PDA

View Full Version : Commuting: What did I forget.

Dave B
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
ok, as I stated before, the Bradleys are going to one car as of June.

Sandy still won't cough up his M3 or Porsche. Don't you know donating to a public school teacher is tax deductable!

SoI have my route down...not loads of cars in the morning or afternoon, it is some what peaceful and scenic.

I have a shower at school, a locker to keep shower crap in, a place to store clothes. an extra pair of pants, shoes, etc in my classroom.

I know I need a light for the front (should it be bike or helmet mounted?) does it matter? and a blinking thing for the rear. (safety right)

I probably will sort out some rain jacket and maybe pants?

Do those of you who commute use bike shorts or get a Brooks B-17 so even boxers are comfy?

What am I forgetting?

WadePatton
04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Not a commuter but--won't a lot of your necessaries depend on the length of the commute and your location--weather?

More than a mile or so and I'm wearing bike shorts--it's not about the sit bones. ;)

bfd
04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Here are a few items you haven't mentioned:

1. fenders. You don't say what kind of bike you are riding, but do you have fenders? Very useful on wet days. Keeps you dry from the stuff splashing up off the ground.

2. slick tires. Also, it sounds like most of your riding will be on paved roads/streets. I suggest getting *slick* tires. If you are riding 26" (559mm) tires, then check out something like the Performance Forte City Slick tire. At about $7-9 each, on sale, its a great tire and provides 90% of the performance of an Avocet Fasgrip City tire at 1/3 or less of the price. Check it out:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=15304&item=50-1730&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

3. saddle. Saddles are a personal thing, but you mentioned Brooks. If you don't mind the hassle of a leather saddle, then they're great. Otherwise, if you want something wider than most "racing" saddles, check out the Avocet O2 women's model. Note, it might be called a "woman" model, but its a nice wide saddle that both men and women can use. Very comfortable like a Brooks without having to deal with the care of leather.

4. light. I like a light on the bike. Down low or on the handlebar, check out one of the new LEDs from Cateye or Planet Bike. Works great!

Good Luck!

dirtdigger88
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
get up in the morning and ride your bike- just like you would always ride your bike-

you will figure out what YOU need very fast-

When I used to commute- I would bring everything to my office on sunday- leave my truck there too- so all I had to do was ride to work and back

jason

majorpat
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I got one of these Lite Tracker lights for my rear light and it is excellent. A fireman friend gave it to me and it's designed for max visibility, they say up to a mile away. Pretty tough, better than most bike specific rear blinkers I have seen. Good luck.
Pat

http://www.gracesales.com/products/recreation.html

RocketDog
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
you will figure out what YOU need very fast-

+1, I planned every detail of my commute before I started riding. This was unnecessary. Give it a try and you'll figure out what you need pretty quickly.

johnnymossville
04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I started late last year and love it. I'm learning as I go along also but a few things.

1. The right clothes, it's cold here in the winter, but I still sweat, even down to 15 degrees, so people here suggested using wool and man-made base layers rather than the cotton stuff I was using. Great idea.

2. The Rear blinking light is more important in my opinion. there's enough light on my route to see what's ahead, but drivers from behind may or may not see me. Front light would be nice, but I don't find it necessary yet. I bought a 9 LED blinker from Performance that is super bright.

3. I don't have a shower at work, so I change in my office. I keep my shoes at my office and carry other clothes in a small backpack, hanging anything sweaty to dry during the day so I can use it for on the way home.

4. Rain Gear, keep it handy, but you can ride in anything. I ride in everything except snow so far. (we hardly got any this winter here) If I was commuting on something a bit more than my racing bike I'd probably commute in snow also. A Cross Bike with fenders would be nice. A comfortable bike would be awesome for my ride. The streets are terrible here.

5. Gloves.

6. It's a great workout.

I guess they are all pretty obvious, oh well. Just do it and have fun.

John

Kervin
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I use to have a 8 mile one way hilly ride to work. Cycling shorts and shoes every ride. In the winter, light mounted on bike, blinky on back. I'd use 28c tires if I wasn't doing a longer ride after work. Since it didn't take very long to ride and I didn't have a shower at the shop, I would take it easy on the way in. I never liked having a bag on my back, so I had a rack on the big tire bike.

