PDA

View Full Version : speedplay?

johnnybravo
09-09-2004, 09:43 PM
I don't have the opportunity to test the speedplay pedal and was wondering how easy is it to "clip" into these. Particularly at the start of a race. I have used both look and shimano styles only in the past-so i only have those for comparison.

any thoughts/experience with speedplay vs shimano?

Jeff Weir
09-09-2004, 09:57 PM
I have used speedplays in the past and have found them very easy to get into. Like any pedal system, you need to get used to them for a bit, but once you do, it becomes second nature.

Elefantino
09-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Step down, no-look, clip in. It's easy.

But then there are those I know who do the same thing with Shimano ... Look ... Campy. And there are those who do the dork with Speedplays just as well as with the others.

Speedplays are really different than what you're used to. I don't advise buying them sight unseen, or untried. :no:

victoryfactory
09-10-2004, 08:14 AM
I Love the speedplays. I've used the X-2 and X-3
Clipping in is easy, double sided helps a lot. easy on the knees.
The only small drawback is their low tolerance for dirt and gravel.
You have to keep the cleats clean!
VF

PBWrench
09-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Speedplays are way easy in/out. I have had a bit of difficulty getting out of the pedals on rollers because the disengagement motion is not just side-to-side. Try a set before you buy. You'll either love them (like I do) or wonder why anyone invented such a silly thing.

D-Squared
09-10-2004, 09:01 AM
I was riding RAGBRAI with a friend using Speedplays and we waited about 15 minutes for him to get his cleats clean enough to engage the pedals.

I talked to the guys at John Cobb and they don't seem to like the Speedplays due to the small platform which can cause "rocking" of the feet. I've ridden Looks forever so don't know if this holds water.

Big Dan
09-10-2004, 09:24 AM
You want to see ankles and knees going everywhere??? Ride behind someone w/ Speedplays. Anyways what do I know??? Try them out, maybe they float your boat.... :confused:

bostondrunk
09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
They are easy to get into if your cleats are clean and set up properly. I use them, and I too have started to notice more and more that I seem to rock side to side on them, could just be in my head, not sure, but I plan to try a wider platform pedal next year, maybe the new times or the shimanos...

William
09-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Love em! Easy as pie to get in and out of. Never had a problem with dirt either? I guess I'm just a clean-jelly bean. :D

Give em a shot. :)

William

dirtdigger88
09-10-2004, 10:38 AM
I love speedplays- I think they are the only way to go. Very easy in and out. Looks and the like just make my knees hurt. I come from a MTB background, so I like the float. Just like everything else in cycling, you need to decide if they are for you or not.

Jason

Moveitfred
09-10-2004, 11:21 AM
I disliked my speedplays the first couple of weeks I had them. Float was driving me crazy. Now I love them (trained/raced on them for three years) and wouldn't consider using anything else. Ultimately I think the float helped smooth out my pedal stroke, esp on sprints and climbs.

See if you can find a LBS that will let you try them out. My LBS has a one month policy on speedplays--try them for a month and, if no like, bring them back.

gasman
09-10-2004, 11:49 AM
I love my speedplays and I have them on all 4 bikes. They work well, are easy to get in and out of and I have never had a problem in 8 years.

But, they do feel different. I have previously used Look and Time pedals and I liked having more float. Try them, see what you think.

OldDog
09-10-2004, 12:02 PM
I had minor knee problems and went to speedplays and loved them, in was a snap, out just as easy, though if not adjusted just right I would snap out, while looking behind me. I would twist my body enough to move my foot and snap out.

I had a foot/nerve problem from a hiking incident and it affected my pedaling. All my buds claimed the speed plays did not have enough contact point. I though it was bunk as the plate attached to the shoe is large. I went back to Looks to see and I did noticce a big difference in feel in that the Looks seem to spread the load better. Been back on Looks with adj. float now for two years. No nerve problem, no knee problem.

I have three sets of X2's and two sets of new cleats I <might> be selling/trading. You guys will get first shot in the classified's before ebaying them. Please don't ask me now as I am not sure what I am doing with them. :D

Dekonick
09-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Have you ever considered carbon soled shoes?

-also- if you seriously have knee problems (and foot by the sound of it) I can personally tell you that custom shoes are worth every penny! My lame flat footed lower extremity is extremely happy with my D-squared purchase.

Kevin
09-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Speedplays are great. Very easy entry.

