PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with Giant TCR composite bikes?

johnnybravo
09-09-2004, 09:36 PM
I test road a giant tcr composite and it seemed like a nice bike. My team is sponsored by fuji and a bike shop that carries giant and fuji. They give us a great deal on either bike brand.

When i've searched the forum i've seen negative comment on both, but no specific comments.

So my question for all you wise folks is Why shouldn't a buy a fuji or giant since i get a great deal? after the test rides I would lean toward the giant tcr composite. Or should i spend the extra cash and look elsewhere?

Any thoughts appreciated. thanks.

shinomaster
09-09-2004, 10:59 PM
There is nothing wrong with this bike if you like it and it fits and is stiff enough for you. The only bad thing I have heard about the giant carbon bike is that for really strong riders it may flex too much. I have secretly and in public here lusted after them since I first laid eyes of the ONCE bikes. I just don't want to drop $1500 clams on one.
I just met a road racer with a Fuji with the New Dura Ace 10 speed parts and he loves it. It is almost worth just buying the bike to get the parts and the frame is an extra, and practically free bonus. Seriously about $2000 for a Dura ace bike!!! See how much a 10 speed kit costs at your local shop retail. The ritchey wheels are crap though....

Yes get one and let me know how you like it, and if it's a size medium and you want to sell it to me next year we can talk! Ha ha...

shino

BumbleBeeDave
09-10-2004, 06:49 AM
--Ride every year with folks from Bicycle Shack in Grandview, MO. They have a team that races Fuji and the guys who came on our ride said they really liked their bikes.

--Friend here in town has a Giant TCR that was clicking in the BB area. His LBS said it was cracked and Giant gave him a new frame PDQ. He was never sure if it really was a crack, but was very happy with the quick warranty service.

I have not ridden one, but Fuji’s do impress me with their price points and value for the money. Giant supplies several pro teams and also seems to offer outstanding value for the price. It might be dicey to get one to fit, though--they have the S-M-L philosophy rather than numbered measurements.

I agree with Shino--scope ‘em out, ride ‘em, and if you like it, buy it and enjoy it and don’t worry about all of us Serotta snobs! ;)

BBDave

Bill Bove
09-10-2004, 07:39 AM
A guy who works for me is a cheap carbon snob, he has now or has owned just about every mass produced carbon bike out there, Giant, Trek 120 and 110, Look... all of them. He prefers the Orbea over them all with the Giant second. Factoring in the price, the Giant is a great bike for small bucks. He just got a Kestral Evoke before the hurricane hit and should have it on the road in a few days, we'll see where that one fits in then.

jeffg
09-10-2004, 08:44 AM
Here is a very interesting comparison of the current Giant and the new prototype.

http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-archiv/tests/giantTCR_0704.pdf

The current Giant gets lambasted as a "safety risk" due to its marginal steerer column stiffness and its resulting tendency to shimmy. They discuss the reports that Telekom complained about the frames and noted that "even professional might have to pay more attention to handling the bike then they would like." The new one gets fairly positive reviews, though they are not sure about the new seatpost concept since a change of saddle or pedal system could make the inability to adjust saddle height problematic.

deechee
09-10-2004, 09:04 AM
If the tcr comp. fit me, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. But due to their limited sizing (as well as my disproportionate measurements) I couldn't justify getting one. I've played with one in a parking lot and it was fun, very smooth and light and I've been told its a great bike. (people I know)

My experience since getting my Serotta CIII a month ago is that I'm starting to really see the beauty of this "old school" steel and I'm getting turned off the carbon bikes (ie. Interbike pics). Its all subjective. I'm not knocking carbon but I'll tell you that my tastes are certainly changing after riding this Serotta for a good month... maybe you're asking opinions about this bike on the wrong forum :banana:

Dude
09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
I've had mine for about 2000 miles, maybe more and I love it. It is definately a softer frame than my cannondale, but pretty much everything is. Let me preface this saying that I love the bike, I think it handles REALLY well, it is so easy to throw around because it is compact. I also love to climb on it. I would say it is not the most rigid bike, but sometimes that is a good thing. Another thing i can do on it - which i don't like - is when on the hoods, just riding along, i can twist the handlebars and see/feel the front end twist a little. That scares the hell out of me, but fortunately, i haven't had any problems with it yet and I still have complete confidence in the bike...I know...i can't explain my logic either.

I also feel it is a little more fluid than the c'dale. Only because, when out of the saddle climbing they bike does have some give, yielding a very fluid, rhythmic feel to the bike. You really notice that as a drawback when you get out of the saddle to sprint on the flats though, you can get up to speed quickly, but not as quickly as an alum. bike.

All in all, I love it, although it looks really weird under me, it fits like a glove. I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Points deducted for front end wippiness - i know a lot more points should be deducted for that but I have put it through its share of potholes, gravel, tues night rides, training, climbing, mud and It has held up beautifully. Hope that info helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

shinomaster
09-10-2004, 11:24 AM
I have heard better things about the aluminum frame than the carbon. The carbon frame is a tad lighter and looks way cooler but I think most people really like the Al frame. With the long carbon post there is no problem of comfort in the behind.

pddebacker
09-10-2004, 12:18 PM
I have a serotta csi and a giant tcr composite and love both of them.
The giant gets used more at this point - it is seriously about 5 lbs
lighter than the csi. I am 6'3" but I'm fairly light (165). I have
seen no flexing in the giant at all - it is very stiff. I do agree that
at speed (45mph +) the front end does not feel as stable as the
serotta but that could be due to the light aero wheels (american
classic 420's).

I would highly recommend the giant. I know of at least 6 other racers
that have them and they all love them...

PDD