PDA

View Full Version : OT - home ear ache cures, a survey

Ginger
03-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Monday entertainment...

I have pain in both ears...it started up in a serious manner Friday, progressed Saturday, and became really painful yesterday.
Claritin D didn't touch this...So...yes they're probably infected and yes I have an appointment with both my internist AND my allergist later today. So I'll get an official diagnosis and treatment with the heavy guns.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I was trying every Old Wives Tale I've heard of for getting rid of an ear infection/earache to see if I can ease the pain, or miracle of miracles, make it go away.

First up was the hot pepper caspian and honey followed by a glass of cold water and a breathing exercise...my sinuses are clear as a bell now, but they were clear before...so...other than giving me a funny taste in my mouth...nope. I still feel like I'm in the bottom of a barrel. I can hear fine, I just feel like I have cotton behind my ear drums.

Salt water rinse...no change.

Sweet oil...no dice...

Next was heated salt in a bag...probably got all the wax to drain...plus I put a few drops of lavender oil on it. The heat felt good, I was able to nap...but my head is still full of cotton...(yeah, I know...it shows)

Next up was freshly cut garlic clove (in gauze) in the ear... Yeah...I know...sounds lovely and now my bedroom reeks of fresh garlic...ugh.
I wasn't looking forward to this because while it's supposed to work (for some people) it also is supposed to burn a bit (which makes total sense) This actually didn't burn, and worked a bit. My ears felt better for a while and stuff started to drain in a more meaningful manner...and I could finally fall asleep...but I woke up this morning still in pain.

So...the forum is always good for treatments I haven't heard of before: Ya got any good home remedy ear ache cures?

Karin Kirk
03-31-2008, 09:39 AM
whiskey?

William
03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
It probably won't cure you, but it will make you feel better.

Put a folded towel in the oven on very low heat for about 5 minutes or so. Take it out and fold it up and lay down on the couch or the bed and place your head on it...acheing side down. Straight out of a hot dryer will probably work too.

William

Ginger
03-31-2008, 09:59 AM
whiskey?
Gluten free vodka...the quicker pain reliever.

93legendti
03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Hot Compresses on the forehead?
Afrin?
Mucinex?
I know they aren't home remedies per se, but who likes ear pain?

If your sinuses are clear/not blocked do a Sinus Rinse twice a day.

M.Sommers
03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
My vote is for pure tea tree oil. I use it for lots of skin cuts, infections etc. See # 30 and 32:

http://www.teatreeoiluses.com/tea-tree-oil-uses-human.htm

Also, grapefruit seed extract:

http://www.pureliquidgold.com/health.htm#Ear

Nature's antibiotics (atmo). Good luck.