Boundgear
04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
if/when your shoes get soaked due to rain, put newspaper in them when you get to work/home and change them once or twice. Will make your tootsies much happier. And put a spare pair of socks in your bag now, and don't ever take them out. If you do it will monsoon unexpectedly that day.

SoCalSteve
04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
ok, as I stated before, the Bradleys are going to one car as of June.

Sandy still won't cough up his M3 or Porsche. Don't you know donating to a public school teacher is tax deductable!

SoI have my route down...not loads of cars in the morning or afternoon, it is some what peaceful and scenic.

I have a shower at school, a locker to keep shower crap in, a place to store clothes. an extra pair of pants, shoes, etc in my classroom.

I know I need a light for the front (should it be bike or helmet mounted?) does it matter? and a blinking thing for the rear. (safety right)

I probably will sort out some rain jacket and maybe pants?

Do those of you who commute use bike shorts or get a Brooks B-17 so even boxers are comfy?
What am I forgetting?

6 mile commute through sunny Los Angeles. I wear jean shorts and use a B-17 saddle. Its plenty comfy for going 6 miles. I am sure I could go 3 times that distance on the Brooks and still be extremely comfortable.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Steve

PS: You may not need to shower when you get to work. I shower at home before the ride, wear a light base layer and then just take that off when I get to work. I am still scrub-a-dub clean from my shower...

xjoex
04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I have been commuting daily for a while now. Here are my observations

1. Rear blinky lights, you can't have enough helmet mount is great too!
If your helmet doesn't have a nice spot for a light on the rear, this works: http://www.rei.com/product/704589?vcat=REI_SEARCH
More thoughts on rear lights: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2007/10/paint-it-black.html

2. Front Light: You want to be seen, the Light and Motion Vega is a great light with a bright enough for light mtn biking, but great for riding on the road, and blinking mode is great.
More thoughts on front lights:
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/02/review-light-and-motion-vega.html

3. I wear a reflective vest...

4. Use a pannier if you have a rear rack. Also like was said above, fenders are great. If you have to carry a laptop or anything heavy, you'll love a pannier. I use the ortlieb office bag since it rains all the time here.
Ortlieb Office Bag Review: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2007/08/review-ortlieb-office-bag.html

5. Leave a large amount of dress clothes at work ( I leave almost all of mine, since I never drive...) so you only have to carry drawls, and an undershirt.

6. I use a pair of Goretex Paclite pants to wear in the rain and when its below 30 out. Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardware make nice ones. I had heard a lot about the Showers Pass jackets and purchased one last month. It is a great jacket so far. Lots of ventilation with pit zips, a detachable hood, and pretty darn waterproof.
Showers Pass: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/03/review-showers-pass-elite-20-cycling.html

7. If you ride in the winter, get really warm gloves and winter mtn bike shoes.
More thoughts on gloves: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/01/mittens.html
The winter shoes I use are Diadora Chili Extremes: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2007/01/review-diadora-chili-extreme-winter.html

8. I wear bike clothes, but my commute is 30 minutes, and I sweat plenty in 30 minutes. In the summer I wear a pair of baggy shorts over my tights, in case I stop at the grocery store on my way home.

Its fun, its a good workout and it saves money!

-Joe

Kevan
04-01-2008, 02:11 PM
that said, I have both a bar-mounted headlight (bright but inexpensive LED variety) and multi-blinkie taillight. Depending on your traffic situation and prevailing sunlight, you might consider lights that blink off to the sides or shoulders so intersections don't get too gnarly for you. When I drive home at night, I come to, at one section, a fast downhill that levels out to a yielding merger. The road I'm merging onto is a popular cycling route so as I get close to merging I'm looking extra super-hard to see if a cyclist might be blowing past with lights not oriented for me to see. Get my point?

The dress and undress part of the process is a hassle so I leave my riding to when I can keep my wardrobe to a minimum.

pdxmech13
04-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Don't forget your smile :beer:

Sasha18
04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
My best friends:

-Baby wipes

-Cycling cap (for rain and setting sun)

-This rear light - http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Blinky-eXtreme-Bicycle/dp/B000KBEH1W

-A buddy flap or extended fender on the front (keeps my feet dry)

-An extra lock to be left at your destination. This way you never forget it and you have added protection.

