PDA

View Full Version : I ride for FUN nowadays

Smiley
03-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Last year we placed our Precision 21 (sailboat for you not in the know) in hands of family to be able to do more cycling. I just turned 56 this year and have been in a mental "phase in" of just riding for the sake of the ride. No more training no more searching for speed or endurance etc. Just riding for the fun of it. Make no mistake I am still in great shape for someone my age but its at this point in my life that I know there will always be somebody that will be able to kick my a** on a ride and someone that I will kick their a** on a ride. So I have moved my mind set to riding for the fun of it. Still like to push myself on hills and doing challenging fixed gear rides etc but its now "about the ride" and more important about the camraderie that I share with those that I ride with.
I love riding and I love doing a favorite ride of another fellow cyclist since we all have what we know are our special courses that we like to share with others. I am so blessed with having such nice bikes to ride and the friendships I have made through the sport of cycling. I will be at the Ramble and if Serotta ever gets its act together at what ever Open House they chose to have. See you all on the road someday soon. Your fellow forumite clone :)

barry1021
03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Smiley, thx. I have sold several bikes with computers on them and I never got around to putting them on the replacements--I too, turn 56 this year and its about maximum enjoyment.

b21

Kevan
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42919

Did two club rides this weekend for about 80 miles of riding in total and I felt that i took too much time away from the family. I also felt like hell getting up over each bump. Good thing was...I wasn't alone.

Z3c
03-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Smiley,

Congrat's on reaching a great place.

Scott

BURCH
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Nothing like a joy ride...

I love when I can sneak in an extra ride that I don't consider to be "training". Like if I ride in the morning and then decide to head to the grocery store that evening on the bike. That grocery run will be a lot more enjoyable. It would be nice to always ride like that, but I still have that internal pressure making the ride a little more work than it should be.

sg8357
03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Can I get an Amen, sisters and brothers.....

http://cyclescribe.blogspot.com/2007/11/in-training.html

WadePatton
03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
If it rains for two days solid before my next atb race--I'll _not_ ride for the fun of it. :rolleyes: (Thas what happened this weekend). Instead we'll go swimming and have a remove the contents from this bottle/can exercise.

But OTOH, if I didn't train and go to races I'd rarely ever see any other riders. So that makes me a social racer. :banana:

jeffg
03-31-2008, 09:07 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=42919

Did two club rides this weekend for about 80 miles of riding in total and I felt that i took too much time away from the family. I also felt like hell getting up over each bump. Good thing was...I wasn't alone.

I hear you.

I had ambitions of really training this year. Too much work and not enough family time has me ditching that.

I made it home early today with enough daylight for a ride ... the boys asked for a goodnight story and that was that

bironi
03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Same age, same attitude. :beer:

zap
04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
OK, when is superspeedysnappysnazzysandy coming out.

Oh, about smiley. I remember :) when he was a young st.......lad riding a Trek and all giddy about getting the Serotta gig.

OK, back to snappysandy

Sandy.

Ready to ride.

:banana:

Ti Designs
04-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I save money for when I go on vacation, it's more fun when you don't have to worry about what you're spending.

I do intervals on a trainer in a dark basement when it's cold, it's more fun being fast when it's nice out.

I ride for fun.

Pete Serotta
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I ride for fun and red....... :beer:

I want to be riding with SMILEY......PETE