PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cell phone advice please

Bruce K
03-31-2008, 06:14 AM
So after deleting todays pile of cell phone spam it got me thinking....

I am finally on the verge of buying an ipod or similar music device and simultaneously my cell phone (Motorola RAZR) is starting to tick me off. Battery life is fading and the cost to replace just the battery is almost the same as the phone.

So, my son (college age of course) thinks I should get an iphone. His thinking is that it would give me a new phone, replace my Palm PDA, and give me an ipod all in one.

On the one hand, this seems like a reasonable solution as the cost of a new phone plus the ipod starts approaching the cost of the iphone but this would also require getting a new docking station for my car. On the other hand, the RAZR has been good to me and if I just replaced my exact model the car cradle would still work. Any other model of RAZR would also require a new docking station as well.

The word I got from the AT&T cell phone store is that they are expecting a 32g version of the iphone and therefore expect the 8g to go away and the price on the 16g to drop.

Can anyone give me their pluses or minuses on their iphones or real suggestions?

I would also pick up a waterproof case for when it's in my jersey pocket (there, now it's cycling related :rolleyes: :D )

Thanks,

BK

Ginger
03-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Where do you normally carry your phone when it's on your person (other than riding)? I only ask because if you carry your phone in your pocket rather than a holster clip, you might consider a hard case for the iphone as well.

Ray
03-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Having owned a Razr and checked out Iphones, the big downside to the Iphone is that its a lot bigger and heavier. The Razr disappears in my pants pocket, shirt pocket, or jersey pocket when I ride. The Iphone wouldn't. I'm sure it will get smaller and lighter, but for now, its pretty notably bigger and heavier.

I'd also think about whether you really want to combine all of those functions. My current cell phone (a very tiny and light Samsung - smaller and lighter than the razr) has a music player in it, but I never use it because its a pain to deal with the transition between listening to music and answering a call when it comes in. And using it as a music player eats battery life for lunch - I could see killing the battery listening to music and having the thing die in the middle of an important call. I'd sort of like to have my Palm PDA functions within a phone, but I'd still want a separate music player, which I carry a lot less often than my phone. Every now and then I think it would be nice to have web access in my phone too, but not often enough to make the extra weight and size worthwhile.

If you really want all of those functions in one place, the Iphone is a really slick piece of engineering. I'm really attracted to it just for the cool gadget factor. But for me, the downsides ultimately outweigh (literally and figuratively) the upsides. Ultimately, I'd probably want a very small and light phone to carry all the time and a separate device that handled music and PDA functions that I'd carry sometimes but far less than the phone. Your needs and wants will certainly vary.

-Ray

Ti Designs
03-31-2008, 07:30 AM
Bruce,

I have to warn you that the Iphone can suck your thought waves out your eye sockets if you let it. Things have gone from simple one button = one function to a complex user interface which requires both thought on your end and it's (that's called running software). Not such a problem with a computer that you're sitting in front of (unless it crashes all the time) but if you look around you'll notice there's a whole generation of gadget users who are sucked into the interface and have no idea where they really are. If you get one, use it for what it's good for. I don't want to hear that you were one of the people who asked "where's my Iphone" as you're getting carted away to the hospital 'cause you got hit by a pack of cross racers.

Birddog
03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
I just bought a Samsung Sync (707). I'm totally happy with it. It has way more features than I can use for now and also has MP3 capabilities. I liked the giant number display the bestest. The wife has the Razr and she's jealous.

Birddog

saab2000
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
The iPhone will be getting a whole lot better in a few months. There are some major software upgrades on the short term horizon (June or so - check Apple.com) that will really make it more competitive as a business tool and not just as a toy.

I really want an iPhone, but am also waiting. I want one so I can check the weather before flights. Seriously. Just like in that dumb commercial. Otherwise I would just get an iPod Touch.

KeithS
03-31-2008, 08:05 AM
I just bought my first Blackberry. It leads to distraction. Has GPS/email/phone/text. I used to get on my bike (or in the car) to get away, now there is no away. The only thing about the iPhone is the lack of business applications, the BBerry is sophisticated in its integration. If I didn't need that, I would have an iPhone in a minute. The Razr is the worst phone I ever owned, power issues within the first couple of weeks. Samsung has done a superb job with the user interface.

Not a music guy but when I get in the mood I do borrow my daughters ipod.

J.Greene
03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
I took a similar path that the op is taking. I went from a cell phone to a blackberry pearl. When the pearl gets a bit more used I'll switch to an Iphone. I do worry about durability. I carry my phone all the time and I;m very tough on them. The blackberry has been bomb proof.

JG

The iPhone will be getting a whole lot better in a few months. There are some major software upgrades on the short term horizon (June or so - check Apple.com) that will really make it more competitive as a business tool and not just as a toy.

