PDA

View Full Version : I hate fizik bar tape

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
.*

*period

johnnymossville
04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
in the pictures I've seen. What's wrong with it?

swoop
04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
do you wish to kill it?

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I wraps for ****. I'll build a pyre soon and set it ablaze.

ClutchCargo
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I wraps for ****. I'll build a pyre soon and set it ablaze.

such language . . . you know better, shino-san :no:

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:26 PM
My blood pressure goes up when I wrap my bars with merde.

Avispa
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
1) You have to tighten the hell out of it, so it may break

2) If it gets wet, it works like a sponge

3) Stickier than it needs to be, if you use it without gloves on a hot day

4) Edges are thin as rice paper, so it peels... requiring more tightening!

There, 4 reasons enough to not like the darn thing!

..A..

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:28 PM
1) You have to tighten the hell out of it, so it may break

2) If it gets wet, it works like a sponge

3) Stickier than it needs to be, if you use it without gloves on a hot day

4) Edges are thin as rice paper, so it peels... requiring more tightening!

There, 4 reasons enough to not like the darn thing!

..A..

oh...

maunahaole
04-02-2008, 03:32 PM
use it to fire your kiln.

you will have untouchable fizikno style.

malcolm
04-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I like it. There are two different kinds. One is thin and very plastic like the other is more felt like and thicker. I've not had problems with either although I've got two sets of bars waiting to be wrapped so I may change my mind.

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:35 PM
This stuff feels really sexy, like one of my mp xgfs.

Grant McLean
04-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I like the smooth stuff,
the suede stuff, not so much.

(sort of like Scotch)

-g

swoop
04-02-2008, 03:39 PM
i love it and will come tape your bars for you if you fly me up.

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:40 PM
i love it and will come tape your bars for you if you fly me up.

Can I send you a Greyhound bus ticket? You can couch surf and ride my brothers Scott.

Kevan
04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Where was this thread last week before I installed the stuff on a new bar last Saturday?

It was a pain to wrap, no stretch and puckered at bends.
It has little to no padding.
It was cheap. Or cheaper than most.
One of my pals had some rather beaten stuff on his bars and it looked like hell.

Terrific...

swoop
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
i want to stay with the nice woman with the beautiful and mournful almond eyes that pulled a perfect stumptown coffee for me at the ace hotel.

is that too much to ask?

Grant McLean
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
It was a pain to wrap, not stretch and puckers at bends.

I won't argue with people's preferences, but Fizik tape can be installed
perfectly without tearing, or wrinkling. Maybe it's just that i've had
10,000 hours practice. The smooth colours are durable, and if you like
thin tape, it's great. If it's not your bag, then i guess you gotta move on,
baby. (danger is my middle name... :) )

-g

davids
04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I love it when someone skilled (not me) wraps my bars. I've got silver on my Nove and red on my Axiom right now. If they made purple, it would be on my Love #3, too.

I find it nearly indestructible. The first wrap lasted over two years on my Nove, twice what I get from cork.

The taping job on the Axiom is particularly lovely - someday I'm just going to have to buy a bunch of rolls and practice until I can do it as well.

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:52 PM
i want to stay with the nice woman with the beautiful and mournful almond eyes that pulled a perfect stumptown coffee for me at the ace hotel.

is that too much to ask?

Those girls are a dime a dozen.

shinomaster
04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Fruck! Now my shifer is busted! DArren!!!!

KeithS
04-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Bar:tape
Preferred by professionals and their mechanics
Made of Microtex it is durable, strong, stretch resistant and breathable.
It is smooth and comfortable to touch, even when wet.
Thin tape with almost zero added weight.

See - it's preferred by professionals and their mechanics. The red matches the decals on my Serotta. It may not meet others high standards, but then I have DuraAce so I already suffer from low self esteem...

swoop
04-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Those girls are a dime a dozen.

hush.

Kevan
04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I won't argue with people's preferences, but Fizik tape can be installed
perfectly without tearing, or wrinkling. Maybe it's just that i've had
10,000 hours practice. The smooth colours are durable, and if you like
thin tape, it's great. If it's not your bag, then i guess you gotta move on,
baby. (danger is my middle name... :) )

-g

I'z got it to work fine, but I didn't like how it worked back. Looks really good, but will it last? Tick..tock..tick..tock..

Easiest stuff ever: Specialized Roubaix. Total snap. Almost embarassingly so.

