PDA

View Full Version : stumbled onto Suzy while surfing the bicycle tech newsgroup

eddief
09-08-2004, 06:17 PM
If Suzy can build a beautiful frame so can we.

go to:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/sjackson/

and then scroll down on the left side to click on her personal framebuilding adventure. She does nice work.

pale scotsman
09-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Cool and informative site! I stumbled across it from the pacenti links page at http://www.bikelugs.com/pacentilinks.html a while back. Good way to spend a few hours learnin' about my fa_vo_rite frame material. :beer:

Climb01742
09-08-2004, 07:02 PM
eddie, does your wife know about suzy? ;)

Bill Bove
09-08-2004, 07:08 PM
I enjoyed reading her piece. Having built my own frame once, using Talbot's book, I can attest that yes, you can build a bike. But, BUT, it really isn't just about mitreing and brazing up a bunch of tubes into a frame. It is part magic. Guys like e-RICHIE, Ben and others have something in their fingers that the rest of us do not, I don't know what it is but it is there. I have read Ted Wiliams' book, The Science Of Hitting at least twenty times but I still can't hit a little league fastball. There really is magic in the world.

eddief
09-08-2004, 07:10 PM
things about being single. The good thing is you can go anywhere you want in reality and virtually. The not so good thing is that you yearn for interesting, athletic, frame-building women like Suzy.

Too Tall
09-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Dat gurl is waaay out there :cool: Thanks. Someday I'll do frame building class it is on my "Yeah BABY" list of things to do before I die.

Dekonick
09-09-2004, 10:13 AM
I am impressed.

Nuthin like a Sachs, Kirk, Serotta, etc... but nicer than some lugged stuff I have seen.

I wonder if she also does her own engine rebuilds, grows her own soy to make the tofu she probably eats, etc...

Kudo's to anyone who is patient enough to learn and do all she has done.

Tony Edwards
09-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Wow - very impressive work IMO, especially considering she was working without a jig/frame table. I wonder how straight her frames are. Her homemade telescope is pretty neat too.

William
09-09-2004, 11:12 AM
I agree, WOW! Not bad at all.:cool:

It's something that I have thought about trying for quite a while. Now I'm thinking again....though I still have the same old size issue to deal with.

Hey Too Tall, wanna go out to Oregon for a little UBI schooling? Playing with fire and wilderness riding, what more could you want?:D

William

cpg
09-09-2004, 12:45 PM
I enjoyed reading her piece. Having built my own frame once, using Talbot's book, I can attest that yes, you can build a bike. But, BUT, it really isn't just about mitreing and brazing up a bunch of tubes into a frame. It is part magic. Guys like e-RICHIE, Ben and others have something in their fingers that the rest of us do not, I don't know what it is but it is there. I have read Ted Wiliams' book, The Science Of Hitting at least twenty times but I still can't hit a little league fastball. There really is magic in the world.

Perhaps a certain aptitude is necessary but it really boils down to experience. The more you do it the better you can get. Of course, I'm referring to framebuilding not baseball.

Climb01742
09-09-2004, 12:50 PM
i don't pump my own gas, so building my own frame...no. BTW, to everyone who pumps their own gas, when you go out to eat, do you volunteer to wash your own dishes? ;)

Too Tall
09-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Oh I want alright AND hit the Velodrome.

William
09-09-2004, 04:14 PM
YEAH BABY, ALPENROSE!!!

I'm ready when you are! :D

William

Too Tall
09-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Jan 3 - Jan 14, 2005 Chromoly Brazing Frame Building - Tuition $1825, Reg. Fee $150

Tempting very tempting. Tell me again why we have to work for a living?

I REALLY need to recalculate the mememememe vs wife algorythm again...will get back to you.