I really want an iPhone, but am also waiting. I want one so I can check the weather before flights. Seriously. Just like in that dumb commercial. Otherwise I would just get an iPod Touch.

William
03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Lance Armstrong

Sorry, I just wanted to set off Lance's blackberry. :D

William

Ray
03-31-2008, 09:26 AM
I took a similar path that the op is taking. I went from a cell phone to a blackberry pearl. When the pearl gets a bit more used I'll switch to an Iphone. I do worry about durability. I carry my phone all the time and I;m very tough on them. The blackberry has been bomb proof.

JG
I've thought about the Pearl - its about as small and light as one of those all-purpose gizmos get. I know it does email well, but do you need a blackberry account or can it handle web mail stuff like gmail as well? Also, does it have the full PDA type of application with calendar, address book, etc? And no music, right?

-Ray

J.Greene
03-31-2008, 09:37 AM
I've thought about the Pearl - its about as small and light as one of those all-purpose gizmos get. I know it does email well, but do you need a blackberry account or can it handle web mail stuff like gmail as well? Also, does it have the full PDA type of application with calendar, address book, etc? And no music, right?

-Ray

I use an ATT data plan on the pearl. I have emails from several accts cominng into the blackberry using separate folders. It's a full pda with camera and video. It also has limited music capabilities, but I'd in no way compare it to an ipod, more like an mp3 player of 5-6 years ago.

The main weakness of the pearl is screen size. I'd like to be able to see websites better.

JG

blharrell
03-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Have an iPhone and wouldn't trade it for anything, except a newer iPhone :)
I don't find it complex at all and I know some real technophobes that have iPhones and rave about how easy it is to use.
I have nothing but positives to say about it. I put a screen protector on it and carry it on rides, no problems. Had it since Aug last year and just keeps ticking away. I find it easy to put in my front pocket, even jeans. Don't see a big weight/size difference than other multi-purpose phones.

It will change how you view the mobile internet because the screen lets you do email better, surf more easily, etc.

Brent

PS - don't work for Apple but wish I had bought stock when Steve came back.

CarbonCycles
03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd ask what your primary function of the phone/pda. Is it business or personal? Do you text a lot or cruise the web? Each phone has its' strengths and weaknesses. BB is great for enterprise but somewhat of an overkill for personal esp since the data packages can get pretty pricey. The iphone is migrating over the enterprise area, but it will need some time to develop mature apps. However, it's a great PDA for everyday use - as stated above...beware a new iphone with significant upgrades is around the corner. Also, I'm still an oldtimer that believes CDMA gives the best signal...YMMV

rockdude
03-31-2008, 10:48 AM
I have a Blackberry curve without the data plan. In the last year, I tried the Razr, Noki n75 and then moved to the BB. I only use the phone functions but it is ez to use and has the best reception of any phone I have used. Also, the battery life is great. I love the phone...

avalonracing
03-31-2008, 11:03 AM
I own an iPhone and if I had to I would buy it again tomorrow for twice the price!
For starters it is the easiest piece of equipment that you will ever own. I hand it to people and they use it perfectly without ever having seen one. You press the main button to take you back to home and that is all you need to know.

It has been crazy reliable, and helps me organize everything. Here's the funny part. I don't even use it for the iPod functions (which are superlative). I just use it as a phone, contact manager, datebook and camera.

Whether you get a deal on a current one or wait for the second gen just buy it you will not regret it.

BTW- I do NOT own any stock in Apple or AT&T.

malcolm
03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Saab is right the next generation iphone is due out in June according to a friend that is a mac guru. It is expected to be software and hardware upgrades to make it more business and push email friendly, whatever that means. The software part will probably apply via download to the older phone but hardware changes are expected as well. I'm with Saab and waiting for the new one.

Bruce K
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks so far.

The key message that i am getting from all of this is WAIT.

As my RAZR is working fine other than the battery life, I'll just watch the charge status for now and see what happens with the new iphones.

My usage is mostly personal but the ability to track e-mails, etc. and keep my calenadar all on one unit, especially when traveling has great appeal.

Thanks for all the feedback and don't worry Ed, I don't even answer my cellphone when I'm riding, I only use it for emergencies. But the camera aspect would be a nice added feature when I go to CO in August.

BK

CarbonCycles
03-31-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't even answer my cellphone when I'm riding, I only use it for emergencies.
BK

You won't believe the number of ppl I see do this...it scares the living beageezus out of me when I see someone reach into their back jersey while on a ride to answer a friggin call :argue: :crap:

Now that's jacked up

akatsuki
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I am waiting for the 3G iphone personally. There is also the 3G Blackberry coming out soon, but with Exchange support coming to the iPhone, it is a bit of a toss up (only because of the keyboard issue).

