PDA

View Full Version : Contador, a class act

Steelhead
03-31-2008, 01:51 PM
It must be tough to not be allowed into the TdF this year to defend, and this is a pretty classy statement from Alberto:

Contador Not Leaving Astana
Astana Cycling Team rider Alberto Contador received his final burgundy jersey today as he successfully defended his overall title at the 23rd Vuelta a Castilla y Leon. Enjoying a successful week of racing in his native country, the popular Spanish rider controlled the race from start to finish in a powerful display of determination and teamwork.

After the race, the Madrilene rider, was so grateful to his team-mates. "Without them, it would have been impossible. I may have been the best in the time trial and in the queen stage, without the support of my team, it would have been impossible to control the race. Thank you Benjamin, Sergio, Chechu, Daniel, Chris, Levi and Andreas. Thank you Sean Yates for all right decisions this week. It must be clear: I will not ride the Tour the France in another team than this one. I hope there comes an end now to all speculations and rumours that I will go to another team in order to participate to the Tour the France. No, I stay with my friends and sponsors who showed already to stay behind me. This week, we proved again that Astana Cycling Team is not only a strong team, but a group of friends as well." -- from Pez

pdxmech13
03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Classy maybe but he knows were his bread is buttered jmoh.

MilanoTom
03-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Classy maybe but he knows were his bread is buttered jmoh.

Agreed, however that is a trait that seems to be lacking in many.

Tom

brians647
03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Agreed, however that is a trait that seems to be lacking in many.

Tom

+1. Too rare.

CarbonCycles
03-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Def a class act and wish we'd see more examples like this :beer:

Steve Hampsten
03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
he's young, he's getting paid pots of money and won't have to ride the tour, and so far has avoided getting sucked into puerto (making him the first as yet untainted winner since 1990 or so) - hardly nobel prize winner stuff in my book

ymmv

e-RICHIE
03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
he's young, he's getting paid pots of money and won't have to ride the tour, and so far has avoided getting sucked into puerto (making him the first as yet untainted winner since 1990 or so) - hardly nobel prize winner stuff in my book

ymmv
Hampcopedia 13.2 atmo -

Steelhead
03-31-2008, 04:39 PM

ymmv

maybe he just has a good PR person..... :confused: I just thought it was nice to hear, whether or not it is sincere or what is behind it may be another question.

Big Daddy
03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Dude has a plate in his head...he reads what is put in front of him. Races where he is told to race, and takes vitamins when given to him.

e-RICHIE
03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Dude has a plate in his head...he reads what is put in front of him. Races where he is told to race, and takes vitamins when given to him.
iow - he's a pro atmo.

coylifut
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
since there's no way for me to sort out who's tainted or not, I'll agree with Milano Tom.

rustychisel
03-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Having seen him race (TDU a couple of years ago) I have mixed feelings about Contador. He's classy in a number of ways, but his advisors often seem to dwell on the smelly side of the street. This was the right response - and good PR - but that was only ever a 50/50 deal.

Big Daddy
03-31-2008, 07:19 PM
iow - he's a pro atmo.

very NASCAR

Fat Robert
03-31-2008, 07:51 PM
if your two DSs have been Saiz and Bruyneel, you are not a class act

you know how to put the bread on the table, keep your mouth shut, and you know on what side that bread is buttered

so yeah, he's a mensch (who may or may not have had uber-mensch blood values at any time in his past)

Steelhead
04-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I knew I should have put a question mark in the thread title. :crap:

Charles M
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I knew I should have put a question mark in the thread title. :crap:

why?

You thought it classy and said so. Lot tougher to stand up and stand by someone than just take the easy implied piss these days ;)

Nick H.
04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I can't believe any of you believes that Contadoper is clean. Have you been living under a rock for a year? And the idea that anything said in a press release is 'classy'...

Wait, is this a retarded April Fool?