts. In which case, the kind of money we're spending on a Serotta should really be buying us something close to perfection, so I'm surprised to hear so many people drooling over other brands. Or perhaps over the past 18 months those other bike-builders have taken strides to catch up (or indeed overtake) Serotta, whilst we've kind of stood still. Dunno, what do you think?

PsyDoc
09-10-2004, 06:53 AM
...difference between what one considers a "dream bike" and what one would actually purchase. In many instances, a dream bike is at the financial ends of what most of us could manage...without bringing down the wrath of a significant other who just does not understand a cyclists addiction.

Andreu
09-10-2004, 07:45 AM
I agree....Serotta would be on my list of all-time dreams bikes that I want to buy ....the reality is something different (operative word being dream)....thats why I ended up buying a different mark (which is a good frame and, amongst other reasons, was logistically and cost-wise a damn site easier to get hold of).
I also donīt think most of the people here are "going off" Serottas I just think with time other frame builders are starting to appear in posts and this interest in builders, in general, is spreading. One builder will never have the monoply on interest and desirability. As regards the messianic comment of the 1st post....I have noted that there can be 3 or 4 days worth of these sorts of posts but read over a reasonable amount of time a more balanced view does come out....I would say you may have been unlucky or lucky (depending on which way you look at it) to catch the forum 18 months ago in one its least pragmatic moments.
A :banana:

Climb01742
09-10-2004, 08:24 AM
yes, i also agree that it's not people going off of serotta, as much as it is other builders raising their game. perhaps there is also a slightly different mix of people here on the forum now? this really is the only cycling forum i know of that is as broad ranging and interesting as it is. being such a great forum, it is attracting a spectrum of bike lovers, not simply serotta owners. the richness and diversity of opinion here makes it far more fun and lively to read than the builder specific forums on say the bikefan site. i think this forum has grown to a stature beyond its origins, which is great, IMO. that ben continues to support it speaks to his stature, as well, i think.

Ozz
09-10-2004, 08:51 AM
most of us already have a Serotta. The "dream bike" is something we don't have...yet!

va rider
09-10-2004, 08:54 AM
hmmm..... I have a CIII and absolutely love it!

Serotta Ottrot is still my top dream bike (and it also Bicycling Mag's top dream bike). This weekend I am riding with Sandy, who has an Ottrot, and I enjoy drooling over it. Too bad for Sandy, he won't be returning with it. ;)

However, I still enjoy lusting over an e-Richie or Captain Kirk frames as well, to name a few.\

But, IMHO, there is just something about a Serotta.

christian
09-10-2004, 09:00 AM
perhaps there is also a slightly different mix of people here on the forum now? this really is the only cycling forum i know of that is as broad ranging and interesting as it is. being such a great forum, it is attracting a spectrum of bike lovers, not simply serotta owners.

I think that's true. I'm not a Serotta owner, but I heard good things about the forum on the i-Bob list or some such, and decided to join.

I do like Serottas, especially the steel ones.

- Christian

rwl
09-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Mally, I think the likely answer may be a bit embarassing (ok, at least to me). There is greater scarcity in some of the other builders, and they tend to be one person shops. With that comes the sense of 'individual artist', rather than 'a real company intended to make money'. 'Think dream' and I think rare. (For all practical purposes, I'd rather drive, say, a 911 than a ferarri 250GTO, but for purposes of dreaming, it's the crazy answer every time. Outside of my head, I drive a Subaru.) My dream bike, then, is probably a Confente, but I'm sure I'd br riding

Climb, I totally agree with you. This forum is a rare thing, though to be fair and properly appreciative to Kahuna, the first forum was equally great (albeit with the occasional gunfight in the street).

Rick

Climb01742
09-10-2004, 09:06 AM
rwl, i certainly meant no disrespect to kahuna. i have a very fond place in my heart for the first forum...the heat and passion and yes even bile, while at times combustible, were invigorating. and i applaud his bikefan site efforts...just too few people post there to make it lively enuf, through absolutely no fault of his.

rwl
09-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Climb, Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like you'd slighted Kahuna, at all. I just wanted to point out that well, we all owe him a beer when we get over to Maui. And if he doesn't drink, so much the better with all the beer that should be waiting.
Rick

marle
09-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Mally

I bought the dream in July -- 2004 CSI

slowgoing
09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
I have a hors and an atlanta and don't ride any of my other bikes anymore. It remains to be seen if any other bike is even close.

M_A_Martin
09-10-2004, 09:28 AM
The first first forum, or the second first forum?

I think 18 months ago, this crew of internet Serotta junkies had just been forcibly removed from their habit...the old forum. When the "new" forum came up, we were all extremely happy to have the forum back.
People were also a bit more hesitant at the time to bring up other builders as they were unsure of what was acceptable content. Therefore, most of the talk was about Serottas.

Now that we've had the forum back for over a year, people have become more at ease and you don't see as many references to "another builder" but outright naming names of other builders and bikes.

Personally, I enjoy the discussion and participation of other custom builders on this forum...information exchange is a wonderful enlightening tool. Without it I wouldn't have learned about Mr. Kirk's efforts to build a steel DKS-similar bike, and I wouldn't have my pretty little custom bike. The Kirk does everything I want a bike to do. It isn't limited by pavement. Its a bike and I can ride it everywhere I want and it doesn't complain or cause me any issues because it "doesn't belong" where ever is is. So the more I ride it, I realize that it is my dream bike. There's nothing wrong about sitting around a bike shop and shooting the breeze about FELTs...but the talk about stock bikes is boring to me. (and yeah, I don't read those posts)

My Serotta dream bike is a DKS...if I ever find one in my size (extremely doubtful....52-53 seat tube, 50 top tube) I'll buy it immediately!

jeffg
09-10-2004, 09:29 AM
my Legend is my dream bike. It incorporates everything I would ever need in a frame and should be around for the long hall. Given my irrational obsession with cycling, however, I am always interested in trying new things and seeing what other folks are riding. My main interest, though is new components and such ...

Spinner
09-10-2004, 09:35 AM
many of the comments on this forum come from individuals who have multiple high-end bikes, each of which no doubt has its own harmony, unique characteristics and appeal. it's akin to the miss universe pagent where each contestant is a beauty.

i've attended both of the TdFLs. it has been fun to lust over dbrk's fine stable with others and discuss which bike is a favorite. rivendell, singer, sachs, serotta, hampstead, mariposa, moots, et al; everyone has a different opinion, however all of dbrk's rides are sublime.

heck, i even like kevan's plastic calfee. :D

Dekonick
09-10-2004, 09:45 AM
I own my dream bike.

I owe Smiley a huge thanks as he was instrumental in my Hors C. purchase. I had been looking at HC's since inception, but never took the plunge because of the significant other (love her...but I wish she rode + understood)

When Smiley informed me that the HC was no longer made, I immediately began my internet search. Luckily I was able to find a stock geo Hors Cat 56 that is a good fit. If I could get a dream bike, it would probably be another Hors, with custom numbers (slightly shorter top tube - after all I am getting older...) or perhaps an Ottrott with DKS stays.......mmmmmmmm

Hey Ben! Why cant you add that as an option? I would be willing to pay a $1000 premium for that option!!!

Having said this - there are many frames I drool after... I would like to have a Sachs - and perhaps a terraplane - but if I could get an Ottrott with DKS... :beer:

Big Dan
09-10-2004, 10:02 AM
I own a Serotta, but also a Cervelo (steel) and a Lemond. I find it difficult to find enough time to ride all of them. Sure I will like to own a CSI or a Sachs, but my dreaming is usually related to improving the bikes I own. Last month I changed the fork of the Cervelo to an Alpha Q, now I'm changing the cranks on the Lemond. If I hit the lottery this weekend...lookout... :)

bags27
09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Serottas are great bikes: almost every one I've ever seen is a real head turner, and everyone I know who rides one is supremely content. But let's face it: there are lots and lots of great bikes, and the very minor differences in performance among them elude most of us. For me, personally, if I'm paying big bucks for custom, I want to be fit by the guy who's making the bike; I want him to listen to me and for me to hear from him the whys and hows. I want to take pride in his craftsmanship and express to him my delight in his accomplishment and see that reflected in his own reactions.

And then there are the stock bikes. I can buy new or used, but I know that I'm in control of the build up and the use. I also like that control, that sense of anonymity (don't know who built it; don't know who road it previously; and no one necessarily will know the same about me after I'm done with it). I can funk up those bikes, because I'm not necessarily buying "moving art." I'm buying part of the shared community of cyclists that's over a century old.

I just don't therefore lust after a bike that is custom but built in a shop by who knows whom. Serottas are fabulous bikes; ditto Sevens, IFs, and Waterfords. But it's hard for me to get enthusiastic about owning a new one. (Well, I could own a new Waterford, 'cause I think they are true to steel in a big way.)

Dr. Doofus
09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Dear Serottans:

Your Doctor has two "dream bikes" :

A fillet brazed, sloping CSi, with tubes hand-picked and brazed by Kelly.

A one-off Colorado Concept Scandium or U2-tubed special, welded by Kelly, *or* a special job with some CC Reynolds Carbon tubes bonded to carbon lugs (ok, niether exists, but maybe if you put down enough moolah...you never know...).

One would be the everyday driver, one would be the go fast race day machine. Serottas get a bad name amongst the more narrow-minded bike geeks of the world for being "weird stupid geometry bikes for old fat guys with too much money," but when Ben and Kelly want to do a race bike , they get it really, really right. Who in the US has built more custom machines for professional racers? They, as one might say, know their s***t.

Your Humble Servant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

bcm119
09-10-2004, 11:41 AM
My dream bike is a fillet brazed CSi.

My CIII is pretty darn close, but you have to dream too, it keeps your passion sharp.

jeffg
09-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Dear Serottans:

Your Doctor has two "dream bikes" :

A fillet brazed, sloping CSi, with tubes hand-picked and brazed by Kelly.

A one-off Colorado Concept Scandium or U2-tubed special, welded by Kelly, *or* a special job with some CC Reynolds Carbon tubes bonded to carbon lugs (ok, niether exists, but maybe if you put down enough moolah...you never know...).

One would be the everyday driver, one would be the go fast race day machine. Serottas get a bad name amongst the more narrow-minded bike geeks of the world for being "weird stupid geometry bikes for old fat guys with too much money," but when Ben and Kelly want to do a race bike , they get it really, really right. Who in the US has built more custom machines for professional racers? They, as one might say, know their s***t.

Your Humble Servant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

Hey, sign me up forone of those!

As for the geo thing, I am curious.

Is this geometry weird or age-specific? :confused: :

ST: 56 (virtual)
TT: 57
STA: 73
HTA: 73.5
BB drop: 8
CS 41.5

your humble Serotta/Hampsten rider,

Jeff-san

Ahneida Ride
09-10-2004, 01:16 PM
My Legend is my dream bike !

MallyG
09-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Some very interseting, thoughtful and intelligent replies (as always). Tell me, are Serottas generally well-known in the States? Do people who don't own one lust after them as much as those who ride them? Here in the UK, they are completely unknown. When people see my Legend, they immediately assume it must be 'an old litespeed' or something. Remember, there is really only one (perhaps two) places you can buy a Serotta.

Dekonick
09-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Bicycling magazine and Kerry have introduced Serotta to the world. I would have to say that until about 10 or so years ago, Serotta was not well known outside of the serious cycling world...and a few outsiders (oddballs like me)

Kinda like Hollands is around Baltimore. Known here, but not elsewhere.

Either way, you can always tell a nice bike when you see one - even if there are no decals...

Todd Owen
09-13-2004, 10:15 AM
It seems to me that a dream bike comes from someones experiences or tastes and there are ALOT of dream bikes out there. I have been lucky enough to have several dream bikes and if I didn't have a CSi ,it would be at the top of my wish list for dream bikes. That is not a negative reflection on any frame I own, just a thought. Of all my Dream frames, Serotta was the fastest in delivery,I really enjoy the ride and lugs. Serotta frames are generally well known however I recently got back from the UP (Michigan) and had someone tell me of this legendary bike that was custom made in Denver Co after 3 hours of measurements at the best fitter in the world , it took 3-4 months to get and cost $8,000. I asked if it were a Serotta and the reply was no it was NOT Italian. Turns out it was a Serotta from Wheatridge Cyclery. I think the Bob Jackson or Mercian frames are awesome from England but in the US are not well known except from the old guys and I still put a raleigh Professional circa late 1970s as my wish list bike. I have tried to buy one numerous times... the last was NOS @ $2895. I lastly believe many forum owners tend to have several dream bikes and like children it is hard to pick just one as the favorite.

Huffy_7-eleven
11-14-2004, 06:54 PM
A Huffy 7-Eleven of course. :)

bostondrunk
11-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Todd,

I'd say your 7/11 CSI is one of the nicest steel bikes in the gallery. <burp> :beer: