PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Attack Wheelset

bocarider
04-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I am looking at this wheelset for my wife’s new Legend TI:

http://www.reynoldscycling.com/index.php?p_matter=products_wheels_attack&PHPSESSID=2f329f66a7e68aca3b326ca62f3344a1

Basic criteria (in descending order of importance) are: smooth riding/comfort, durable and light. The Attacks, which are in my price range, seem to meet those criteria based on the reviews from Cycling News, Bicycling Mag, and testrider.com, all of which are posted on Reynolds’ website (which means they are going to be glowingly positive reviews). From an aesthetic point of view, they are nice looking wheels and would compliment the bike well.

My other possibility is the Ksyrium SL Premium, but I can’t seem to get really excited about that wheelset (and I don’t think my wife really cares about the coolness factor like I do – she just wants a good ride out of her wheels).

Anyone have any personal experience with either wheelset?

DarrenCT
04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
i've heard that fulcrum racing 1's or 0's are smoother than the kryiums

the attack doesnt have the dt swiss 240 hub like the other high-end reynolds wheels

ps: im no expert

97CSI
04-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Is there any reason you want an aero-profile rim for your wife? They are usually considerably stiffer than are non-aero rims like the Ksyrium. If you are looking for the best bang-for-the-buck, then the Ksyrium Elite or Equipe is a great way to go. Light and rugged. Can't comment on the Reynolds quality, but I've been on Ksyrium wheels for many years and never had one go bad with my 200 lbs.

92degrees
04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I raced 'cross on Solitudes last year which are ~100g heavier and 1/4 the price of the Attacks. They were/are great.

davyt
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I've test ridden the Attacks and they do ride well enough but that's not really their forte: I'd buy a set if I thought I wanted to ride faster. One thing I didn't like about them was the braking feel and sound but this was with the Reynolds pads and might be improved upon with a different compound.

To expound upon 97CSI's point, given your criteria I think good choices would be a nice handbuilt wheel, Campagnolo Neutrons (I ended up with the Ultra version of these) or, possibly, the Topolino C-19. There are a lot of other choices that would suit your wife but the ones I mentioned are what I'm personally familiar with. Good luck!
--
Davy

P.S. I'm even less of an expert than Darren...