I'm a Deda schmoe.

Grant McLean
04-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm a Deda schmoe.

no schmoeiness required.
be pround of your Deda preference! it's great stuff too.

and lots of colours!!

:)

-g

Bill Bove
04-02-2008, 04:10 PM
it doesn't match the color of my Hudz hoods despite "the colors being optimised to match Fizik bar tape", still though i like it. i give it an eight and a half.

Steve Hampsten
04-02-2008, 04:27 PM
have you tried applying the fizik tape when sober?

just a thought

and the deda is nice too

AgilisMerlin
04-02-2008, 04:40 PM

just a thought

and the deda is nice too

boooyah :banana:

as i drink a beer and read this thread.......................<

MIN
04-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Bar:tape
Preferred by professionals and their mechanics
Made of Microtex it is durable, strong, stretch resistant and breathable.
It is smooth and comfortable to touch, even when wet.
Thin tape with almost zero added weight.

If we're gonna split hairs, Fizik is 75 grams and Deda is 35 grams.

FWIW, I have no problems with Fizik and it allows me to use white tape year round without the bum-stains that plagues winter bar tape. (Simply Green!)

IXXI
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Is it white? Then yes, it wraps like shyt and you hate it and should donate it to me. No burning; pollutes air and we're all about greening up the place--recycling, reusing, etc. Personally I likey the fizik.

dekindy
04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
See - it's preferred by professionals and their mechanics. The red matches the decals on my Serotta. It may not meet others high standards, but then I have DuraAce so I already suffer from low self esteem...

I was wondering about that. Good to know. I will go red when my black wears out. That will also make a good accent color for my new bare titanium Legend. Heck, I might splurge and go ahead and get some before the black wears out.

mgm777
04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I like the stuff. IMHO, it is the schnizzle. No problems here.

michael white
04-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I love the silver fizik on my Merlin because it looks and feels like duct tape. Sometimes people ask me if it IS duct tape.

also, it does last and it always looks nice, if you don't mind the look of duct tape.

It's lousy for grip, about like duct tape.

M.Sommers
04-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I love the silver fizik on my Merlin because it looks and feels like duct tape. Sometimes people ask me if it IS duct tape.

also, it does last and it always looks nice, if you don't mind the look of duct tape.

It's lousy for grip, about like duct tape.

I'm not changing my signature yet, but when I do, I'll use ^.

:beer:

Keith A
04-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Put me in the category of not loving Fizik tape too. I think it looks great and I like how it matches their Ariones (which I do like). However, it is very thin and on the slicker side. I even tried this with their bar gel, but this was too thick. I ended up replacing this on my Time, after not having it on there very long, with some Deda tape and I'm happy now.

BumbleBeeDave
04-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Bon. Trager.

Nuff' Said.

BBD

justinf
04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
fizik tape rocks. what's wrong with you guys. only one I'm feeling in this thread is swoop:

the nice woman with the beautiful and mournful almond eyes

huey
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
i like it too. wraps easy and I'm not expert, very thin which i like. deda and spceialized are both nice too. not a fan of cinelli.

there are my $0.02.

dave thompson
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
...it matches my Brooks! I've used Fizik tape on my bikes and on my wifes. We both like the fit, color and feel.

Louis
04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
I can do as cr@ppy a job of wrapping bar tape (Cinelli works fine for me) as the next guy, but I get more satisfaction from my poor job than I would from a pro's perfect job. That's also why I do my own wrenching. At least I get the satisfaction of knowing that it's MY fruck-up.

Louis

Louis
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
...it matches my Brooks! I've used Fizik tape on my bikes and on my wifes. We both like the fit, color and feel.

Dave, you're a wonderful guy, and we love you, so somebody has to say this: Those bars would not be at the top of my "Best looking bars available." They better be very, very comfy to compensate...

dave thompson
04-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Dave, you're a wonderful guy, and we love you, so somebody has to say this: Those bars would not be at the top of my "Best looking bars available." They better be very, very comfy to compensate...
Don't you live under a stump on the outskirts of the MCD plant, constantly enveloped in a haze of aromatic aircraft paint fumes wafting from the factory, all the while you are dreaming of the 'old' days under Mr. McDonnell's tutelage about how to sew the fabric on the horizontal tail surfaces of aircraft? That you buckey?

