PDA

View Full Version : Quest for the right saddle.

itsflantastic
03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm after the right saddle. Haven't crossed paths with it yet.

Fizik arione was close.

Selle Italia SLC was way off the mark

Selle SMP Evolve was good sometimes, bad other times. And hey - it's pretty ugly. (I'm an aesthete sometimeS)

Terry Fly was good on my touring bike, very upright position, but not much else. Too soft.

I'm scared of Brooks after a bad experience with a B-17.

Where do I go from here?

Help... And if you have leftover worn out versions of your favorite model that I could test ride at a low $, I'd be interested.

Help me Help my buttocks be happy?!?

M.Sommers
03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Give the Fizik Arione another chance?

It's personal, but for me it's numero uno.

Louis
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Help... And if you have leftover worn out versions of your favorite model that I could test ride at a low $, I'd be interested.

In my experience worn out probably means painful. The first thing to go bad for me is the foam at the sit-bones, which goes soft. Ouch - very sharp, localized pain.

I'd stay away from worn-out.

Louis

itsflantastic
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM
good point - scratch the "worn out" bit.

Anyone find that taller guys favor one sort of saddle?
Medium height guys another?
or it is all sitbone width?

M.Sommers
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
good point - scratch the "worn out" bit.

Anyone find that taller guys favor one sort of saddle?
Medium height guys another?
or it is all sitbone width?

Horses for courses.

When I read Louis' post all I could think of was Paris Hilton.

Keith A
03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Give the Fizik Arione another chance?

It's personal, but for me it's numero uno.I'd agree with this point as it took me some trial & error with the angle of Arione before my backside was happy. I ended up with this pointing down more than any other saddle I had previously ridden.

Acotts
03-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I have really been liking what Specialized has been comming out with in the saddle department for the past couple years. (Not a Sworks fan.)

I would give them a try. If you dont like it, I will buy a Toupee off of you for a very low price.

:)

palincss
03-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm scared of Brooks after a bad experience with a B-17.

Where do I go from here?

B.17 is but one model. There are many other Brooks saddles that fit & feel quite differently. You can try one at zero risk by buying from Wallbike - you can return it for up to 6 mo. Nothing to be scared of there, atmo.

Another possibility that's getting a lot of good word of mouth amongst long distance riders is the Selle An-Atomica.

Bradford
03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
For me, Arione good, Aliante great.

mosca
03-31-2008, 05:14 PM
My favorites are the Arione and the Flites, both the classic shape and the new funky shape (the classic Flite is hard to beat, and looks good on pretty much any bike IMHO). I tend to feel more favorable towards whichever one I'm not sitting on at any given time...

And doesn't Competitive Cyclist have a multi saddle test package available? Might be worth a shot.

SoCalSteve
03-31-2008, 05:14 PM
I have really been liking what Specialized has been comming out with in the saddle department for the past couple years. (Not a Sworks fan.)

I would give them a try. If you dont like it, I will buy a Toupee off of you for a very low price.

:)

I have found of all the modern-plastic saddles I have tried so far (numerous, to say the least).. the Specialized Toupe Gel in 155 (for my big behind) has worked the best...(This is not saying that its not as comfy as a Brooks B-17), butt (pun intended) its the least "uncomfortable" of them all.

Your results may vary greatly.

Just sayin'

Steve

swoop
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
default.. go back to the classics:

try a san marco regal or strada. both notch in between flat and curved tops. both are used by comfort seeking stage racers. and both are easily found.
i know when my body changes and things get freaky i tend to go back to the strada for a few weeks if things get numb.

taints are like noses.. they all are so the same but so different. i hope your quest finds a happy ending.

don't be afraid to play with level, and a shade above or below level with the arione. don't get weird.. just have the bubble in the level touch the line and see it worlds open up for you.

roman meal
03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Swoop is correct. Selle San Marco Regal. Why make things complicated when they can be beautiful and easy at the same time? Just like Paris.

Ahem.. (cue Darren..)

itsflantastic
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm checking out some regals
This might be a good time to ask...
I think I was out of the room when the whole Darren thing started...
whaddup with that?
someone point me to the thread plz?

