PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record vs. SRAM Red

cactusmesa
04-01-2008, 08:40 AM
I am in the process of building up a new Ottrott. At this point, can't decide if I should go Campy Record or SRAM Red. What are your thoughts and overall experience with either.

e-RICHIE
04-01-2008, 08:43 AM
i made the leapmo.
here atmo ---> XXX (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=495414&postcount=15)

Samster
04-01-2008, 09:01 AM
it will be my next group on my next bike.

i think my next bike will be my last bike.

i think my next bike will become my only (road) bike.

does anyone want to buy my other bikes? i dunno. yet.

i'm drifting... back to the point.

i've only test-ridden red. and i thought it was great. but don't own it yet.

i will be an ex-campy guy.

Dave
04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
It would be wise to ride both first, since the difference will mostly be in the feel of the shifters and brake hoods. If you like one better than the other, go with it.

I'm sticking with Campy for the time being, because I most often use a triple crank for the mountains. I can change between a compact and a triple crank without changing the FD or the chain length. There will be some changes to the ergo levers for '09.

I don't buy all Record parts for my bikes. Some of the Record parts cost a lot more with litle difference, except for a few grams of weight or cosmetics. As an entire group goes, Chorus is the better value.

I just changed out my 2003 Record (silver) brakes, which still look like new and have more than half of the original brake pad left. I chose Record again, but in black.

When it came to buying a compact crank and new FD, I chose the Chorus parts. The Record parts offer little for the extra money.

saab2000
04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I am intrigued by SRAM shifting, but little else. The rest of it is aethetically a bit lame in my eyes, though it probably works great.

dirtdigger88
04-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Jason

spiderman
04-01-2008, 09:38 AM
i'm just sayin'...
that i moved my campy record from my ottrott after 20K
to build my csi.
i then put sram red on the ottrott.
after riding each pretty hard...
i really like, and would like to love the sram red--
--but i do love the campy record.
...it's possible that it's just what i'm used to...
but then again
it could be the record is just that much better...
imho.

Scrafford
04-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I own a four year old ottrott. I swtiched to sram red from dura-ace. I love the red. The hoods are extremely comfortable. The shifting is accurate and easy. It is quick but may not be as "smooth" as the dura-ace. If you want more feedback, let me know.

Pete Serotta
04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I am in the process of building up a new Ottrott. At this point, can't decide if I should go Campy Record or SRAM Red. What are your thoughts and overall experience with either.

Personal preference, You need to try it. They all work well. Hood position, hidden cables, looks, price point, are all considerations.

I like CAMPY, SHIMANO shifts effortlessly, Hidden cables on CAMPY nice, I like the looks of CAMPY better (and that is very unsubjective :confused: :confused: )

PETE

Grant McLean
04-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Interesting Velonews article:

http://www.velonews.com/article/73404/

Aparently the Campag shifters work fine in an otherwise all Sram drivetrain.

-g

fiamme red
04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
"Campagnolo"... has a lovely ring to it, no?

"SRAM"... what an ugly name. Put it on a bike with an ugly name, like a Moots.

Clearly, Campagnolo wins. :beer:

Fixed
04-01-2008, 10:43 AM

that about sums it up
cheers

sc53
04-01-2008, 10:59 AM
How do you pronounce SRAM? I've heard "Ess-Ram" (stupid but I have heard it more than once) and "Schram" (my vote) and "Sa-Ram" (like Saran Wrap). Once I can pronounce it I might try it once my Dura Ace wears out.

Grant McLean
04-01-2008, 11:01 AM
How do you pronounce SRAM?

scram

:banana:

-g

corky
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
SPAM, SPAM, SPAM ....wonderful SPAM..... in the words of Monty Python :beer:

Waldo
04-01-2008, 11:46 AM

In Russian, "sram" means "shame" as in "shame on those who switched from Campy..." :bike:

e-RICHIE
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
In Russian, "sram" means "shame" as in "shame on those who switched from Campy..." :bike:
better to stand on solid ground atmo.

justinf
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I don't understand monogamy.

fiamme red
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't understand monogamy.Neither did Eliot Spitzer.

swoop
04-01-2008, 12:42 PM
sram is not a yiddish word. freaking cabal.

Dave
04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Interesting Velonews article:

http://www.velonews.com/article/73404/

Aparently the Campag shifters work fine in an otherwise all Sram drivetrain.

-g

Zinn must not be very picky about his shifitng and he apparently can't measure very accurately. A SRAM shifter is supposed to pull 3mm of cable per shift, if what they post on their website is accurate. That would be 27mm in total, not the 27.9mm that Zinn measured.

A Campy shifter pull 2.5mm five times, 3mm twice and 3.5mm twice, for a total of 25.5mm, not 27mm, as Zinn posted.

A J-tek shiftmate will correct the total cable pull, to an average of 2.83mm, but every pull will be the same. Still better than being 20% off location after those first five shifts.

dbrk
04-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't understand monogamy.

No one _understands_ monogamy, brother, but those who are married know well to fear the alternatives. That said, promiscuity in bicycles and bits is like Krsna and the gopis: it's where allll the fun is, especially when you get things to mix and match.

I never, ever build a bike with a whole dedicated group. I wouldn't associate with anything ---bike parts or otherwise---that didn't encourage a negotiated dissonance or espoused conformity.

I will build a mostlySRAM bike this year just to see how I like it, at least brifters and rear der.. I'm not thrilled about brifter shifting no matter whose handles I grip.

dbrk

roman meal
04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
sram would be even cooler if it were made by frenchies.

someone said it here earlier- they are the new simplex.

Climb01742
04-01-2008, 02:20 PM
has anyone here gone from force to red? is the shift quality substantially better? DA just shifts so much better, IMO, than force. does red truly narrow the gap?

justinf
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
No one _understands_ monogamy, brother, but those who are married know well to fear the alternatives. That said, promiscuity in bicycles and bits is like Krsna and the gopis: it's where allll the fun is, especially when you get things to mix and match.

couldn't have said it better.

thankfully I understand the actual stuff quite well at this point, as does my beautiful wife. :beer:

Grant McLean
04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Zinn must not be very picky about his shifitng .

I give him the benefit of the doubt, since it sounds like he's ridden it.
For the record, he says it works better than using a shimano cassette
in a campy drivetrain, which i've heard lots of folks say works fine.
So I guess he has some standard for performance.

-g

DukeHorn
04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Campy sounds elegant? Really? No, really???

1: exaggerated effeminate mannerisms
2 a: something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate, or out-of-date as to be considered amusing b: a style or mode of personal or creative expression that is absurdly exaggerated and often fuses elements of high and popular culture <a movie that celebrates camp>

Waldo
04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
better to stand on solid ground atmo.

My ground is I didn't like Rival no matter how much I fiddled with it. Particularly, lack of f. der. trim and inability to shift into smaller rear cogs more than one cog at a time the way I can with Record and Chorus. Campy is way better on those counts. Feels pretty solid 31 floors above sea level.

e-RICHIE
04-01-2008, 05:02 PM
My ground is I didn't like Rival no matter how much I fiddled with it. Particularly, lack of f. der. trim and inability to shift into smaller rear cogs more than one cog at a time the way I can with Record and Chorus. Campy is way better on those counts. Feels pretty solid 31 floors above sea level.
it was a double entendre atmo...

french for two entendres

taylorj
04-01-2008, 05:17 PM

2 a: something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate, or out-of-date as to be considered amusing b: a style or mode of personal or creative expression that is absurdly exaggerated and often fuses elements of high and popular culture <a movie that celebrates camp>

When I was in Vicenza last June at the Campagnolo Sportswear Preview, I realized that it is "American" to call Campagnolo "Campy". The Euros call it "Campa", and the folks at Campagnolo, call it Campagnolo. The point here is perhaps "Campy" does NOT sound elegent. It is Campagnolo that rings as such. And with the Ottrott, I can't imagine a finer choice. Serotta was so ahead of itself with their bikes and designs. As was Tulio Campagnolo. A fine match of elegence and technology.

-Joni "the Campa girl"

e-RICHIE
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
As was Tulio Campagnolo. A fine match of elegence and technology.

the giant needs a sharper file atmo.

http://www.campyonly.com/images/history/giant/dscn0470.jpg

taylorj
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
the giant needs a sharper file atmo.

http://www.campyonly.com/images/history/giant/dscn0470.jpg

Agreedmo!

97CSI
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
2 a: something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate, or out-of-date as to be considered amusing b: a style or mode of personal or creative expression that is absurdly exaggerated and often fuses elements of high and popular culture <a movie that celebrates camp>Not sure it is fair to make up your own definitions. Here is what the Merriam-Webster dictionary states: 1: marked by elegance <elegant clothes> <an elegant solution> 2: of a high grade or quality : splendid <elegant gems priced at hundreds of thousands of dollars>; or, from Webster's New World: 1: characterized by dignified richness and grace, as of design; 2: characterized by a sense of propriety or refinement; 3: excellent, fine, first-rate.

All of these characterize Record, Chorus and Centaur, as a minimum. And, based on the new Veloce CT (UT) crankset I just received, probably extended to Veloce, as well.

No knock on Red, but Campy Rules.

Waldo
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
it was a double entendre atmo...

french for two entendres

Eh? :confused:

e-RICHIE
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Eh? :confused:
counselor!
solid ground yo.
terra ferma

AgilisMerlin
04-01-2008, 05:58 PM
but, does the red frog make coat hangers.........

i think not :banana:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AGILISMERLIN/campag2Bpatent.jpg

Waldo
04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
counselor!
solid ground yo.
[/COLOR]

Doh! You funny. Me forgetful.

e-RICHIE
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Doh! You funny. Me forgetful.
gets it atmo.

Grant McLean
04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I realized that it is "American" to call Campagnolo "Campy". The Euros call it "Campa", and the folks at Campagnolo, call it Campagnolo.

and the British say "campeg"...

go figure :)

-g

RudAwkning
04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Not sure it is fair to make up your own definitions. Here is what the Merriam-Webster dictionary states: 1: marked by elegance <elegant clothes> <an elegant solution> 2: of a high grade or quality : splendid <elegant gems priced at hundreds of thousands of dollars>; or, from Webster's New World: 1: characterized by dignified richness and grace, as of design; 2: characterized by a sense of propriety or refinement; 3: excellent, fine, first-rate.

All of these characterize Record, Chorus and Centaur, as a minimum. And, based on the new Veloce CT (UT) crankset I just received, probably extended to Veloce, as well.

No knock on Red, but Campy Rules.

Guess your edition of the M/W dictionary may have predated the online edition :D

edit: FYI, I ride Campy on several bikes....

terrytnt
04-01-2008, 07:42 PM
In all fairness I can't speak for SRAM, but I most definitely can for Record.

My 2 year old Ottrott ST is equipped with Record and I've never looked back...

To me... it's a perfect match!!!

Simon Q
04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
In all fairness I can't speak for SRAM, but I most definitely can for Record.

My 2 year old Ottrott ST is equipped with Record and I've never looked back...

To me... it's a perfect match!!!

Yep.

If you had a funky shaped and coloured modern carbon creation Red could be there.

However, a grogeous, classic refined frame like at Ottrot deserves a refined classic looking gruppo. There is only one option.

jmc22
04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Never been a fan of Campy, always rode Dura-ace since I first started racing in the 90's.. made the switch on my Ottrott to Sram Red this past off-season & think it is the best stuff on the market, light, simple, fast/accurate shifting.. what more can you ask for in my honest opinion
Link to my bikes set-up, before & after:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=28570

catulle
04-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I ain't leapmo nuttin yet but I can see anyone and everyone leapfrogging big time as things stand with the new arrogant poops at Campa. I try to be loyal to the bitter end and it's getting pretty foul tasting already. It's been a long time, ya know... I do like red, though.

DarrenCT
04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Never been a fan of Campy, always rode Dura-ace since I first started racing in the 90's.. made the switch on my Ottrott to Sram Red this past off-season & think it is the best stuff on the market, light, simple, fast/accurate shifting.. what more can you ask for in my honest opinion
Link to my bikes set-up, before & after:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=28570

good call on switching out that saddle

roman meal
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I do like red, though.

Chairman Mao approved, you know.

M.Sommers
04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Record Vs. SRAM RED...

1). Star Wars Vs. Star Trek
2). USS Enterprise Vs. Millenium Falcon
3). 1985/86 Celtics Vs. 1991/92 Bulls
4). Kirk Vs. Piccard winner gets Indiana Jones
5). Muhammad Ali 1966 Vs. Tyson 1988
6). Lindsey Lohan in rehab Vs. Lindsey Lohan out of rehab
7). L. Ron Hubbard Vs. A lie detector
8). Fishing and catching fish with no beer on board Vs. Fishing and catching nothing with beer in hand
9). Sean Connery 1962 Vs. Daniel Craig 2007 winner gets Dirty Harry
10). Iceman at 5K feet with tone on Doc Holliday Vs. Doc Holliday with a glass of whiskey and a .41 Colt Thunderer pointed at Iceman's F-14 Tomcat

jghall
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Probably get "blasted" for this, but keep in mind it is said in love.

To Campy Snobs:

" Which came first, the insufferable attitude, or the Campy parts? "

As others have said, it's all good. Campy, Shimano, and even Sram. I have bikes with each, and they all have their strong suits.

M.Sommers
04-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Probably get "blasted" for this, but keep in mind it is said in love.

To Campy Snobs:

" Which came first, the insufferable attitude, or the Campy parts? "

As others have said, it's all good. Campy, Shimano, and even Sram. I have bikes with each, and they all have their strong suits.

If a man's Campy shifter clicks and a woman isn't there to hear it, is he still wrong?

:beer: