PDA

View Full Version : 1" threadless carbon fork: shim to 1 1/8" OK?

jh_on_the_cape
03-31-2008, 10:26 AM
I am generally a mtn biker.
I am converting my road bike from 1" threaded to threadless. Easton Carbon fork from a classified ad here.
I need a new stem, and find that many include a shim to go from 1 1/8" down to 1". is there any drawback to doing this? strength? weight? looks?
1" threadless stems are not as readily available, and some of the new stuff, like easton stems, are no longer even available in 1".

Also, my bars are 26.0. Is it available/recommended to shim a 31.8 stem down to 26.0? I have to pull the tape off of at least 1 side of my bars to get them off of the old stem... maybe get new bars, too? They are cinelli aluminum bars. nothing wrong with them.

thanks in advance!

konstantkarma
03-31-2008, 10:53 AM
I asked the same question here a while ago. It seem s that it is pretty common to shim a 1" carbon steerer to 1-1/8".

Here is a link to that thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=40857

Tobias
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Also, my bars are 26.0. Is it available/recommended to shim a 31.8 stem down to 26.0? I have to pull the tape off of at least 1 side of my bars to get them off of the old stem... maybe get new bars, too? They are cinelli aluminum bars. nothing wrong with them.

thanks in advance!I recently replaced the stem on one bike (to raise bars) and decided to replace the bars with 31.8 clamp size to match the new stem. I think the 26 MM will soon be as obsolete as the 1-inch steerer. The bike shop did have adaptors for 31.8 stem to 26 bars, but as I said, I went ahead and replaced both (bars were a few years old and I wanted wider and stiffer bars anyway).

By the way, the stem came with an aluminum shim which allows adjusting the angle a few degrees. I like that feature although it makes the stem a little bigger-looking than it needs to be. I'm just saying shims must be OK when used properly.

dvs cycles
03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
I am generally a mtn biker.
I am converting my road bike from 1" threaded to threadless. Easton Carbon fork from a classified ad here.
I need a new stem, and find that many include a shim to go from 1 1/8" down to 1". is there any drawback to doing this? strength? weight? looks?
1" threadless stems are not as readily available, and some of the new stuff, like easton stems, are no longer even available in 1".

thanks in advance!
Every Ritchey I've bought has came with a shim just for this purpose.
I've got around 40000 miles on the one I have now on an Ouzo Pro fork.