As for clothing, I think the choice between rain pants and tights is an interesting one. Pants are a pain, don't last long with regular commuting, and you still get wet or at least clammy. But for those of us who don't really have good changing facilities, they are sometimes the best thing. If I could, I would go for tights, accept the wetness and be prepared to change. It's a lot more comfy.

spiderman
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
this week with the freezing rain, snow, ice pellets, etc
i have used panniers and studded 35mm snow tires,
then when home for lunch the snow was melting
and the roads were messy, so i rode my fixie with 25mm tires
and rear fender.
tomorrow may be more of the same.
thursday or friday may be nice enough to get the csi back out.
i like the pannier from arkel that i can quickly put on the rack
or like today, use as a backpack
to brink home clothes for the wash even if i change bikes mid day.
i have a couple different lighting systems.
the dinotte is nice because you can either bar or helmet mount
depending on how dark it is when you ride home.
the rear flasher is the best out there
when i ride longer and on busier roads.

if i'm just riding my 2.5 miles to work
i'll wear my clothes for the day
and bring cycling clothes for a longer ride at noon
in one of many bags i like to use
depending on which bike i ride
and how extreme the temperature change might be during the day...

i do have a weeks worth of clothes at the office
multiple pairs of shoes, etc
as this commuting thing has evolved over the last few years.

Fixed
04-01-2008, 02:30 PM
bro i ride to work in my work clothes cargo shorts and a sachs t shirt in my mess bag i carry my race kit so I can jam with the cats on the way home you might need a light for the a.m. depending what time you have to be at school . a change of clothes and shower and a pair of dry shoes and you are readdy for the weather go baby go
cheers

72gmc
04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
All good advice, but Jason's may be best. You'll figure out that you're carrying too much and wearing too much--and then you'll figure it out. Wear what works now and adjust from there. Starting out cold is not a bad thing.

Welcome to the cult of commuters! We're as crazy as we seem.

bigbill
04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I commuted every day for two plus years in Hawaii. Up until the day I left I was still refining my commute. Get the basics and everything else falls into place.

I had a couple of things that were hard and fast:
1. Never leave in the morning without a round trip worth of charge in your headlight batteries. Something might happen at work that keeps you late or there might be inclement weather and your headlight would improve your visibility.
2. Inspect your tires once a week. Deflate the tire and use a light or sunlight to look for stuff inbedded in the tread.
3. Spend the first 10-15 minutes after you get home getting the bike ready to go for the next morning.
4. Don't skimp on tires, lights, or reflective gear. Put your lights and reflective gear on your frame and rack if you have one. Cars are looking for the tail lights of another car. Put your stuff at the same level.
5. Handlebar headlight.

thwart
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Baby wipes (get unscented...) will make do on those whoops-left-too-late, need to ride fast mornings. Not a shower, but close. Close enough, anyway.

Good for you on your decision. :beer:

Sorry to read about the folks above who are no longer commuting.

dirtdigger88
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Sorry to read about the folks above who are no longer commuting.

My office moved three years ago- that ended my commuting days for two reason

1. no showers at the new office- yes I know I could get around that part

2. there is only one way over the river - thats on an interstate :rolleyes:

I worked it out with my boss- I now come in the office about 2 hours later than before (yes i work later now too) so I can still get my ride in

Jason

CNY rider
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I commuted every day for two plus years in Hawaii. Up until the day I left I was still refining my commute. Get the basics and everything else falls into place.

I had a couple of things that were hard and fast:
1. Never leave in the morning without a round trip worth of charge in your headlight batteries. Something might happen at work that keeps you late or there might be inclement weather and your headlight would improve your visibility.

I'll one-up you here: Get 2 chargers for your light/batteries and keep one in your office.
Somehow, sometime you're going to ride to work with a partial charge, and then get stuck late and ride home on a pitch black night. Being able to charge a run down battery while at work will save a scary ride home or the humiliation of bumming a lift!

bigbill
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll one-up you here: Get 2 chargers for your light/batteries and keep one in your office.
Somehow, sometime you're going to ride to work with a partial charge, and then get stuck late and ride home on a pitch black night. Being able to charge a run down battery while at work will save a scary ride home or the humiliation of bumming a lift!

I thought about a second charger, but my headlight has a NiMH battery with a four hour duration. I charged it on Sundays and Wednesday. I only needed on the way to work. My commutes last month here in the PNW required the headlight in both directions. I had to charge the battery every night.

JAY33
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Up here in Canada I have to deal with really cold mornings and I won't ride without ear warmers. I have a set of ear muffs and a ear band which is a lighter weight for the not so cold mornings.

giordana93
04-01-2008, 03:32 PM
FENDERS
are a must, with a long flap on the front one if possible (see the planet bikes or go to the cut up soda bottle riveted on). they don't get in the way when it's nice outside, and make rain rides not only tolerable but even fun. really, you won't believe the difference

a rear rack is nice, since this will also be your second car apparently. I run a traditional pannier on one side and one of those grocery bag unfolds when you need it but otherwise flat and out of the way things on the other side (insert your own hyphens. with the two panniers like that and a messenger bag, you can easily do a 2 or 3 bag grocery run.

maunahaole
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
This suggestion may sound fred-like, but it works...take some pieces of red and white reflective tape and put it on the inside of the rim in an alternating pattern. Car headlights really light it up and it gives the illusion that it is blinking. Adds little weight, takes no batteries and is visible from multiple angles.

palincss
04-01-2008, 04:24 PM

Even better, get rid of those rechargable batteries. Switch to a generator hub and you'll never have to worry about battery charge again. Just flip the switch and the light is on.

Kevan
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
how long is your commute?

Short rides you can tolerate some discomfort better than the long ones. The simpler you can make it the better it will be for you.

72gmc
04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
This suggestion may sound fred-like, but it works...take some pieces of red and white reflective tape and put it on the inside of the rim in an alternating pattern. Car headlights really light it up and it gives the illusion that it is blinking. Adds little weight, takes no batteries and is visible from multiple angles.

Forgot that one. I have white tape on mine.

markie
04-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Where you live and how long the commute is make such a big difference.
I commute daily in IL. I need a whole lot more stuff compared to my old commute in DC.

I do like having a big bag (Timbuk2) and taking more than a weeks worth of clothes in at one go.

I like having a very bright helmet light so I can shine my light on erratic drivers. Right now I have cateye double shot pro. Light, bright and expensive.

I like having 10 pairs of cycling shorts so I don't have to do laundry more than once a week.

I like wool baselayers. I wear them for weeks at a time without washing them. Icebreaker and Ibex are awesome.

I like the planet bike blinky rear light that others have posted, cheap and reliable.

Dave B
04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, commute will be maybe 6/7 miles one way, so no biggie. Seriously. Country roads then to a park then by Reggie Miller's house and then onto the busy road for maybe 1/4mile. But they built a bike lane. I hate to say I should have done this a long time ago, but i was lazy...now not so much. ;)

Remember I teach 5th grade so no suit, tie..heck I have not worn a tie in years.

We have a locker room so i can shower and all of that jazz. I think I have everything at least in my head and mostly based on what I have read here.

I am working on sorting out a bike and think for me a cross bike would be the best option. they are so darn versatile and i could use it to have all sorts of fun.

I figure a messenger bag with some lunch, maybe some clothes that are not already at school and a freaking huge smile on my face. We talk so much about cycling in my class, I think I might as well model what we all should be doing instead of talking out of my arse.

Fixed
04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
mr pres. the bike you ride........well it needs to be a little junky imho
i have a 56 steel frame all boxed it is yours if you want it with the crank and brakes on it
cheers

Dave B
04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Fixed I sent you a PM.

No way do I want another Moots. Especially to commute on.

They just built one for the last NAHMBS. I bet it is like 6/7K for that. Not exactly what i am looking for.

ColdRider
04-01-2008, 07:06 PM
+1 on the Planet Bike Rear Blinky (Super Flash). I consider it a poor man's Dinotte tail light. It's very bright and has 2 blinking mode and a constant mode. It's one of the items that I went "why did I not buy this before".

Also, +1 on the fenders. It makes for worry-free all-weather riding. Planet bike (again!) makes very nice inexpensive fenders. Their new "Cascadia" line has extended front and rear mudflap.

I would definitely go with bike shorts, especially since you have access to showers at work.

Another commuter's secret is to haul working clothes to work by car when you are not commuting as to lighten your pack.

Kudos for doing this for yourself and to lead by example also =)

xjoex
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I am working on sorting out a bike and think for me a cross bike would be the best option. they are so darn versatile and i could use it to have all sorts of fun.

More of my 2 cents... I think there is no finer commuter than a cross bike, if you have to go over curbs and on some dirt trails, its totally capable, but almost just as fast as a road bike on the road.

In the winter I throw studded tires on it, in the summer I use the WTB allterrainasaurus 32c tires with mr tuffy's on the inside. I have to lock my bike up outside so I use pinhead locking skewers on the wheels and seat.

I commute on this:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/bikes/IMGP2988.jpg

-Joe

Dave B
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
That is pretty cool, I have always wanted a bianchi.

I actually did not even think of sorting out a flat bar.

Sorry cross on the brain.

Peter P.
04-01-2008, 09:38 PM
A bike mounted light is better than a helmet light because drivers aren't looking for objects higher up; the closer the height of the light to the driver's eyes, the better. The only benefit to a helmet mounted light is you can aim it directly into a driver's eyes to get their attention, even if you think it may blind them.

If you can't run with more than one taillight or headlight, you should definitely use reflective material on yourself and your bike. You should use it anyway, but especially if you don't have secondary lights.

The reason is, you want to form a SHAPE that the drivers can see. A point source of a single headlight/taillight gives no clue to the clueless driver what it is ahead of them/they're approaching. The more you can do to illuminate yourself to present and image shape/size, the better.

For night riding, I wear a reflective vest, and 2" wide reflective ankle bands. I also have reflective tape on my helmet. If you don't want the helmet to look "dorky" then use tape the same color as your helmet.
http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=DE181

Here's the front and rear of my helmet. The tape is much more visible than the photos suggest:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2309001074_983c99a9ce.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2037/2309001070_204bb2be7c.jpg?v=0
Note the flashing headlight on the handlebars.

Here's my commuter bike. That's reflective tape on the forks.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2335768851_f4c025cc31.jpg?v=0

On the bike, I wrapped the body of my frame pump in reflective tape, as well as installed in on the front/back of the crankarms (the silver is virtually invisible during the day), the fork legs, the vertical face of the rear rack deck, and on the sides and rear of the rear fender. I installed it on my rims on 5 consecutive spaces between spokes; it's much more effective than equally spaced about the rim circumference.

And fenders-get fenders if you can. They'll pay for themselves the first time you ride in the rain.

IPH
04-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I'll throw in my support on the fenders, clothes left at work, Planet Bike Superflash, lot of reflective stuff, flashing handlebar mount light (you can get an LED light that's bright enough to light your way, with a flash mode, fairly cheaply...batteries last forever...run it flashing when near intersections, etc, those are often the most dangerous spots for a commuter...I also run a helmet mounted LED light with flasher to get people's attention).

PANNIERS: I started commuting with a backpack, then a rack with a rack trunk and now use a pannier and couldn't be happier. I have a pair of Jannd Commuter Panniers I scored used off ebay that are bombproff and easily pulled off the rack, with a shoulder strap etc....just run one bag most of the time. The great thing about panniers is that they'll give you more liberty to make runs to the grocery store, etc. using your bike instead of driving there in the cage.

TOOLS:....the one thing I don't think has been mentioned yet...throw a little tool kit w/tire levers, shorty pump and spare tube in your commuter bag. One day you'll need it and won't feel like a chump walking your bike home!!

Welcome to commuting! :beer: Every ride to work has the potential for adventure!

johnnymossville
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Forgot to mention those.

