PDA

View Full Version : OT: Executive Education

Z3c
04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Well, the wife comes home today and tells me that her boss told her to find an Executive Education program to attend. We are looking for ideas for the typically week-long type of grooming for executive responsibility sort of thing. Basically, she is being groomed and was told that cost is not a concern. So, this being not my realm(she makes the money), I/we are looking for ideas. Her area is Logistics/Dist/Trans; she holds her PMP and is well versed in IT projects as well. Wharton appears to have a good program; resume power is a concern.

Ideas? Any recruiters out there?

rwsaunders
04-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Nothing opens doors like Harvard.

Louis
04-01-2008, 11:48 PM
One of our very own forumites (Samster) teaches classes for that stuff at the Olin School of Business @ Wash U in St Louis...

DukeHorn
04-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Most of the major schools have executive programs and obviously you're well aware of the name game.

Wharton
Stanford has an Executive Education program (6.5 weeks).
Duke
Berkeley and Columbia have a combined Executive MBA program.
Harvard

I really don't know how serious the executive degrees are looked at by the major companies (as a stand-alone). If they're being requested in-house, yeah, do it. But I don't know if there's a salary premium for someone with an executive MBA.

kerrycycle
04-02-2008, 02:28 AM
I finished my MBA at Harvard this last year. The programs at HBS are amazing. There are a couple different exec ed programs with different goals and different committment lengths that are targeted to professionals in the workforce. The program, however, does not give executive MBAs, in the truest sense of the term. There should be a significant amount of detail at www.hbs.edu

97CSI
04-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Check out the offerings here. Couple of the large corporate entities I've worked for sent folks to courses and were happy with the results. They once had a nice facility in up-state NY if you want to go to their place. http://www.amanet.org/

Climb01742
04-02-2008, 05:27 AM
first, a disclosure: we just won harvard business school exec ed as a client. so i'm a bit biased. that said...

i sat in on a few classes. oh my god. they got me so jazzed. all exec ed classes at HBS are taught by actual HBS professors, not adjuncts or part-timers. these professors are amazing. they're the real deal. the folks who wrote/write the case studies. one class in particular focused on cathey pacific airlines and outsourcing their IT functions. going into the class, i had ZERO interest in the subject. by the end, i was riveted. just one class had opened my eyes/mind to all these issues and subtle nuances. the class of execs was eye-opening too. they were from virtually every corner of the globe, from every industry imaginable. this gave the discussion a really cool multi-perspective quality. seeing an issue from so many angles that any one of us never would have considered it from. example: one of the issues discussed was whether to locate cathey's IT center in china or india. the class discussed all the pro's and con's. then a chinese exec spoke up. he eloquently and subtly clued the class in on how any business working in china needed to consider the issue of "saving face" during negotiations. if cathey chose india, chinese officials might see it as more than simply a business decision, that there were issues of respect and honor to consider. i would never have known that or consider that. the varied execs in the class bring all these unique, diverse business, cultural and personal perspectives. and the professor! the dude was amazing. he lit the room up. he was amazingly deft at bringing what could have been dry, deadly issues to funny, vivid, human life. i was honestly blown away. i wanted to sign up.

HBS EE has a bunch of programs, of varying lengths and of course varying subject matters. these classes ain't no "perk", they aren't resume window-dressing. they are truly substantive. if your wife's company is really interested in helping her be a better exec, i can't imagine a better program. and i'm not just being a shill. honest. ;) at our agency, we have two MBAs from kellogg and both say that HBS EE is tops. and we put every one of our account executives through a custom program at babson. which was very good. but HBS is a whole other league. costs like it, too, just to be fair.

being in a HBS EE class was the most intellectually stimulating environment i've experienced in a long, long time. it isn't watered down anything. it's harvard, taught by harvard profs, with some darn smart execs in the classes.

Z3c
04-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the responses so far..

Scott

Big Daddy
04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the responses so far..

Scott

Ask Jen what is so wrong with "Harvard by the Lake"!? :beer:

zap
04-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Money no concern......

The Swiss military have an excellent executive training program.

Check it out.

Ken Robb
04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
my alma mater Northwestern's Kellogg School of Management has good executive programs and it's in "The Midworst" for her convenience. :)

thejen12
04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Not knowing the nature of what they want her to get out of the course, you could also look at Dale Carnegie offerings.

Jenn

saab2000
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Money no concern......

The Swiss military have an excellent executive training program.

Check it out.

Really. Tell me about it.

AgilisMerlin
04-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Darden

http://www.darden.edu/html/area.aspx?area=execed&styleid=2

Joel
04-03-2008, 07:04 AM
+1 What Louis said...

Our very own Samster is a "professional" in this area.

That said, I've had some dealings with HBS and those folks are top notch.

Joel

zap
04-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Really. Tell me about it.

WSJ ran an article in '06 or '07 on a civilian program the Swiss Armed Forces started in '05. I don't recall all the details but the article described a short management training program that teaches executives decision making and other leadership skills. Field work is part of the program. I believe this particular training facility is near Lucerne.

I don't know if the SAF offer additional programs, but thought I would make a quick post. The Swiss embassy would be able to provide info or at least additional contact info.

saab2000
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
WSJ ran an article in '06 or '07 on a civilian program the Swiss Armed Forces started in '05. I don't recall all the details but the article described a short management training program that teaches executives decision making and other leadership skills. Field work is part of the program. I believe this particular training facility is near Lucerne.

I don't know if the SAF offer additional programs, but thought I would make a quick post. The Swiss embassy would be able to provide info or at least additional contact info.

My time in Switzerland was interesting. The folks who go through the officer training are probably what you are talking about. They may indeed provide some type of decision making training, but I suspect it would help to speak Swiss-German... ;)