I am all for eliminating extra devices personally...

MarcusPless
03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks so far.

The key message that i am getting from all of this is WAIT.

As my RAZR is working fine other than the battery life, I'll just watch the charge status for now and see what happens with the new iphones.

BK

Check out ebatts.com (http://www.ebatts.com/) and Cell Phone Battery Warehouse (http://www.batteries4less.com/) for more reasonable prices on replacement batteries. I've bought from both places in the past and didn't have any complaints.

--Marcus

DukeHorn
03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Call me strange, but I'm all for not being connected to the "real world" all the time. I don't want to check work e-mails when I'm at home or when I'm riding. I don't want to hear people talking on the phone at the top of Mt. Shasta or in Yosemite. I don't want to watch TV or surf the net on a 3 inch screen when I'm on the DC Metro.

I take my iPod to the gym, but I don't take my LG Chocolate. Seriously, who wants to hear the phone ring while bouldering.

I take my cellphone into work but not the ipod.

When I sit in the back of a classroom to watch my grad student lecture, it steams me to see students surfing on their laptops/iPhones. So I boot them out and tell them to come back when they're ready to learn.

Me<-------old fart

William
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today on the iPhone and IT deparments use/non-use in business.

William

maunahaole
03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
When I sit in the back of a classroom to watch my grad student lecture, it steams me to see students surfing on their laptops/iPhones. So I boot them out and tell them to come back when they're ready to learn.

Me sez boot them out and then cover material that will be on the next exam. Say 35%-40% of the grade. See how quickly they learn.

Then again my wife (the college prof) thinks that I'm too harsh.

Ti Designs
03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Call me strange, but I'm all for not being connected to the "real world" all the time. I don't want to check work e-mails when I'm at home or when I'm riding. I don't want to hear people talking on the phone at the top of Mt. Shasta or in Yosemite. I don't want to watch TV or surf the net on a 3 inch screen when I'm on the DC Metro.

When did the real world become the person on the other end of the cell phone? Does that make what's around you the virtual world? Here's a simple test to see which one is real. Drop your cell phone - did the person on the other end get hurt? OK now ride your bike into a parked car. Get my point?

J.Greene
03-31-2008, 07:18 PM
When did the real world become the person on the other end of the cell phone? Does that make what's around you the virtual world? Here's a simple test to see which one is real. Drop your cell phone - did the person on the other end get hurt? OK now ride your bike into a parked car. Get my point?

Yo TI,

you've been very negative lately. What's up?

JG

itsflantastic
03-31-2008, 07:41 PM
my girlfriend has one.
it's amazing.
really.

either that...
or just ditch the cell phone altogether.

I've been leaning that way these days :)

CNY rider
03-31-2008, 07:46 PM

Along these lines......you could move to this part of upstate NY and not have any cell service at all most of the time.

Pure bliss. :beer:

C5 Snowboarder
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
I have a razr also and was unhappy with battery life , then I saw extended batteries for the Razr on Ebay at $6 or so plus shipping. Was hesitant but I thought for 6 bucks what the hell - worth the gamble and I was surprised when it arrived and worked so well. It is thicker in the back so the phone is easier to hold on to but battery now lasts 4 days or so. Give it a try - it may be the cheapest option.
:banana: :banana:

maunahaole
03-31-2008, 09:09 PM
The extended batteries for motorola can be tricky because they come in different sizes, you may need a new battery door as well.

C5 Snowboarder
03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
The extended batteries for motorola can be tricky because they come in different sizes, you may need a new battery door as well.

You are correct --- it came with it. Looks like a factory fit - - it is well done.

here is about 400 of them

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=razr+battery+extended&category0=
:beer: :beer:

saab2000
03-31-2008, 11:08 PM
You won't believe the number of ppl I see do this...it scares the living beageezus out of me when I see someone reach into their back jersey while on a ride to answer a friggin call :argue: :crap:

Now that's jacked up

Half the time when I am on the ride I am also on call for my company..... :no: It is the nature of many peoples' work. Ride with the phone or don't ride.

BTW, I don't crash no-handed.

cody.wms
03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
the iphone is the best thing ever invented. Thats how I feel about it. I have a 16gb model.

Ive had a Sidekick II and a Sidekick ID in recent years, and carrying that phone along with an ipod was way too bulky.

CarbonCycles
04-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Half the time when I am on the ride I am also on call for my company..... :no: It is the nature of many peoples' work. Ride with the phone or don't ride.

BTW, I don't crash no-handed.

Note to self, if ever asked to go ride with saab2000, be sure to let him out wayyy in front :p

saab2000
04-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Note to self, if ever asked to go ride with saab2000, be sure to let him out wayyy in front :p

Usually hanging out in my hard earned position at the end of the group! I fight for that spot! :banana: