PDA

View Full Version : Bike repair manual

gasman
09-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Way back when I used to wrench my own bikes, back in the time of true 10 speeds and friction shifters. I miss repacking the BB and hubs as well as everything else. Right now with only a few bike tools I am somewhat limited but I have dreams (hallucinations? :crap: ) of working on my bikes more. I have an old Glenn's manual that worked great but what would everyone reccomend now for the modern age ? Zinn's ? other suggestions? If nothing else I could read about what I might have time to do.

Thanks.

dgauthier
09-09-2004, 03:28 PM
It's my understanding that the two "gold standard" shop manuals are Barnett's and Sutherland's.

You can find out more about the Barnett manual here: http://www.bbinstitute.com/manual.htm. Note especially the downloadable example chapters at the bottom of the page. Don't be a sucker and pay $115 for it, though. Amazon has the 5th edition of Barnett's available for $84.

On Amazon, the Sutherland manual is "out of print - limited availability". Perhaps the Barnett manual would provide all you'd need.

bcm119
09-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I've done all my own repairs/builds using Zinn's Road bike manual. I've done everything short of pressing in a headset- thats when I go to the shop. I like Zinn's because its simple, sometimes humorous, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Bill Bove
09-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Ask your LBS if they may be doing the Park Tool School over the winter. If you are interested, maybe they can get enough takers to make it work for them too. The Park Tool School does an excellant job of teaching you how to evrything but wheel building. Last year I hired a college student who's only experience was the Tool School and he worked out very well, he was able to do all basic repairs and tune ups with no supervision.

gasman
09-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, simple may be right up my alley.

Peter
09-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I have both of Lennard Zinn's manuals and while they're useful, I find fault with two aspects of them: They aren't well written to explain the processes, and they use drawings rather than photos for illustrations which leave out much detail that can explain and answer "unasked" questions.

I recommend Bicycling Magazine's manual because it's loaded with photos and the writing is much better instructionally. Barnett's book set is worth every penny of the $100+ price. The Sutherlands Manual is a specification reference and not an instructional book. It'll be more handy as you gain experience and is an ACCESSORY to a good maintenance manual. I own two different editions and just ordered the newest; definitely THE book to turn to when you have spec questions.

D-Squared
09-10-2004, 09:13 AM
The Park Tools website has pretty good mx instructions online.

gasman
09-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the great information. Barnett's really is a gold standard but Zinn's and Bicycling look good for a simple mind. Great, now I need to buy 3 manuals, as well as tools, as well as lust after many great bikes in spite of having 4 already. Sheesh, I didn't know it would become so expensive to be part of the Serotta forum. Stop me before I buy again!! :banana: :banana:

Kevan
09-10-2004, 12:17 PM
one that simplifies the task and one that gives you more detail than you might possibly want. Let me explain:

In my recent replacement of the rear cassette, Zinn's book did me just fine getting through the bulk of the task. However, there was one minor issue it didn't cover that would have been nice to know about when I had everything pulled apart. I was installing a 12-25 cassette with the intention of replacing the 12 with an 11 tooth cog. I replaced the the cassette as I wanted it, installed the lockring, tightened it and reinstalled the wheel. There was no getting that 11 cog to work properly. I took it all apart and re-did it and still it failed. Finally I gave up, installed the 12 and the cassette worked fine. WTH?

In talking to my vendor days later I found out that I should have reused my old lockring, sized for the 11 cog. Who knew that lockrings come in different sizes?!

Ken Robb
09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
that's just Campy, I think Shimano is only one size.

Kevan
09-10-2004, 12:27 PM
nope this was all ultegra stuff.