Kevin

93legendti
09-10-2004, 10:57 PM
very easy

chuck
09-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Speedplay Frog pedals (Mtn) are much easier to clip into than the Speedplay road pedals, when you've got gunk on your shoes. I also really like the easy-maintenance grease port on Speedplays. I guess I'm not sure why more roadies don't buy mtn shoes as they're much more comfortable off the bike and the pedal systems generally are easier to clip into.
Chuck

DownTick
10-14-2004, 06:05 PM
There is no question in my mind that the SpeedPlay pedal system is far superior to any other. There is NOT a pedal that is easier to get in to and out of and they are very adjustable.

I will not even try another pedal. Obviously this is all my own opinion, but I am pretty sure that most cyclists would agree 100% after riding on them for while, regardless of their skill level.

:)

Climb01742
10-14-2004, 06:24 PM
everyone is different. personally, i find getting into shimano lance pedals easier than the speedplays i road for many years. i may be uncoordinated, but i was always "searching" to position the circle of the cleat over the circle of the lollipop. with the shimanos, i just slip the toe of the cleat in. i think this falls into the campy vs shimano shifter choice...very personal. :D

M_A_Martin
10-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Speedplay Frogs should be avoided, Crank Bros Eggbeaters Rule.

I rode speedplay Frogs on my mtb for three or four years and kept telling myself that "Everyone loves these, they're great" and still not liking them.
You still have problems getting clicked in if you get gravel or mud in the cleat, the disengagement is a bit different (I've had the shoe stay on the bike during an endo with the Frogs) I have one new pair, and used pair with a rebuild kit available if anyone wants to make me an offer on them. I'll not ride them again.

I switched to the standard steel Eggbeaters this year on both my mtb and road and I couldn't be happier. Clicking in on the road is just stepping down, if you miss, you just slide your foot forward or back and it engages. Yay! No flipping the pedals over, no hard disengagements...I've used both the shaved and non-shaved cleats and I'm happy with both.

Crank bros are much better than Time ATACs also, I always had a hard time disengaging from those...

Keith A
10-15-2004, 09:11 AM
This subject has come up a number of times on this forum and the original poster would do well to search the forum and should be able to find additional info.

I'll add my 2 cents in as well since I have some experience with SpeedPlays (Zeros only). I'm currently riding bikes that have SpeedPlays and the Shimano SPD-SL (aka the Lance pedal) and get some miles on both pedals systems each week.

SpeedPlay Zeros -- Pros
o I personally love the float; and with the Zeros, you can control the amount of rotation available.
o Easy to get into (when properly lubed, see below) but not the easiest
o Low profile and good cornering clearance
o Very solid feel despite having a small pedal platform

SpeedPlay Zeros -- Cons
o You need to keep the pedals/cleats lubricated otherwise they can be VERY difficult to get in and of. Once I couldn't clip out and had to take off my shoe to get off the bike and it took a bit of tugging to get the shoe to disengage from the pedal.
o Walking in the cleats without the covers isn't pleasant.
o Water + metal cleats + stopping on manhole cover = ouch
o I have started noticing some "rocking" and it may be time for some new cleats, but it may be that some of the screws have come loose.
o Must keep them very clean

Shimano SPD-SL -- Pros
o Easiest pedal system ever for entry and exit
o Has rubber nubs to facilitate walking and it keeps the cleat from coming in direct contact with anything
o Also has low profile and good cornering clearance
o Think of this pedal as a highly refined Look pedal and if you love Looks, then these will make you happy

Shimano SPD-SL -- Cons
o Not as much float as I would prefer
o The float is restrictive and isn't free floating like the SpeedPlays or the 1st generation SPD pedals.

In summary, these are both good pedals systems and I would suspect that most people could be happy with either one. However, if you know already what feel you like with your pedals then go with that pedal. I would also recommend trying to find a set of SpeedPlays and give them a try. You will need to ride them for a little while before making a decision if you like them or not.

Serotta PETE
10-15-2004, 09:31 AM
I personally like the speed plays and have been using them for about 4 years. Prior to this, I used Look for over 10 years. Speed plays were easier on knees for me personally.

My daughter's SO uses the look/shimano and loves them. If I was starting fresh, I would still you one of these. Neither one is bad.

Like most things, there is not one simple or correct answer.

Orin
10-15-2004, 12:27 PM
I tested my Zeros in sand a couple of weeks ago (had to do with a "local access only" road and detour signs that never pointed anywhere). I just knocked out any loose debris and had no trouble clipping in after walking across 50 ft or so of damp sand.

Orin.