PDA

View Full Version : Water bottles.

false_Aest
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey,

Maybe I worry to much but . . . .

I always suspected that the plastic smell most bottles give off wasn't good for me but now there's rumors that they leeeeeeeech bad stuff. At first I just shrugged this off but, for some reason, it's getting to me.

Anyone bothered by this? Anyone have a solution (other than stainless)¿

T

DarrenCT
03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
i have a good stock of e-richie bottles that i use.

ps: just put them in the dishwasher every couple days

maunahaole
03-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Research that some more. As I understand it it is some plastic that has the problems with that, not all. I'm fairly certain that it is the clear stuff that bottled water comes in that is the primary culprit and heat is what causes the chemical leaching.

itspeedmoore
03-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Almost all plastic bottles leach some chemicals. If you smell or taste plastic, its certainly leaching. You should never run water bottles (or anything plastic) through dishwashers, the hot water causes the plastic to break down faster. No microwaves either. I'm sure there a people that think this info is all crap, but I'm an endocrinologist and investigate some of the effects of environmental estrogens on the body. Levels of some chemicals that are 10 times below those allowed by the EPA cause frogs to grow ovo-testes!!!

Soma sells some bottles that are pretty good. I use those.

KeithS
03-31-2008, 08:37 PM
I saw a new product from Camelbak at a LBS open house a month or so ago. It is a taste/odor free, high flow rate bottle. Unique locking cap, blah, blah, blah....

I haven't seen one yet in a retail store. The rep that carried Camelbak said they were going to be in shops this season. There is info at www.camelbak.com

rpm
03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
I like the SOMA crystal bottles, which don't cause a plastic taste and are reputed not to leach. Rivendell sells them as the "water bottle of the gods". The top and nozzle and are not so great, but the bottles are good.

http://www.somafab.com/bottle.html

M.Sommers
03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
It's good for you, consuming the plastic smell. Puts hair on your chest atmo.

Big Daddy
03-31-2008, 09:02 PM
I saw a new product from Camelbak at a LBS open house a month or so ago. It is a taste/odor free, high flow rate bottle. Unique locking cap, blah, blah, blah....

I haven't seen one yet in a retail store. The rep that carried Camelbak said they were going to be in shops this season. There is info at www.camelbak.com

they are already in the shops...

Big Daddy
03-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey,

Maybe I worry to much but . . . .

I always suspected that the plastic smell most bottles give off wasn't good for me but now there's rumors that they leeeeeeeech bad stuff. At first I just shrugged this off but, for some reason, it's getting to me.

Anyone bothered by this? Anyone have a solution (other than stainless)¿

T
the air you breathe is worse than the stuff your bottles leeches. enjoy.

sleep well.

false_Aest
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
the air you breathe is worse than the stuff your bottles leeches. enjoy.

sleep well.

My other water bottle is actually a scuba tank.

M.Sommers
03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
I did buy three Elite Higene bottles for this season. They claim to fight the funk that can build up if you leave some fuel in the bottle overnight. That funk will remove the hair from your chest.

Dekonick
03-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Go stainless.

www.veloorange.com

C5 Snowboarder
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I use bottled water - a 1 liter water bottle from the good ole grocery store - it is a perfect fit , that is the round Glaceau Smart Water - Long ride I have 2 liters that way. :beer:

swoop
03-31-2008, 10:45 PM
i euthanize my bottles after about 1 or 2 months of life. i've trained the local shop to let me come in and take bottles whenever i feel like it. if i look PRO to them they assume its part of the deal.
its really having the right jedi attitude.

Grant McLean
03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Go stainless.

Stainless can leach nickel ... some people have an allergy to that

-g

Grant McLean
03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
Research that some more. As I understand it it is some plastic that has the problems with that, not all. I'm fairly certain that it is the clear stuff that bottled water comes in that is the primary culprit and heat is what causes the chemical leaching.

The current "concern" in the media with plastic is the Bishphenol-A chemical,
a potent hormone disruptor, which can be found to leach from hard plastic
(particularly #7 polycarbonate plastic). This is the stuff Nalgene bottles are
made from. The level of leaching? If you believe the plastic folks, it's 0.02
parts per billion. The FDA and Health Canada guidelines are 1000 parts per
billion is still below the level at which there is concern. So technically, there
should be no mad rush to toss out your hard plastic bottles.

Squeezy bike bottles don't have the stuff. Specialized brand bottles were
re-tested this year, don't have leaching. Camelbak has reformulated it's
rigid plastic containers to a new plastic called "triton" which does not contain BPA.

-g

RIHans
04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
When the water bottle requires a bit of freshening...EZ

1/4 teaspoon clorox, yes clorox bleach in the bottle. Fill with H2O. Let stand. Overnight works. Rince well, and...Voila...Minty fresh.

Note...1/4 teaspoon. Too much is not good in this case.

An afterthought, Clean the bottles after you ride, like your chamis, in the end , it is better.

swoop
04-01-2008, 02:16 AM
hmmmm. ignore this i posted in the wrong thread. don't let your kids hit the crack pipe like me ....