PDA

View Full Version : Gios Carbon

ajs122
09-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Has any one compared the Gios Carbon to the Ottrott?

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Carbon+Plus+Frame&vendorCode=GIOS&major=1&minor=1

OldDog
09-10-2004, 10:12 AM
I don't think you can compare as the Gios has aluminum lugs and is stock geo.

alembical
09-10-2004, 10:57 AM
I don't understand what difference the lug material would make. That seems like kind of a small thing to me. The standard geo thing would make them non-comparable for some, but I would be interested in seeing the list of geos that serotta makes "custom." I would bet most "custom" geometries are really quite normal, especially if you would compare the range from square geo, look's geo, lemond's geo, and colnago's. The fact that the geo is standard is not a real hinderance on most people.

Alembical

OldDog
09-10-2004, 11:48 AM
I guess I could have better detailed my original reply, the Gios has aluminum lugs, with all tubes, except the head tube, carbon. The Ottrott only has a carbon down and top tubes, the rest of the tubes and lugs being Ti. That in it's self, to me, makes it not an even comparison, though ajs is looking a ride comparison. As far as geo, you can get what you want in the Ottrott, tour, sport tour, race, etc., as well as a custom fit if needed and I would expect tubes tuned to my weight/style etc.

I have ridden a Gios with the aluminum frame and carbon stays, and fork, DA hubs and reflex rims x3. It's light, quick, stiff and stiff. Did I mention stiff. Race bike, not one I would want for long cruises or a century. I have yet the pleasure to try a 'rott.

I bet maybe dnovo has had the chance to build up the Gios and offer a ride report.....ajs may wish to post a new message dnovo may see?