DarrenCT
03-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Swoop is correct. Selle San Marco Regal. Why make things complicated when they can be beautiful and easy at the same time? Just like Paris.

Ahem.. (cue Darren..)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5601/parishilton050yk6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

roman meal
03-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks.

DarrenCT
03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm checking out some regals
This might be a good time to ask...
I think I was out of the room when the whole Darren thing started...
whaddup with that?
someone point me to the thread plz?

its top sekret information

itsflantastic
03-31-2008, 05:47 PM
personally, I don't think she is that pretty.

DarrenCT- I really just want to know what this means!!
"Ow, what the Ow..Darren, stop that,..Ow"

but I guess I can just sit here in the dark.

Anyway, back to saddles.

Jeff Weir
03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
DarrenCT lives a fantasy life....his own. He keeps a lifesize cardboard cutout of Paris Hilton on the passenger seat of his car (Yugo).
He thinks it's cool.
We all know better, but he's happy.

davids
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
...can we get back to discussing things worth sitting on for hours at a time?

thanks

Arione works best for me, the least uncomfortable saddle I've ever tried. Regals are nearly as good, but I get some unpleasant rubbing after a while. Flites are a form of torture.

All which goes to someone else's point - Comfort 'round those parts doesn't get more personal. CC's program is about the best solution I've seen, and it's not cheap. But trial and error is the only path, atmo.

benb
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Make sure you're sitting on the saddle straight.. sounds funny but it's not so ridiculous.

I was sitting crooked last year.. couldn't find a saddle that worked. Now that I'm not just about anything I try in the right width feels great.

DarrenCT
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
DarrenCT lives a fantasy life....his own. He keeps a lifesize cardboard cutout of Paris Hilton on the passenger seat of his car (Yugo).
He thinks it's cool.
We all know better, but he's happy.

meet u at beamers later. i'll be in the backroom playing pool with the strippers

pdmtong
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
may be obvious but make sure that you level the forward half of the saddle, since as you move rearward the shape of this model slopes upward

wasfast
03-31-2008, 06:12 PM
You can't buy a saddle by the numbers but you can get closer. Getting you sits bones measured (such as with the Specialized foam gizmo) will at least tell you whether the 135mm, 145mm or 155mm widths are in the ballpark. If you have wide bones and sit on one of the very common racing saddles, you'll definitely know it.

Note that the Regal is a very wide saddle. The Arione is much narrower. The "extra" length about the Arione is also munk. The longer portion is the point on the rear of the saddle. If you put most saddles upside down on a Arione that's on a bike, compare the tip of the saddle to the flare, it's no different.

Side views of saddles show flat saddles (like the Arione) and curved (concave) saddles like the Regal, Aliante etc.

Viewing from the back, you'll also notice flat vs convex.

dekindy
03-31-2008, 06:19 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/demo-saddle

http://www.cbike.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=784

Selle Italia has an LBS demo program.

Have you really searched all the forums and read all the reviews discussing the best positions and various adjustments for each saddle you have tried? I have the Fizik Aliante and a couple degrees and a few millimeters can mean the differance between nirvana and wanting to look for a new saddle.

I searched the Serotta and Bikeforums.net websites and read a lot of saddle reviews on Roadbikereview before I determined the best strategy with the Aliante. And it worked. I now have an all day position.

It also helps to read about the saddles that people like and see if they mention the ones that they did not like or tried. Maybe they will have tried the same saddles you did before finding their match.

You cannot be so unique that one of the saddles you have already tried would not work, can you? IMHO people like yourself that try so many saddles and finally find one they like just happen upon a good position with that particular saddle. They could have probably found a good position with the other saddles done more experimenting and given them more time.

Sometimes it is not the saddle at all, but your fit on the bike. Have you tried a professional fitting? Even after a fitting I still had to do more searching and reading before I got the Aliante dialed in.

Good luck. Not trying to be judgmental. Just want you to take a good hard look at the situation. I was almost ready to try a new saddle this Spring until I got the level out and realized that when they switched the components to my new frame they did not angle the saddle correctly. I spent about 30-45 minutes and got it where it needed to be. I immediately quit looking at saddles. This is why I am so well informed on demo programs.

You can also try more expensive shorts if you are buying cheap ones. The more expensive shorts have thinner, more comfortable chamois that are worth the higher price.

itsflantastic
03-31-2008, 06:30 PM
IMHO people like yourself that try so many saddles and finally find one they like just happen upon a good position with that particular saddle. They could have probably found a good position with the other saddles done more experimenting and given them more time.

I road across all of North America on a B17
I raced 2 seasons on an Arione
I road most of the east coast on the Terry Fly and commuted on it
I raced 1 season on the Selle Smp.

I was pretty comfortable through all of this.

I'm not sitting here in excrutiating pain. Every saddle worked for me just fine.
But, that sad, I had my issues with every saddle too.
I've also had a "professional" fit. But it was lame.
So I had another, that worked out pretty well.

All I'm saying is, the saddle I was most comfy on was the Arione. It was set up properly too. But before I drop cash on another one, I'm just weighing all of the possibilities because cash is tight for me, and I really want to get the saddle thing right this time. Take Agilis Merlin for example, who hoards Selle Italia Flites.

I would never hoard any of the saddles i've tried, but I want to have that sort of devotion and love for one. That would mean my butt is happy.

As for being THAT unique, I do have a third butt cheek. Wait, does that matter? :p

Mr. Butterworth
03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Selle SMP. Single most significant upgrade to my bike in a long time.

regularguy412
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
I think you should actually measure all the saddles you've tried, just so you know what widths have 'kind of' worked and not worked at all. Measure each saddle across the widest portion. Granted, there are so many individual shapes that width alone will not be a final determinant. However, width is can at least be one, true, dimension that you can carry from saddle to saddle for comparison.

For me, personally, I have found that my sit bones combined with my position on the bike cause me to prefer a saddle that is basically flat (no dip front to back) and one that is approx 127 mm wide. Your sit bones angle in toward the front, so if your hips have a more rolled-forward position, you might prefer a narrower saddle. If you sit more upright,, you might want a slightly wider saddle. The San Marco Rolls is a moderately wide saddle. The Selle Italia SLK is a fairly narrow saddle. The Rolls is not 'flat' across the top. The SLK is almost completely flat across the top. Look at your previously tried saddles and note the subtle differences.

You may also have some leg length, or other, anatomical discrepancies that you need to address. This was my case and I now have practically no saddle sore or bruising issues.

Mike in AR:beer:

profkrispy
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
http://www.sellesanmarco.com/en/wp-content/product_images/magmamg_regular.jpg

I'm having good luck with this one at the moment. I don't know that I'd want to spend all day on it but, as long as I think of it as more of a perch as opposed to a seat, it works great. Wish it tapered a little more in the very nose as the corners are a bit abrupt. Overall, however, I like it better than the Arione.

MilanoTom
03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
The Regal is hard to beat. For a few years, they were also available with a Pirelli suspension (not labeled as Regal, but the same shape, including the rivets, and a slightly firmer shell). I switched all my bikes from Turbomatics to Regals a couple of years ago and don't see myself switching to anything else any time soon.

Regards.
Tom

Fat Robert
03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
another vote for the regal

question about levelling it, though...i find i'm more comfy when i level it with the level ending just before the rivets...the riveted back slopes up like a curb...so if you level it with the level on that back edge, the nose is pointing upwards....

i might try the rolls...the cup in the middle of the regal bugs me, sometimes...never tried an aliante, but i'm tempted

roman meal
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
I save Regals. Not the old ones. I sold the older ones on ebay to buy the newer ones, with the ti rails. They're fine for me.

Go to competitivecyclist and do the demo program with a Regal, or other like traditional saddle. Then buy it, and stock up on more later, because you know they are going to change the sucker eventually, and you'll be s.o.l.

plus one on what Fat Robert said about leveling the sucka.

Fivethumbs
03-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I am riding the Specialized Alias in 155mm. I also have a Koobi AU Enduro that worked well for me too. I have experienced no pain or numbness with either of these saddles. Also, both of these companies allow you to try the saddle and if it does not work you can return it. I first rode a 143mm Alias on a 40 mile ride and I was in pain with about 15 miles to the end of the ride. I returned it for the 155mm and have been happy ever since.

fmbp
03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Chalk me up in the category of people for whom the Arione works, I've got one on my road bike. I've got a Fizik Gobi on my cross bike, and that also works pretty well. I have SSM Rolls saddles on both my commuter and fixies, and they also work well for me. I put a little time in on an Aliante, and found that to be comfortable.

Selle Italia Flites = saddle sores for me. Selle Italia Trimatic was no friend of my bum. Koobi Xenon was a torture device.

Just the experience of one butt. YMMV.

KeithS
03-31-2008, 07:28 PM
I have been thinking about a Regal, I think my vacillation is over. Three endorsements in a row from smart guys like Milano, Full Figured Robert and Roman clinched it. I was just looking recently and e-richie has a good price on them on his web site.

I tried the Toupe, no amount of tweaking could make it comfortable, I put about 200 miles before I had to give up. A friend of mine bought one about the same time and he says it's the best saddle he's ever ridden. Go figure. Saddles are as others have noted the most personal of things. So if anyone has an interest in a red trimmed Toupe - PM me and I'm sure we can work something out. It does look nice hanging in the shrine of unused saddles in my garage though.

I am currently riding a butt ugly Koobi that I've had for a few years. The aesthetic isn't much but it sure is comfy...

jchasse
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
it often seems to me that there must be some way so set up a sort of forum sample saddle pool for people to try. i've just never figured out how the details would work.

i'm one of those guys who is still searching for that perfect fit, and i've been through more saddles than i can shake a stick at.

so, back to the OP, i'll take inventory and let you know what i've got still lying around. if you are interested in any of them, let me know. we'll make a deal. :cool:

Fat Robert
03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
it often seems to me that there must be some way so set up a sort of forum sample saddle pool for people to try.

i've got some unique "bacon" saddles from one of those nude group ride things

R2D2
03-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Saddles are so personal.
Brooks Pro may work a lot better than a B17 as it is a little narrower.
I ride a Swallow on long rides but have been irritated by the little rivets at times. Angle and tension are tricky Brooks.
Aliante is a great sadlle once it is dialed in.
Regal or Rolls are good places to start.
The only Selle Italia I ever liked is the old Turbo. Especially the Hinualt model covered in bufalo hide.

DarrenCT
03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
aliante works well for me although i could pretty much ride anything 'cept those gay spm or smp saddles just cuz they look stupid

ps: its official beer drinking night. down a cold beer soonmo

mosca
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
I've got a Regal on my fixed gear, but I can't seem to like it, which sucks because it looks so dang cool. Maybe if I fiddle with the angle, I can remain uber-hip...

Now I'm off to have a beer, but only because Darren insisted. :beer:

flickwet
03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Got regals on three bikes and a swift on the Colorado, Regal is the most comfy for me but I am real sensitive to tilt needs to be on the level or even a hair down,nose up at all and no good, swift is awsome cool looking and super comfy but I second the rivets thing. E-richie does have the goods if ya cant swing a frame at least a seat delivered up with atmo.

rpm
03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
When Turbomatics disappeared from the Selle Italia lineup, I switched to Regals and have found them to be the saddle for me. Ditto for the suggestion to level them without the upsweep in the back.

swoop
03-31-2008, 10:14 PM
for the right price and if you say please... brendan from cc will come out and you can sit on him and if you don't like.... he'll send the employee of your picking.

the guy is that cutting edge.

SoCalSteve
03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
for the right price and if you say please... brendan from cc will come out and you can sit on him and if you don't like.... he'll send the employee of your picking.

the guy is that cutting edge.

Now thats a great deal!!!

Where do I sign up????

Steve

huey
03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
have you tried a specialized phenom? this is very much like a toupe, but the shell is not as flexy. i rode a toupe for a month or so and it was great, but became flexy. the phenom is a firmer saddle and doesn't sag as much, if you are a heavier rider 200lbs plus.

i've used a slr (great), turbomatic 4 (horrible), toupe (so-so), aliante (too much of a hammock), phenom (undecided yet, but so far so good), and an arionne (have it on 2 out of 3 bikes).

as others have stated the angle on the aironne is the key. millimeters make a huge difference.

i want to try a regal, but haven't yet.

thwart
03-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Hey, my bottom liked 70 miles yesterday on a Fizik Aliante Sport. Which, this early in the season, says a lot. Not pricey or super-light, but sweet nevertheless.

Half as many miles the day before on an Arione... that was plenty, thank you.

But, of course, different strokes...

jeffg
03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
default.. go back to the classics:

try a san marco regal or strada. both notch in between flat and curved tops. both are used by comfort seeking stage racers. and both are easily found.
i know when my body changes and things get freaky i tend to go back to the strada for a few weeks if things get numb.

taints are like noses.. they all are so the same but so different. i hope your quest finds a happy ending.

don't be afraid to play with level, and a shade above or below level with the arione. don't get weird.. just have the bubble in the level touch the line and see it worlds open up for you.

My all time favorite is the Selle San Marco Era, which I understand has been discontinued :crap: :crap: :crap:

I wonder if that Zoncolan is any good, or whether I should scour the earth for more Eras and horde them ...

saab2000
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Look no further. Beyotch. But if you do, look at a Rolls. They are not bad either, especially if heavily broken in.

After 4+ hours on the bike you will not be thinking about that 122 grams you saved on your saddle. But you will be thinking about how agonising it is to sit down on some POS over the bumps, etc. A good saddle that works is priceless. A spendy, light one that doesn't is worthless.

huey
04-01-2008, 12:55 AM
saab,

every day you get closer to my heart. it's great!

velotel
04-01-2008, 02:17 AM
I put one of these on my Eriksen last year; for me it's great. There's a weight penalty compared to the super light saddles available so if weight is a potential problem for you, it's not the saddle to get. But if all day comfort is what you're looking for, this would be my call for you.

bw77
04-01-2008, 05:25 AM
I used a Terry Fly for maybe 2 seasons, then it got too soft. I then tried a Koobi Silver, it was firmer than the Fly, but similar in shape. 5 years later, I am still on the Koobi, and have no problems with it. Koobi may still have a 30 day return policy, so you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

MilanoTom
04-01-2008, 05:37 AM
I have been thinking about a Regal, I think my vacillation is over. Three endorsements in a row from smart guys like Milano, Full Figured Robert and Roman clinched it. I was just looking recently and e-richie has a good price on them on his web site.

Thanks for the compliment.

If you buy one of e-Richie's and don't like it, let me know and we can make a deal to take if off your hands. I've got bikes (including one of his red ones) that'll match all the colors he sells.

Tom

dekindy
04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I road across all of North America on a B17
I raced 2 seasons on an Arione
I road most of the east coast on the Terry Fly and commuted on it
I raced 1 season on the Selle Smp.

I was pretty comfortable through all of this.

I'm not sitting here in excrutiating pain. Every saddle worked for me just fine.
But, that sad, I had my issues with every saddle too.
I've also had a "professional" fit. But it was lame.
So I had another, that worked out pretty well.

All I'm saying is, the saddle I was most comfy on was the Arione. It was set up properly too. But before I drop cash on another one, I'm just weighing all of the possibilities because cash is tight for me, and I really want to get the saddle thing right this time. Take Agilis Merlin for example, who hoards Selle Italia Flites.

I would never hoard any of the saddles i've tried, but I want to have that sort of devotion and love for one. That would mean my butt is happy.

As for being THAT unique, I do have a third butt cheek. Wait, does that matter? :p

Why didn't you say so in the first place? In this case I would have no relevant comments.

jmeloy
04-01-2008, 09:36 AM
in Germany on biz and called home to learn that my new blue regal from e-richie arrived. had wife open it and learned there was booty included! a water bottle (or maybe a bong) and a couple of pins..... maybe an atmo pin??

HSG Racer
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
As others have said, don't give up on the Arione. Try this experiment - tilt the front of the saddle down about 5 to 10 degrees from horizontal as this has worked for many to reduce lower back pain. Also try the Fizik Aliante if you haven't already done so.

I would stay away from any cutout or gel saddles as they only make it worse. I have also found that round saddles are more comfortable than the wide flat saddles. Good Luck.