PDA

View Full Version : Input for WV mtn bike trip

BURCH
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I have already done some research, but I am just seeing if there are any good recommendations that I might have missed. I am meeting up with my single track buddies for our annual trip. We are doing WV this spring. We were thinking about hitting up the Slatyfork and Monongahela National Forest (Tea Creek Trail, Prop's Run..etc.). An area no one has been too.

Looking for anyone who has ridden some of the trails in this area and if anyone has stayed at Elk River Touring Center (www.ertc.com). Please give some reviews or input if you have. The reviews online are a little mixed.

Also, are there any good pubs or places to eat in these areas or should we just plan on heading to snowshoe for that type of a treat?

Note: We tend to be more toward the XC side of mtn biking, but are all technically sound with roots/rocks/descents...etc. And we enjoy Epic rides.

Thanks in advance...

Neves
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Burch

You have to check out Davis and the Canaan valley area. This is by far my favorite place to ride...a good place to start is Black Water Bikes http://www.blackwaterbikes.com/ . Roger is the owner there, he's a real good guy. I don't know your skill level, but there's more rocks there then anything...and hopefully it's not to wet. One thing, every time I've been there I have had a personal guide. Some of the trails are marked good and some aren't. That's the difference between Davis and Snowshoe.

If you want a no frills riding destination this is it.

BURCH
03-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Burch

You have to check out Davis and the Canaan valley area. This is by far my favorite place to ride...a good place to start is Black Water Bikes http://www.blackwaterbikes.com/ . Roger is the owner there, he's a real good guy. I don't know your skill level, but there's more rocks there then anything...and hopefully it's not to wet. One thing, every time I've been there I have had a personal guide. Some of the trails are marked good and some aren't. That's the difference between Davis and Snowshoe.

If you want a no frills riding destination this is it.

Thanks for the input. I will check it out.

smudgecycles
04-01-2008, 06:40 AM
I have already done some research, but I am just seeing if there are any good recommendations that I might have missed. I am meeting up with my single track buddies for our annual trip. We are doing WV this spring. We were thinking about hitting up the Slatyfork and Monongahela National Forest (Tea Creek Trail, Prop's Run..etc.). An area no one has been too.

Looking for anyone who has ridden some of the trails in this area and if anyone has stayed at Elk River Touring Center (www.ertc.com). Please give some reviews or input if you have. The reviews online are a little mixed.

Also, are there any good pubs or places to eat in these areas or should we just plan on heading to snowshoe for that type of a treat?

Note: We tend to be more toward the XC side of mtn biking, but are all technically sound with roots/rocks/descents...etc. And we enjoy Epic rides.

Thanks in advance...

I've never stayed at ERTC but I've hung out there a lot and have to say that Gil and Mary are good people (busy, but good). Buy maps, pack snacks and take extra water.

*disclaimer* - I haven't been out there for nealy ten years and I'm sure some of the trails have changed. Take this with a grain or two of salt.

Prop's Run is overrated as a standalone trail unless you're after the novelty of a long downhill. A long portion of that trail is routed through a stream. If you're dead set on doing this in the spring, bring fenders. It's a nice way to end a ride though...If you ride from ERTC climb FR24? (I'm going purely from a poor memory, it may not be 24), ride the Tea Creek/Bear Pen trails then come back down Props run. It'll be a long day and IIRC when I rode from my campsite, the ride was upwards of 35miles.

I liked Bear Pen quite a bit. Red Run was also fantastic if you're up for some tech challenge and if you're too tired for a big ride there used to be some fun swoopy trails between the ERTC and FR24.

The only other thing I can say with certainty is that the descriptions that were in my guide book seriously overrated the difficulty of the trails. Don't let the descriptions scare you away from anything, odds are good that if you're technically competent the trails won't be a big deal.

If you get a clear night, drive up to the clearing about a mile before the entrance of Prop's. I was lucky enough to watch a meteor shower during a new moon from up there and I'll never forget it.

sc53
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I stayed at Elk River Touring Center two years ago and loved it. Great innkeepers, really nice room, excellent food in the dining room. They have tons of maps and guides for local trails. If you go to Elk River, you will be a few hours' drive away from Davis and Canaan Valley; they are really two separate trips unless you will be more than a week in WVa and don't mind driving.