Damn straight those bars are comfy!

bnewt07
04-03-2008, 01:41 AM
How can you not like this nice Fizik Microtex?

Yes it is a bit thin but buy the bar gell and pad it in strategic places if you want. It wears well and does not fade like other red tape I've used. Plus it matches the stripe on my Fizik saddlle!

shinomaster
04-03-2008, 02:19 AM

just a thought

and the deda is nice too

I tried it today at about 1:00pm...so yes I was sober.

shinomaster
04-03-2008, 02:34 AM
Also...Swoop, my G_F brings me espresso every morning. I heart her eyes.

BdaGhisallo
04-03-2008, 05:14 AM
I have only ever used the black Fizik tape which is nice and soft, suede-like even. I find this wraps nicely and feels great under hand. I have some white in boxes and this thread prompted me to pull them out and, whoa, they are a totally different texture!! I see now though, that Fizik is offering silver and white in the same texture as the suede-like black. They are calling it 'soft touch' I believe.

It might be worth checking out.

justinf
04-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Also...Swoop, my G_F brings me espresso every morning. I heart her eyes.

Me too man (substitute wife above), what a deal, we live well eh?

Onno
09-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Just found this thread after trying to put on some Fizik tape for the first time. I've put on lots of tape over the years, but this was the hardest ever. I worked on it for 45 minutes, stretching, trying to keep a steady overlap, etc., and it still puckered etc. It looks cool in the few places I managed to wrap it well, but looks like crap elsewhere. Could it be the anatomical bars (which I don't like much either).

What's the best overall tape for easy wrapping, great looks, and comfy feel????

bagochips3
09-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Just found this thread after trying to put on some Fizik tape for the first time. I've put on lots of tape over the years, but this was the hardest ever. I worked on it for 45 minutes, stretching, trying to keep a steady overlap, etc., and it still puckered etc. It looks cool in the few places I managed to wrap it well, but looks like crap elsewhere. Could it be the anatomical bars (which I don't like much either).

I like Deda. Cinelli cork is good too.

konstantkarma
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Deda = smooth and grippy :)

Ahneida Ride
09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
How do you spell Relief ????

Ahneida Ride Hide ..... Help is on the way.

wgp
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I am LOVING the new SRAM bartape - very smooth but "oh what a feeling!"

Check it out!

bironi
09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
silicon plumbers tape provides a very tight wrap without any bulges, and the weight savings are amazing.

nohappen
09-11-2008, 03:59 AM
It has little to no padding.

Keith A
09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
It has little to no padding.Yep, but it does look nice :D

CNY rider
09-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Definitely loving the Deda.
It's going on all my bars now as each bike comes in for a re-wrap.

Volant
09-11-2008, 10:15 AM

When, man, when?! When are we going to get past the teasing stage?

regularguy412
09-11-2008, 10:30 AM
silicon plumbers tape provides a very tight wrap without any bulges, and the weight savings are amazing.

I believe the same has been said about dental floss. In fact, I recall someone on the forum doing just that and posting pix in a thread. As a plus, your hands will stay fresh if you use the mint flavored variety. :D

Mike in AR:beer:

Louis
09-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Is payment accepted only in gold doubloons? :p

rpm
09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Back to the Fizik tape, I didn't realize it comes in different varieties. I have white tape on one bike and it looks great after being on a whole season. But one ride on the white tape on another with my gray Pearl Izumi gloves and the tape looks completely dingy.

By the way, is it total heresy to cut and wrap the tops and drops separately and put electrical tape on both sections underneath the hoods? If the junction is covered with a piece of bar tape, it would be very hard to tell.

Onno
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM
No I don't think that's heresy at all. Check out the Park Tools website section on applying bar tape, and that's one of their "advanced tips". You can get a similar effect (that is, altering rotation of the wrap on drops and tops) by going across the brifter levers rather than under and over, as the PT site explains.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71

They give other cool tips too, such as using Park Tools brand latex gloves. :p

shinomaster
09-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Actually I re-wrapped it tighter and it feels pretty good. It's a little thin for me as I like more padding but the surface feels good in my hands.,

djg21
09-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Actually I re-wrapped it tighter and it feels pretty good. It's a little thin for me as I like more padding but the surface feels good in my hands.,

You can buy it with the polymer bar padding that you throw on the bars before you wrap. I like it. I have big hands, and like a slightly thicker bar.