Dekonick
09-10-2004, 06:22 AM
I like that -
memememememe- vs wife algo.

mememeshesheshemeshemeshemememeshe :D

lithiapark
09-10-2004, 08:26 AM
If any of you come to UBI I'd be happy to meet you and take some rides in this area with you. April to November allows riding up into the hills fairly reliably. In between can be limited by snow, both on the road and off. A lot of the off road is quite ridable when it is wet, the soil behind Ashland is decomposed granite, and mud is not an issue, just a little care not to tear up the trail. Ashland is about 2000', the roads and trails go up to 5000, (7000 if you want to go to the top of Mt. Ashland when the snow melts-last mile and a half is 'cross or mtb granite road). Snow doesn't usually stay down in the valley, but can limit you to flat rides.

William
09-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Hey, I have relatives near Ashland. Make your own ride with professional help, good food, free sleeps, and lots of gorgeous rides in the area. Man that sounds good!! Maybe plan for spring or late summer learning excursion. Oregon almost always has beautiful indian summer Septembers. What do ya say TT? :D

Thanks for the invite lithipark, might just take you up on that. :cool:

William

DWF
09-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Jan 3 - Jan 14, 2005 Chromoly Brazing Frame Building - Tuition $1825, Reg. Fee $150

Tempting very tempting. Tell me again why we have to work for a living?

I REALLY need to recalculate the mememememe vs wife algorythm again...will get back to you.
Yeah, you guys should definitely go, UBI is a hoot! Ron Sutphin and his crew do an excellent job of cramming the basics of framebuilding into a two week period. Many, if not most, of today's successful builders, myself included, have attended UBI. For your $1850, you get to spend two weeks in Ashland, a cycling paradise for both road & MTB, you'll be immersed in framebuilding minutia, and you get a custom frame to boot. What could be better?

Oh yeah, go to UBI and when you've finished the class and want to continue to build, I'll have my hooks in you!!!! You'll be calling me for framebuilding tools like a strung out junkie and then I'll be taking all the money your wife doesn't know you're spending. Mwwwhhaaaaaaa!!!!

e-RICHIE
09-10-2004, 12:42 PM
DWF-issimo asked:
"Oh yeah, go to UBI and when you've finished the class and want to continue to build, I'll have my hooks in you!!!! You'll be calling me for framebuilding tools like a strung out junkie and then I'll be taking all the money your wife doesn't know you're spending. Mwwwhhaaaaaaa!!!!"

is suzy using your tools?
e-RICHIE

ps

:no: :no: :no:

arrange disorder

William
09-10-2004, 08:14 PM
I'll have my hooks in you!!!! You'll be calling me for framebuilding tools like a strung out junkie and then I'll be taking all the money your wife doesn't know you're spending. Mwwwhhaaaaaaa!!!!

So your the Jig pusher that hangs out on the corner wearing the bulky overcoat that I've heard about on the frame builders forum? I can resist your wares, you can't get me hooked on that...um...nice...um...err...quality looking...ahemm...gulp...OK, OK, HOW MUCH FOR THAT BASE MODEL FRAME JIG UNDER YOUR COAT!!!!!

pant
pant
pant

Come on man, ya got to sell it to me...please!!

William ;) :D

suzyj
09-20-2004, 01:50 AM
things about being single. The good thing is you can go anywhere you want in reality and virtually. The not so good thing is that you yearn for interesting, athletic, frame-building women like Suzy.

Dude, ya really gotta get out more. Too much net time is clearly bad for ya, ya start saying nonsensical stuff. :)

Blimey you lot, you're gonna make it hard for me to fit my head through the door. Stop it, please !!! E-richie et.al are the ones who are really deserving the attention, not a wannabe-novice tube-burner like me.

Cheers,

Suzy

William
09-20-2004, 05:34 AM
E-richie et.al are the ones who are really deserving the attention, not a wannabe-novice tube-burner like me.

Well, E-richie and others are the cream of the crop, but your article inspired me to give frame building a try. :cool: I'm getting geared up with the help of one of the knowledgeable builders on the frame builders list.

We'll see what results... :D

William

vaxn8r
09-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Blimey you lot, you're gonna make it hard for me to fit my head through the door. Stop it, please !!! E-richie et.al are the ones who are really deserving the attention, not a wannabe-novice tube-burner like me.Suzy

Suzy, you should be proud. I'm impressed with both the finished product but mostly with the patience it took to get there. Well done!