I never leave home without them anymore. Had to call the wife a few times even when I was WAYYYYY far from home. I carry them commuting to work also now.

northbend
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Got some of these at the Seattle Bike expo. Been using them on the commute in the morning. Just another good safety item. Be careful though when your nose runs. The reflective patches on the thumb are very sharp.

http://www.gloglov.com/

dawgie
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I've been bike commuting 3-4 days/week for the past year, about 22 miles roundtrip. I usually drive on the days it rains, and use those days to stock up clean clothes, snacks and other supplies, and bring home dirty laundry. Here are some of my tips:
-- Planet Bike Superflash is the best inexpensive tail lights. Dinotte's are the best but cost $140 more and are hard to mount unless you have a free, unobscured seatpost.
-- Lots of options for headlights, but probably the best inexpensive option is the Fenix L2D Premium, which is an LED flashlight that runs on 2 AA batteries. The whole light w/ batteries only weighs about 100 grams, and will provide 4 or more hours of run time between charges, depending on the brightness level you use. Costs about $65, and Fenix sells handlebar mounts for $7-15. Puts out an amazing amount of light, but if you need more there are lots of more expensive options.
-- If you have a rear rack or can mount one, get a set of panniers or a rack-top bag to carry clothes, food, tools and other gear.
-- If you can't use a rear rack, get one of the Carradice seat bags, which come in a range of sizes and styles. I use a Carradice Barley, which has enough room for a change of clothes, lunch, tools, phone, glasses, lock and other gear.
-- Get a bell or horn to alert Ninja joggers who love to run in the road, in the dark with black clothes and no reflective gear.
-- If you plan to ride in the rain, get fenders and decent rain gear. You will still get wet, but you will at least look the part.
-- Plan to spend as much money as you save on gas on bike clothes, tires, tubes, lights and other gear. Particularly clothes, once the weather starts getting cold again.

palincss
04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
-- Plan to spend as much money as you save on gas on bike clothes, tires, tubes, lights and other gear. Particularly clothes, once the weather starts getting cold again.

I don't buy any bike clothes specially for commuting. In the cold weather, I use the same longsleeve wool Ts, wool jerseys, warm tights, gloves, balaclava, etc., to commute that I do for weekend rides.

Shorts, warm weather jerseys, etc., for commuting are all handed down from weekend service. The jerseys I wear most of the time while commuting date back to the Eastern Tandem Rally at Cape Anne in 1994.

As far as tubes are concerned, I patch them. I get few flats (I had two while commuting 3,000 last year - one a small piece of glass, once a sidewall cut) and I'll patch tubes many times before replacing them. My commuting tires last me at least 3,000 miles and they cost $17 each.

My commuter: http://flickr.com/photos/97916047@N00/sets/72157603355855778/

Orin
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Lots of good advice already. I have a few things to add.

At least two rear lights - one blinky, one steady. One should have built-in reflector for the times you forget to turn it on.

Two front lights. One bike mounted, rechargeable and bright, the other battery powered for the times you forget to recharge the rechargeable. The battery powered light could be helmet mounted - something like a Princeton Tec EOS (http://www.rei.com/product/715189) would work well (there's a bike version as well that can be either helmet or handlebar mounted).

A SON generator hub with modern LED light would work well too, but I'd still use a battery backup.

Reflective stuff everywhere it will stick on the bike.

"Sam Browne" belts/sashes are great too.

If it rains, the longest fender that will fit with a FRONT mudflap to keep the water off your feet and out of the drivetrain. If the bike fits on a roof rack, the mudflap isn't long enough ;)

"Cheap" tires/wheels. Something like Michelin Dynamic 25s for tires. You are going to wear the rims out braking if it rains so don't be using expensive wheels. Traditional 32 or so spoke wheels are best as you can replace the rim if the braking surface gets concave.

Orin.

Dave B
04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Thank you for all the info, it is loads to digest. Good thing for spring break.

Here is the cool update.

My best mate and I are going to begin cross this up coming season. I had sorted out a bike and am terribly excited. My pal is unable to at the moment sort out one for himself. he was going to change over his 29er mtb and use that.

so on my local mtb forum a guy puts up his brand new Kona jake the snake.

I offer a set of wheels I have for a even swap... So I now have a cross bike to give my pal. I told him as this is something I have done before and after a few days of him thinking about it he finally confesses he doesn't want it that he will sort out something closer to the season.

So coolmo I know have a commuter. Tried to pay it forward and ended up with a relieved and grateful friend and a cool commuter with out spending a dime.

Man i love Karma

Again thanks all.